What portable water filter for canoe trip?

Pilgrims Pride

NES Member
AS usual title says it all.
My boy and I did the bow trip on the Moose River in Maine a few years back and the water filter we had didnt work well.
I think maybe there was to much sediment or something in the water.
It clogged up the filter pretty quick and made it all but useless after that.

We are going again in May after ice out and before black fly season.
I'd like to get a better set up this time.
Any thoughts on a not terribly expensive, but still decent enough for the occasional 5-7 day trip?

Thanks,

Bob

Keep sediment out of your filter by rubber-banding a coffee filter to the end of the hose.

I'm a fan of the Katadyn Hiker...... Relatively compact and easy to use....
Katadyn-8013629-Hiker-Water-Microfilter

+1

I've used the Katadyn while hiking all over the white mountains the past few years, and it works great for me. the filters are a little pricy for replacement, but i am still on my first filter.
I maintain it pretty well - after every trip i wash and soak it all in a light soulution of bleach and water, and let it completely dry before putting it away. Theyre great to have on long trips, as you dont have to carry the weight of all the water you might need, just the filter and whatever amount of water you'll need until the next stream crossing.

It looks like the downside of the sawyer squeeze is that its slowww coming out (if using for cooking this might be a fault), the sawyer 2 bag system is what im gunna get

Sent from my Apple I

Back
Top Bottom