What was the purpose of the Desert Eagle (50AE)?

I saw Fred's Desert Eagle up on the classified board, and it reminded me of a conversation I had with some non-gun person a few weeks back. One idiot was spouting some crap about the Desert Eagle .50AE being the standard issue sidearm of the Israeli Army. I corrected him and explained why the Desert Eagle was not a practical standard issue sidearm, and that IIRC the IDF carried various 9mm pistols (BHP, Jericho, possibly GLOCKs, etc). So another person asked a very good question, to which I have no idea -

What was the purpose of the Desert Eagle? Why was it designed?

I imagine the R&D costs to design a new pistol and new caliber from the ground up are quite significant. Usually when a new firearm is designed, there is some large potential customer either supporting the development, or at least motivating investors. The only people I know of who use the Desert Eagle are Hollywood and guys who want to impress their friends. So why would a company put so much money and effort into designing a firearm that no one is going to use?

Anyone have any insight?

I think it is just like anything else; lots of people will always want the biggest, loudest, "best" new thing on the market. Just like a high horse power car or a house with 6 bathrooms or a new iPhone and the list goes on and on.

We all have a little of that in us, I have a truck with all the options that were around when it was built, do I need them? No. But I like them and if I had money I would get a bigger more expensive truck.

That being said I have no idea if there was a military or governmental reason for its creation.

Because it's gas operated and shoots large caliber rimmed revolver ammunition as an autoloader. It is somewhat more unique than other autos in that way.

Because it's gas operated and shoots large caliber rimmed revolver ammunition as an autoloader. It is somewhat more unique than other autos in that way.

Well, the other versions do, but .50 AE isn't explicitly a revolver
cartridge- it has a rim like what you find on autoloader
type cartridges.

-Mike

Purpose?

The purpose is to make some really large gapeing holes in whatever you shoot at and drain the money out of your wallet as fast as you can pull the trigger.

Then again, all guns pretty much do that.

I'll take two please....

from world.guns.ru

The Desert Eagle Pistol was conceived in 1979, when three people with an idea for creating a gas- operated, semi-automatic, magnum-caliber pistol founded Magnum Research, Inc. in St. Paul, Minnesota (USA). Early pistols, then known as Eagle 357, were announced in 1982

Magnum Research, Inc. patented the basic design of the Desert Eagle in 1980, and the first working prototype of the pistol was completed in 1981. It was about 80% functional, with a rotating bolt, full gas operation and excellent shooting characteristics. The final refinements to the pistol were made by Israel Military Industries (IMI), under contract to Magnum Research, Inc. After research that included thousands of rounds of test-firing, a fully functional .357 Magnum production model was produced in an edition of just over 1,000 pistols. These pistols, collector's items today, have traditional land-and-grove rifling, and they will not accept extended barrels or caliber conversion kits. The serial numbers for these pistols start at #3001.
Development of the Desert Eagle was not yet complete, however, in 1985, the barrel was changed to incorporate polygonal rifling, to help enhance the pistol's accuracy. In 1986, a .44 Magnum version of the pistol was perfected; it was the very first semi-automatic .44 Magnum pistol successfully brought to market.
Further enhancements to the Desert Eagle line continued. In 1987, the .41 Magnum Desert Eagle Pistol (not currently in production) was introduced to fill a specific market niche. In 1989, the Mark VII model of the Desert Eagle became standard. All Desert Eagle Pistols manufactured since 1989 have Mark VII features: enlarged safety levers, an enlarged slide release and an improved, two-stage trigger.
In around 1996, Magnum Research, Inc. successfully introduced the .50 Action Express Desert Eagle Pistol to fill an unmet need in the sporting/hunting market. Since Magnum Research introduced the caliber - once considered impossible to build - several other manufacturers have begun to produce .50 Magnum (a.k.a. .50 Action Express) firearms, but only one semiautomatic pistol design survived to date, and it is the Desert Eagle (there are few semi-custom or limited production revolvers and rifles made in this caliber as well). During the same period the basic design was upgraded to current Mark XIX specifications. Key improvement was the adoption of one frame size for all calibers (before that, mark I and Mark VII pistols had different frame sizes for different calibers). This unification allowed to use different barrels on same frame, permitting easy change of caliber with switch of only few components - barrel, magazine, and bolt (there are two nomenclatures of bolts used in Mark XIX pistols, one for smaller .357 Magnum ammo, and another for larger .44 Magnum and .50AE ammo; this is possible because .50AE case has rebated rim of the same diameter as .44 Magnum).
Today Desert eagle pistols are used for competition shooting (in disciplines like Silhouette shooting) as well as for hunting and general plinking (although the cost of gun and its ammunition makes it rather expensive fun gun). General belief of the Desert Eagle being used by various Special Operation forces so far found absolutely NO proofs. Indeed, for the price and weight of this empty gun one can easily have two pistols like Glock 17 or SIG-Sauer P228 plus good supply of ammunition; furthermore, these pistols will be much more reliable in severe combat conditions, and provide much bigger magazine capacity. Add to it severe recoil in its larger calibers (especially .50AE), huge muzzle blast and super-loud sound, and you'll see why only Hollywood warriors use this monster as a combat weapon. In real life, if you need a weapon more potent than a typical combat pistol (such as Glock or SIG-Sauer or Beretta or any other respectable model chambered for caliber between 9mm and .45ACP), you shall get either a rifle or submachine gun, period.
One last note - Magnum Research company, trying to capitalize on the fame of this pistol, also used Desert Eagle moniker to sell entirely different sidearm, the Jericho 941 pistol, also made in Israel by IMI. While Jericho looked like scaled-down Desert Eagle, in fact it is entirely different weapon inside, and, unlike its bigger brother, a truly useful combat weapon in its own right.

Desert Eagle is a gas operated, locked breech weapon that uses stationary (but removable) barrel. Locking is achieved using the separate rotating bolt with four radial lugs that enter the breech of the barrel for engagement with respective cuts. Bolt is inserted into open-topped slide, which is operated using gas, which is bled from the bore through the small port drilled close to the chamber. Short stroke gas piston is located below the barrel closer to the muzzle, and gas chamber is linked to the gas port with long channel, bored below the barrel. Trigger is of single action type, with exposed hammer and ambidextrous safety, located at either side of the slide. Magazines are single stack, with different configuration for each major caliber. Sights are either fixed or adjustable, both front and rear being dovetailed into the barrel and slide respectively. Recently made pistols also had top of the barrel shaped to accept scope rings directly.

What was the purpose of the Desert Eagle?
Hunting Cape Buffalo? Elephants? Grizzly bear?

Why was it designed?
Because there was a new caliber in town, and someone just HAD to say that "this is the most powerful handgun in the world" about a new gun. That, and because there are recoil sluts out there (like my buddy Siggy) who just can't live without the biggest and baddest. Hey, if you like loud noises and can afford it - go for it!

Or more simply... because they knew someone would buy it. [smile]

I have one, and it is all of these things:

1. Unwieldy.
2: Top heavy and uncomfortable to shoot.
3: Incredibly heavy.
4: Difficult to clean and field strip.
5: Expensive.
6: Low capacity.
7: Quirky to the point of unreliable.
8: Almost impossible to conceal and therefore carry.

And it's probably my favorite auto-loader of the bunch. [smile]

It truly is a "why ask why" kind of thing. I have also wondered what IMI/Magnum Research was/is thinking with the gun, as it is entirely useless from a tactical/military standpoint. I concur with the old "I know I know, let's make a huge cartoonish handgun that fires revolver cartridges with an AR-15 style bolt and a floating mag! That'll wow 'em!"

I think this is the same thing that went through God's head when he created the duck-billed platypus.[grin]

I love my .44 Magnum DE, and I have every intention of buying a nickle plated .50AE shortly.

If you want one of these guns, you'll like it. It is what it is.

Ok seriously, am I the only one who thinks this?? Why an SKS, Why an AR, Why anything more than a .22???

To Blow Shit Up?? Of course!!! Haven't you seen the movies???

Hollywood? The more people accept firearms as an everyday so to say, American PRIVLEDGE, the more people will NOT go to thier town hall or write the politician to enact a gun ban because they think just anyone can buy a gun... NONE THE LESS!

Now back to the question of the use of a .50 caliber semi auto. Why have a tank, why have a F-16 or even a SUV for that matter? All are very useful and yet all have the same *YES* death rate? Yes I said death rate, but think animals too not just humans (we have to be PC now don't we?), lol. WHAT was the last time you had read about someone being shot with, quote from SNATCH, "Desert Eagle point Five-O."? I surely have never, so why ban a larger caliber? Hmm because it's easy to convince the public that FIFTY caliber bullets are bad, BUT "Nine Millies" are just gang banger bullets and are no harm to you and me!

So everyone go out and vote and write your politicians because the FIFTY caliber bullet is a bad human seeking round, and has no use to anyone except the military, so if you want to shoot a .50 join them.

HOW ABOUT THE REASON WE HAVE A .50 CALIBER ROUND IS BECAUSE WE CAN! ISN'T THIS WHERE WE CAN BUY A SUV THAT GETS .15 MILES TO THE GALLON?? Yes it is, so why can't I buy a 3 dollar a round gun to shoot at my law abiding lesuire?

Sorry for the rant but if you want freedoms you really can't pick and choose which are ok and which are not. Especially in this hippe world.

YAY! Its Wedbesday!

**Rough week and I am watching 300 lol**

I think this is the same thing that went through God's head when he created the duck-billed platypus.[grin]

Exactly. I call it "BIC Syndrome"

As in, Because I Can!

Works well for me.[wink]

There's absolutely no practical purpose for a .500 S&W outside of bear country. I want one.
That is your right, sir. Enjoy. It's just a little too much gun for me to want to shoot on a regular basis; I want something a little smaller and saner... like a .44 Magnum. [smile]

Ok seriously, am I the only one who thinks this?? Why an SKS, Why an AR, Why anything more than a .22???

To Blow Shit Up?? Of course!!! Haven't you seen the movies???

Hollywood? The more people accept firearms as an everyday so to say, American PRIVLEDGE, the more people will NOT go to thier town hall or write the politician to enact a gun ban because they think just anyone can buy a gun... NONE THE LESS!

Now back to the question of the use of a .50 caliber semi auto. Why have a tank, why have a F-16 or even a SUV for that matter? All are very useful and yet all have the same *YES* death rate? Yes I said death rate, but think animals too not just humans (we have to be PC now don't we?), lol. WHAT was the last time you had read about someone being shot with, quote from SNATCH, "Desert Eagle point Five-O."? I surely have never, so why ban a larger caliber? Hmm because it's easy to convince the public that FIFTY caliber bullets are bad, BUT "Nine Millies" are just gang banger bullets and are no harm to you and me!

So everyone go out and vote and write your politicians because the FIFTY caliber bullet is a bad human seeking round, and has no use to anyone except the military, so if you want to shoot a .50 join them.

HOW ABOUT THE REASON WE HAVE A .50 CALIBER ROUND IS BECAUSE WE CAN! ISN'T THIS WHERE WE CAN BUY A SUV THAT GETS .15 MILES TO THE GALLON?? Yes it is, so why can't I buy a 3 dollar a round gun to shoot at my law abiding lesuire?

Sorry for the rant but if you want freedoms you really can't pick and choose which are ok and which are not. Especially in this hippe world.

YAY! Its Wedbesday!

**Rough week and I am watching 300 lol**

Hey guys, don't get me wrong here. I'm not suggesting there is anything wrong with the Desert Eagle, or that it shouldn't exist or anything like that. I'm just wondering how such a gun came into existance, and if there is any professional use for the gun besides making movies and making guys like us giggle.

The Desert Eagle was designed to sell more guns. I believe Mr. Jurras and his Automag can claim the honor for the first .44 Mag semi auto pistol.

Where is the Ad?

Umm, Who is "fred" and where is this Ad? I searched the classifieds here and only found a "baby" eagle listed there.
I've been wanting one for a while now.

Back
Top Bottom