What would have caused this? .223

I picked up some Remington UMC .223 from Dick's last week during the sale. I got out to the range today and shot about 40 rounds of it, then on the next trigger pull, a nice BOOM and the mag came flying out of the gun. Scared the crap out of me and then I looked at the round, bullet still intact, but the whole bottom of the case was black. There was a crack in the primer and it looks like the blast came out of the hole/crack. Initially I thought it was a pierced primer, but I'm not sure as I've shot about 4,000 rounds through my AR without a hiccup. I tried to get better pics, but that was the best my camera would do.

Also, everything on the gun is fine. I was certain the BCG was going to be toast, but it was perfectly fine. After that happened, I tried some different ammo and the gun functioned perfect. Any ideas as to what would have caused this?

1kqar.jpg

1ccyB.jpg

Looks like the wall of the primer failed and the entire force of the blast came out that hole.

Similar to a pierced primer.

Contact Remington and they will take care of you. Have heard they send you a whole new box or more when things like this happens.

Remington UMC is shit....For what you pay for it - even on sale, you can buy Federal XM193, Privi M193 or Winchester Q3131 and have a nice day....

This.

The first .223 I bought was UMC. I only bought it once. The brass isnt even good for one reload.

It's hard to tell from the pictures, but it could have been a hot load.

Remington UMC is shit....For what you pay for it - even on sale, you can buy Federal XM193, Privi M193 or Winchester Q3131 and have a nice day....

Or you could buy twice as much Wolf, a much cleaner, higher quality product that gets the same number of reloads as UMC [laugh]

The only UMC I have in quantity is .30 Carbine since there's not that much choice (plus it's pretty good in that caliber, and I have older, higher quality UMC). For .223/5.56, there are much better choices.

yes and wolf will refund you for your unused ammo if you dont like it......Remington is very slow to offer any recourse. I have had a few cases of Rem gun club shotgun shells with multiple defects in one case.

I have recieved 20,50 giftcertificates and a big thank you. The email response goes like this. Thank you for your input and information on lot numbers and detailed pictures. Continued customer feedback only increases our quality......something to that.

If the bullet was still intact would the primer creat enough preasure on the primer wall/pocket to blow it out and not the bullet? I have hit primers with hammers to scare the guys in the shop. They are very load.

Back
Top Bottom