What to do now that I have my C&R

I thought there was a post saying not to sign the original license, but to make copies and sign those instead.
I searched but I have been unable to think of the correct key words to yield any helpful results.
Am I correct that I don't want to sign the original?
I'm hoping some experienced C&R holders could offer a link or some friendly advise on do's and dont's for the new C&R collector
Thanks

I thought there was a post saying not to sign the original license, but to make copies and sign those instead.
I searched but I have been unable to think of the correct key words to yield any helpful results.
Am I correct that I don't want to sign the original?
I'm hoping some experienced C&R holders could offer a link or some friendly advise on do's and dont's for the new C&R collector
Thanks

My husband said make copies, and sign them when you need to send them out.. As far as getting advice as to where to buy stuf good luck.. People told him more than once that they didn't share that information.. weirdo's..[laugh]

As far as getting advice as to where to buy stuf good luck.. People told him more than once that they didn't share that information.. weirdo's..[laugh]

This has been discussed here time and time again but I'll go over it once more... reason being that people won't share is because the people he asked probably don't know him well enough to share info regarding distributors.

All it takes is for the wrong person to hear someone mention a distributor they got a C&R gun from. In the past 2 years about a half dozen companies have stopped shipping C&R eligible guns to Massachusetts C&R holders due to the fact that they were pressured by the AG's office.

As for the OP... do not sign the original but do make copies of it and sign the copies in blue ink. Keep the original tucked away safe and use an unsigned copy to make more copies if you have to. When you send or give someone a copy of your license, write somewhere on it For Your Files.

These days your best bet on finding a good deal is from an add in Shotgun News or on Gunbroker.

Don't forget to send copies to Brownell's and Midway, both of whom will give you the same discounts they give to 01 FFL holders.

Ken

This has been discussed here time and time again but I'll go over it once more... reason being that people won't share is because the people he asked probably don't know him well enough to share info regarding distributors.

All it takes is for the wrong person to hear someone mention a distributor they got a C&R gun from. In the past 2 years about a half dozen companies have stopped shipping C&R eligible guns to Massachusetts C&R holders due to the fact that they were pressured by the AG's office.

Really?? Did anyone really think he was the AG in disguise?? I doubt it..

I knew those who live in Ma. won't discuss places who ship to Ma. That's fine with me since I live in Maine and I've bookmarked about 2 dozen C&R places. Shop names are not my issue
I was more worried about the do's and dont's. I don't want to make any rookie mistakes.
I think I also read that some people write "File Copy for xxxxxx" on the top of the license before faxing?
Thanks for the replies

Since you're in Maine you should be able to find many more distributors that will ship to you, than if you lived in MA.

As far as "dos and don'ts", not really sure what kind of "registration" requirements you Mainerds have, but be sure to keep a bound book of everything you aquire via your C&R. Even if you buy a firearm that qualifies as a C&R without actually using the license, (you're uncle Franky gives you a WWII Luger), you should be logging that into your bound book.

I got my bound book from Brownells. You can actually make your own if you wish, but you'd have to make sure it contains all the correct columns to fill out info for aquisition/ deposition.

Also, If you ever decide to sell one of your C&R firearms, you must log it out of the bound book, with all the proper info of who you sold it to. Remember that you are not authorized to "engage in the business of selling firearms", with the C&R license, so when if/when you do sell one, you should have the mentality of "I'm selling this item so I can afford to buy another C&R firearm to further my collection". Or at least, that's what a BATFE agent will want to hear if they ever decide to look into you.

There's tons of other little tidbits of info you'll probably need to know as you start collecting C&R's, there's many guys on here that know way more about it than I do.

Have fun!

Back
Top Bottom