What would Boris do?

shotgunwilly870

NES Member
I was at our towns holiday festival tonight and they open up all the historical shops in town here's a pic of the blacksmith shop,I was thinking how cool it would be if Boris came and started building another shovel AK instead of the nails and horse shoes they were making, has anyone else build a forge like this I'd like to once I get my garage built.
ru6agehu.jpg

That's a charcoal forge, appropriate for the period, but not nearly as good as a coal forge.

I've built multiple forges as an erstwhile bladesmith since I was 11 or 12, including a primitive hole-in-the-ground that used a section of thin pipe that used to be the sissy-bar riser from a bicycle, fed by a plastic foot pump intended for inflating air mattresses. [grin]

I've burned everything from green twigs to high-quality smithing coal, and have dabbled with propane forges (effective for production and with greater temperature control, but with zero emotional satisfaction).

There's nothing like shop-grade coal and a hand-cranked Lancaster blower.

One of my younger fraternity brothers, whom I've never met in person but look forward to getting to know, is the blacksmith at Old Sturbridge Village.

Back
Top Bottom