What is the next big thing?

I think electronic dot sights may start to show up on carry guns.

Competition developments sometimes make it to "operator tools". Just look at how ACOGs and EOTECHs have become the norm on service rifles - something that happened years after competitors found that putting one of these on their AR allowed quicker more accurate hits. Also look at how semi-autos were the norm on the action shooting circuit well before revolvers were phased out as a common police sidearm.

USPSA has introduced "carry optics" (generally a small slide mounted red dot sight). As power supplies and sights improve, it becomes practical to carry a weapon with one of these sights either always left "on", or at the ready, and the low mount allows see-through to iron sights as a backup.

Happy April Fools Day?

If it is an April Fools joke, it's pretty convincing because it's all over the net right now.

I just read the answer to the rotation dilemma:

Software Indexing Magic Creates Stable, Viewable Image

How is the image viewable though the bullet is spinning at thousands of RPM?

The answer is surprisingly simple — and achieved through software. The bullet RPM is referenced by a microprocessor, so the camera’s software simply snaps a picture of the target every few micro-seconds, when the target is in exactly the same orientation. The lens is spinning, but it only captures visual data once every rotation (i.e. image capture is rotationally-indexed). This “stream of stills” is then blended into the video feed. What the viewer sees is a stable movie as though the camera was mounted on a non-rotating, fin-stabilized projectile. This rotationally-sequenced image-capture process made the whole project possible. We’re told that the Pentagon was so impressed with the technology that it is looking to fit Bullet-Cams into a variety of spin-stabilized ordnance, including artillery shells and large-caliber (.50 BMG) sniper rounds.

You realize some antis are going to take that fake ammo seriously and propose legislation or fundraisers off it?

I think electronic dot sights may start to show up on carry guns.

Competition developments sometimes make it to "operator tools". Just look at how ACOGs and EOTECHs have become the norm on service rifles - something that happened years after competitors found that putting one of these on their AR allowed quicker more accurate hits. Also look at how semi-autos were the norm on the action shooting circuit well before revolvers were phased out as a common police sidearm.

USPSA has introduced "carry optics" (generally a small slide mounted red dot sight). As power supplies and sights improve, it becomes practical to carry a weapon with one of these sights either always left "on", or at the ready, and the low mount allows see-through to iron sights as a backup.

I can definitely see carry optics being a popular incremental change. Theoretically, it is easier to put a dot on an object than it is to focus on the front sight while not focussing on the rear sights or the target. Like you mentioned, the competition> military> civilian usage of rifle optics has already occurred and will likely happen with pistols too. I read that some new military guys dont even know how to use iron sights?

I think there is a tremendous potential for future, non-lethal weapons. Weapons that can instantly disable a threat with high accuracy and effect.
Would a non-lethal weapon have the same intimidating effect that a lethal weapon would? In other words, would a bad guy run away at the sight of a taser or equivalent? Would LE have any indication to completely remove lethal-force from their arsenal?

Great point you brought up. Definitely worth discussing further. Until then, we can always fantasize about storm trooper phasers set to stun mode [wink]

Back
Top Bottom