What to do with a G22 (USPSA)

I've been shooting my HK USP .40 in Production Div using some nice soft minor loads and I plan to keep doing that as I learn more about the game (only have two matches under my belt so far); but I must admit to some envy as I watch the limited and open guys tear through a stage without dropping a mag every few targets. Looking at my current inventory I have an older Glock 22 that I was actually trying to sell but now I'm considering keeping and tuning as a Limited Div gun down the road. I know it's not the ideal platform, but with some Dawson base pads and a little finessing of the followers I should be able to get 19-20 (MA legal) rounds of 40 per mag, and with an aftermarket barrel it should be able to handle 170pf loads without destroying my brass. Add a FO front sight and some trigger work and I'm in business. I have the gun and 3 15rnd mags so I'd be looking at $90 in base pad kits, $150 for a barrel, $40 front sight, and $15-$250 on the trigger depending on how far I want to go with it.

So my question to the USPSA gurus here on the forum is this: "would this just be a waste of time and money?". given two competitors of equal skill, equal practice, both having the same luck on a given day how much of a disadvantage is the one shooting a G22 at vs the one with the SVI? is the flip and felt recoil on a plastic glock that much more than a nice metal 1911 platform?

or maybe I should just sell my car and get that 38 super open gun in the buy/sell...[shocked]

The sti is a far better gun, but if the the grip angle, crap trigger of the glock don't bother you, then shoot it.

But the real difference will come from learning how to reload quickly and at the right time. The difference in time is very small when you do it correctly

UUhhhh Mike. Grip angle is something that never concerned me with the Glocks.... a slightly modified (not expensive) trigger will do just fine.

Bottom line shoot the 22 for now, even the way it is. If you feel the urge to get an STI- do so. But don't think the Glock is going to hold you back.

I've been shooting my G22 in limited division and I like it a lot. Get three Dawson base pads, a set of Sevigny sights, and try it out. You may like it, or you may not. Worst case, you end up with a pretty sweet bedside table gun. But the Glock won't hold you back in competition for a while.

Put the aftermarket barrel at the bottom of your list. 172 PF spent brass from my factory barrel looks fine. I'd get a decent mag release and magwell first.

The recoil of the lighter gun from a shorter barrel is slightly sharper, but is offset a bit by the flex of the polymer frame. I find it to be very manageable.

I was just down in the shop re-familiarizing myself with the gun, I haven't put that much time on it since buying it 10yrs ago and it's been sitting in a consignment case for the past month and a half. you're dead on with the mag release bill, stock is definately not going to cut it and I realized I left magwell off the list. I pulled the barrel and chamber checked a few of my loads and I see what people mean about the unsupported loose chamber, looked kind of like when my 5yo puts on one of my hats! I guess the next step is to put 100 or so rounds through it just to get a better feel for how I like it and decide from there. it'll take some of my practice time away from the HK but oh well. thanks for the responses so far, keep em coming....

and yes, I need to spend more time working on my reload technique no matter what div I shoot, no doubt there's A LOT of room for improvement there...

The 22 is a good gun (I own one) and there are a lot of after market parts available to improve it BUT, if you shoot it in limited class, you will be at a disadvantage. The 22 weighs less than 30 oz. and you will be competing against shooters with 1911s that weigh well over 40 oz. The 22 is much more competitive in Production and the extra reloads are great training.

Shoot the G22 and learn the game. Until you reach the A or M lclassification evel, the G22 isn't really going to hold you back. There's much more to learn about the game that will help you improve than just buying an STI/SVI. Save the money for now (unless of course you're just looking for an excuse to buy another gun, which I total understand). Shooting the G22, you can bounce between Limited, Limited-10 and Production, as well as IDPA SSP and ESP, all with the same gear (depending if on what aftermarket parts you put on). Will also work nicely if you get into 3-gun. Nice thing about Glocks is they are reliable. I've been to more than a few matches where the only guns running w/out trouble are Glocks. Learn with the G22.

The 22 is a good gun (I own one) and there are a lot of after market parts available to improve it BUT, if you shoot it in limited class, you will be at a disadvantage.

What is this "limited class" you speak of? [rofl]

Boston, get a couple of base pads and a mag well and practice. You'll do fine.

Shoot the G22 and learn the game. Until you reach the A or M lclassification evel, the G22 isn't really going to hold you back. There's much more to learn about the game that will help you improve than just buying an STI/SVI. Save the money for now (unless of course you're just looking for an excuse to buy another gun, which I total understand). Shooting the G22, you can bounce between Limited, Limited-10 and Production, as well as IDPA SSP and ESP, all with the same gear (depending if on what aftermarket parts you put on). Will also work nicely if you get into 3-gun. Nice thing about Glocks is they are reliable. I've been to more than a few matches where the only guns running w/out trouble are Glocks. Learn with the G22.

+1 Glocks are very reliable but also very accurate.... and I agree 100% with everything Dave just posted... especially the part "if you need an excuse to but a new gun"... LOL

absolutely nothing wrong with the G22, except the fact that is lighter than the 2011 or 1911 platform. If you are already used to the Glock grip angle then you are half way to shooting it with success. the other half is a good trigger, with a couple spring changes and a little polish you can achieve a nice crisp trigger. with extentions for your mags you can get 19 rounds reloadable which is just as good as any other hicap. Just shoot the darn thing and have fun.

actually, I've been told on more than one occasion that I have VERY limited class [laugh]

I see Dawson sells a magwell with a brass slug to increase the frame weight by 5.5oz, any of you glockers using one of these?

Yes I use the brass insert on my G35. With all the ammo and the insert it gives the gun some extra weight and helps.

Here's my take on the G22 vs STI wrt weight only- for me- the weight makes a difference with Major loads for sure. Some people with larger paws/frames don't have much of an issue. But like everyone said- shoot it and have fun- to excel is USPSA it's not just about splits... trust me.

Yes I use the brass insert on my G35. With all the ammo and the insert it gives the gun some extra weight and helps.

Here's my take on the G22 vs STI wrt weight only- for me- the weight makes a difference with Major loads for sure. Some people with larger paws/frames don't have much of an issue. But like everyone said- shoot it and have fun- to excel is USPSA it's not just about splits... trust me.

that's one of my concerns, my hands are on the small side (pause for jokes to finish) and I need to see how much the glock is going to flip with major loads. I spent an hour at the range last weekend practicing my double taps at the 7m line and after 70 or so rounds of powder puffs I was getting the second shot off quickly and keeping both inside what would be the A zone, but those were 180gr with a pf of around 135. I have some major loads pressed and waiting for the chrono, just need the time to get over there...need to feel a 170pf recipe in the glock and see whats what.

If I were to use a Glock, I would use TAYLOR FREELANCE extensions with Wolff springs rather than Dawson. I have seen the Arredondo, the Dawson, and the Taylor and like the design of the Taylor better.

thanks, I'll check out the Taylors as well...what specific aspects puts it above the other two for you?

I should be able to make Harvard this Sunday (crap is that on Mothers Day??), I'll have to do some window shopping and see what other guys are runnin and why...

thanks, I'll check out the Taylors as well...what specific aspects puts it above the other two for you?

I had trouble with Dawson pads loosing the pins. The Arredondo pads I had for a M&P were not well made at all. Taylor Freelance seem to run better and worked well for the people I see using them in both Open and Limited Divisions

Everyone seems to have Dawson as the first reference because they market more. I would suggest one Dawson and one Taylor Freelance with the extra power spring and see which you like best. Then buy more of the ones you like. You have a lot of time to gear up and will most likely change a few times before you settle.

I have and use the Taylor Freelance pads as well. They are milled out of a hard plastic type material (Delrin perhaps?) and take a lot of abuse. I have an aluminum mag-well on my G-21 from JP enterprises and like it a lot. I don't feel the need to add any weight to my Glocks, but then again I have pretty big mitts as you know.

Bostonbullit, did you join HSA? if so, there is a club chronograph available to you, see me or Draper for access. Also I have my own unit you could use. (I'll fire the rounds [grin])

Thanks for the info and offer Mike. I joined HSA back in Dec(?) and didn't know about the club chrony so I went in on one with a buddy (ShootingChrony Beta Master). the problem is that I don't have the optional light setup for it and can almost never make it over the pits with enough time to put rounds over (or through) the thing. can you get reliable readings at the HSA indoor if you setup the chrono under the lights near the backstop? I always mean to look at what type of bulbs they are down there but forget once I get to shootin. I should probably just open the wallet and get a light setup but that's a base pad or two right there...

I might try a well with some extra weight, I see dawson now has regular, heavy, and really heavy and then there's the other brands so I have some choices at least....

Yes you do that...so that next time you wont shoot my half of the Chrony. :D

yea yea....so I hit the damn thing ONCE and I never hear the end of it. of course I only used it once so far so my % isn't that great but....tuff little buggers those ShootingChronys.

and back on topic, I have a spreadsheet worked up...mag ext/magwell/sights/(very mild) trigger/barrel/guide rod/ext mag release = $525 and change. not everything is "required" of course, just wanted to lay it all out and see what the end costs might be with the most common modifications. could add another few hundred going hog wild on a fulcrum trigger and race holster but I left that off the list [wink]. I'll treat this as a project to work on while I shoot the HK in production div this summer and maybe have it ready to go by late summer when I have a few more matches experience under my underbelt...

Pete, do NOT mess with the guide rod, the stock one will work just fine for many years. Also there is nothing wrong with the stock sights, your eyes are young enough to focus on the front sight. If you want to improve the trigger, then by all means get a #3.5 connector. TopGlock sells the Scherer model for ~$13 plus shipping.
Get 3 base pads for your current STANDARD capacity magazines and keep an eye out for 1-2 more. 10 round magazines come in handy during many USPSA stages. If your feet are moving, you should be reloading.
Practice reloads at home with a timer. Smooth is fast and repetition of the proper technique is key. Watch THIS for what I mean. If you still feel a mag well will help you, then by all means get one. Speed Shooters International sells the JP unit I have for around $32. That is more like $170 in parts. Spend the rest on more ammo and do some dry fire practice. [wink]

Good luck.

I need to get to the range (I know I know, I say that a lot) and see how the stock G22 does with my usual HK Produciton minor load (3.1gr Clays under a 180gr JHP), if it does well then I can grab a cheapo Uncle Mikes holster and give it a try in Prod. After this weekends match I can't make another for probably a month so I'll have plenty of time to figure it out. that stock mag release is going to be a killer though, tiny mushy mag release + smallish hands = sloooow reloads! need to practice practice. oh, and on that subject: how the EFF do you dry fire practice with a glock?? do I need to rack the slide 1" each time to reset the "safe action" trigger?? really?

Guess I'll scratch the guide rod off the list. After dropping a round into the barrel outside of the gun and checking the feed ramp area I don't get the warm fuzzies about how my brass is going to look coming out of the stock barrel, but I'll do the logical thing and actually fire a handful and see what the situation is. is the whole "glocked brass" thing overblown?

I need to get to the range (I know I know, I say that a lot) and see how the stock G22 does with my usual HK Produciton minor load (3.1gr Clays under a 180gr JHP), if it does well then I can grab a cheapo Uncle Mikes holster and give it a try in Prod. After this weekends match I can't make another for probably a month so I'll have plenty of time to figure it out. that stock mag release is going to be a killer though, tiny mushy mag release + smallish hands = sloooow reloads! need to practice practice. oh, and on that subject: how the EFF do you dry fire practice with a glock?? do I need to rack the slide 1" each time to reset the "safe action" trigger?? really?

Guess I'll scratch the guide rod off the list. After dropping a round into the barrel outside of the gun and checking the feed ramp area I don't get the warm fuzzies about how my brass is going to look coming out of the stock barrel, but I'll do the logical thing and actually fire a handful and see what the situation is. is the whole "glocked brass" thing overblown?

You can put a piece of folded you paper between the slide and barrel at the chamber, keeping it slightly out of battery, allowing the trigger to reset

Most of what I shoot is iron sights but I need to have either a fiber optic front sight or a gold bead front sight to really be able to see it fast. Every iron sight pistol I use in competition has been fitted with one.

Back
Top Bottom