What to look for in a field dressing knife?

GML

NES Member
My apologies if this is a dupe, but I tried searching and couldn't find a specific thread for my question.
I am looking to buy a knife for field dressing deer, and was wondering if anyone could tell me what qualities of a knife make it good for this task?
Thanks for the advice!

Here's what I like:

1. Fixed blade. Folders are hard to clean.
2. Drop-point blade no more than 3". Any more and you're going to start nicking things you don't want to and maybe cutting yourself.
3. A good gripping surface--things get slippery enough when your inside a deer. You don't want a real smooth surfce on the knife handle.
4. No serrations, gut hooks or other gew-gaws. Just a nice sharp blade.
5. Do yourself a favor and also get a Spyderco Triangle Sharpmaker. Best thing I've found for keeping that knife sharp.

I went to Dick's, and looked at a bunch of 'em, then just settled on what I could afford, which was a nice Browning 111. I don't recall exactly, but it was under $40. You can go crazy on this stuff, but really the main thing is to get one made out of quality steel (like Sandvik), that will hold an edge. Mine's folding, which I like. Mine has a black hard plastic handle, versus wood or something like that which would get dinged up.

My brother and I had this discussion recently. I decided on this one, my brother liked [URL="http://www.havalon.com/the-piranta-knives.html]this one[/URL]. I liked being able to get a better grip on the blade, while he wanted something ridiculously sharp.

Here's what I like:

2. Drop-point blade no more than 3". Any more and you're going to start nicking things you don't want to and maybe cutting yourself.
3. A good gripping surface--things get slippery enough when your inside a deer. You don't want a real smooth surfce on the knife handle.
5. Do yourself a favor and also get a Spyderco Triangle Sharpmaker. Best thing I've found for keeping that knife sharp.

Buck is giving excellent advice. A sharp knife is key. It should EASILY shave hair. You also don't need a huge knife; IMO 4" blade or less. A large bladed knife the blade just gets in the way. I cleaned a lot of deer with a Schrade sharp finger but the clip style tip was a PIA as you often poke stuff.

The Grohmann #1 is by far my favorite. It is reasonable priced, I think that I paid around $50.00 for it, and I have field dressed 4 or 5 deer with it and I have not had to re-sharpen it yet. It wasn't as sharp as I like out of the box but I am VERY particular about keeping a sharp edge on my knives. I use a Lansky Sharpener and polish the edge with a leather strop and a lapping compound.

no1.jpg

Bob

Thanks for all the replies, I definitely have a better idea of what to look for now!

THIS !!! The swingblade cuts field dressing time down to a couple minutes - when the wind is blowing and the temps freezing, you will be glad you bought one. It pretty much gaurantees not cutting open the gut bag and works even easier than a zipper.

When it is cold out there is no place better for your cold hands than inside a nice warm freshly killed deer.[smile] If you buy a knife that doesn't have a clip style point (real pointy) you can easily put a couple of fingers along side the blade, one finger on each side) and not cut open the rumen or intestines. You can even use both hands and accomplish the same thing.

Bob

I've been looking into getting one of the Cold Steel Pendleton Hunters. I have some of their other knives in this price range, and they are very, very nice for the money. Some of the Amazon reviews mention this one being a very nice hunting knife.

I own one.

Fantastic knife for field dressing. It's the right size and holds an excellent edge. Easy to clean too.

Here's what I like:

+1.. check out the SOG Field Pup. Good overall knife

Back
Top Bottom