What to use to clean up old barrels

I just bought a 1916 colt pocket .25, and I am going through it. The barrel is in good shape but pretty scratched up. I want to detail it. I also have an old prewar Walther Model 8 and want to do the same thing.

Are these just carbon steel? is there any plating on these things?? I realize I don't want to take off much material. I am thinking of using something like 1200 sandpaper by hand. on the barrel only Thoughts??

Last edited:
I wouldn't touch them to be honest...they are collectors items...BUT they are yours..maybe trying 0000 steel wool..it's super soft and shines things up nicely.

I know these are your guns but if you engrave or detail these guns you are destroying pieces of history. if you want to get some light surface rust off use 0000 steel wool with some CLP.

I would try 0000 steel wool...try a small spot to see if you get the desired effect.If you want to just try to "clean" the dust off so to speak.Try it on a piece of metal first to be safe so you know how much effort you have to use to get the look you want.

I know you just want to polish it a bit...but I can't give you good clarified advice without seeing it.

If you are trying to polish it up to a mill finish(shiney like stainless)....unless it already looks like that I wouldnt.

I wouldn't put too much stock into that though. I recently got my hands on my Grandfather's M1 Garand (in terrible shape [crying]) and did the best I could to clean up the thing. You will only be able to do so much and the effect is usually minimal.

Back
Top Bottom