What would this AR be classified as?

arshorty.JPG

If the AR has this type of muzzle device, fixed carry handle, but doesn't have that type of adjustments on the rear sight (only adjustable from the top with by pressing in a pin and rotating) and collapsible stock?

Just curious

arshorty.JPG

If the AR has this type of muzzle device, fixed carry handle, but doesn't have that type of adjustments on the rear sight (only adjustable from the top with by pressing in a pin and rotating) and collapsible stock?

Just curious

Don't know, but I want one, although probably sol & jwf in MA..

Looks non-AWB compliant to me. If the 4-5" flash hider/muzzle break isn't permanently attached, then it might also be a SBR, which requires the NFA tax stamp.

It certainly is not compliant if it is postban.

I'd call it an XM177 as well, they used the original M16 sights.

+1 on XM177 (clone), with an A2 style upper.

The rear sight you described is the earlier A1 type (adjustable for windage using the tip of a live round).

It may or may not be an SBR or may or may not have the suppressor permanently attached. There are 'faux' type XM177 suppressors that slip over a
16" barell that are threaded about 1/4 of the way from the muzzle end.

Last edited:
Yes A1 type sights...

I own one. It's a pre-ban rifle, that I purchased as a Christmas gift for myself this past Christmas. I found a guy in MI that purchased 4 of these before the ban went into effect. He put them brand new in the box, in a closet (planning on making a butt load of money during the ban) and forgot all about them. The ban is over for most states, and he decided to just let them go. I ended up with one, that was unfired.

I was just asking, because I don't know much about AR's and wasn't sure what type of flash suppressor it was, what it's called, if it's a desirable config, what I should watch out for, and all that stuff.

I've only had it to the range once so far, and it shoots nice, it's accurate, and I have added a few things to it.

Anything I should know about a gun in this config?

CAR Clone would be a better description. Vietnam-era M16 carbine. Stands for Colt Automatic Rifle? A1 upper, of course. Sometimes had the long FS like this one or a slightly longer barrel and the A1 FS. In the movie (Christ, I can't think of the name of it. The Oliver Stone one with Charlie Sheen, Willem Defoe, Berenger), it's the carbine the two Sargeants carried.

I have two of them in that exact configuration on pre ban receivers. M4gery configuration with 11.5 inch Bushmaster barrels 1/7 twist and permanntly attached 5 inch flash suppressors. Great guns.

I guess I just get confused. All the lingo associated with AR's is still new to me. A1, A2, A3, M4, M4gery, CAR, CAR-15, Carbon-15. For the longest time, I was so against the AR platform I simply ignored all talk about them, and never looked up any information. Hell, the first time I even shot an AR was when I got mine, but the price was so good, for an unfired pre-ban rifle, so I got it.

Is there a good resource that has all this information in one place I can read?

Have fun Adam.

For pure technical info, nothing can beat the AR15-L List.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/AR15-L/

For tons of info and mis-info, religious fights, etc. there are the AR15 forums.

http://www.ar15.com/

Originally there was only an eList, however there was a major split and the reason will become obvious once you check into each of them.

CAR Clone would be a better description. Vietnam-era M16 carbine. Stands for Colt Automatic Rifle? A1 upper, of course. Sometimes had the long FS like this one or a slightly longer barrel and the A1 FS. In the movie (Christ, I can't think of the name of it. The Oliver Stone one with Charlie Sheen, Willem Defoe, Berenger), it's the carbine the two Sargeants carried.

Platoon..

Technically, an M4 would be an A4 upper receiver, a cut in the barrel for grenade launcher, A2 FS, and deeper cuts in the feed ramps.
An A4 upper receiver is one with detachable carry handle.

The upper on the bottom is almost an M4 clone (minus the A4 receiver and the 14" barrel). Note the fat M4 handguards and the cut in the barrel.
I bought that a few years ago in a "mall-ninja" moment.
ARs.jpg

Technically, an M4 would be an A4 upper receiver, a cut in the barrel for grenade launcher, A2 FS, and deeper cuts in the feed ramps.
An A4 upper receiver is one with detachable carry handle.

The upper on the bottom is almost an M4 clone (minus the A4 receiver and the 14" barrel). Note the fat M4 handguards and the cut in the barrel.
I bought that a few years ago in a "mall-ninja" moment.
ARs.jpg

Fourth one down, is that a DPMS, if it is I have the exact same rifle except it's a left hand ejection and it's dead on balls accurate...

Fourth one down, is that a DPMS, if it is I have the exact same rifle except it's a left hand ejection and it's dead on balls accurate...

It is a DPMS and it is quite accurate. I've only shot Fed GMM through it, but it will do MOA or a bit better. I bought it with the idea of re-barelling it to 260 or something. Haven't got that far yet.

Back
Top Bottom