What is the best 7.62X39 ammo?

I am wondering what 7.62X39 ammo would be best for targets? something relatively accurate and all without "breaking the bank"!

Golden Tiger FMJ-BT. Rileys usually has it, MFL might have it... some stores might have it in MA, but most will charge you too much for it. It used to be about $200 a case but it might be more now... it was up to almost $300 a case during obamascare but last I knew the prices came way down.

-Mike

I have heard good things about the Lapua 7.62x39 and I believe the cases are reloadable. Bad side is that you'll easily spend over $1 a round for it. What are you shooting it out of? I like my AK ammo like my women, cheap and dirty.

Golden Tiger FMJ-BT. Rileys usually has it, MFL might have it... some stores might have it in MA, but most will charge you too much for it. It used to be about $200 a case but it might be more now... it was up to almost $300 a case during obamascare but last I knew the prices came way down.

-Mike

That was one that I was looking into, glad you mentioned Golden Tiger, makes me feel a little better that I was checking on it! :), so far I have found it at approx. $235 a case.

I have heard good things about the Lapua 7.62x39 and I believe the cases are reloadable. Bad side is that you'll easily spend over $1 a round for it. What are you shooting it out of? I like my AK ammo like my women, cheap and dirty.

I am using a Chinese SKS that I have modified and is STILL a work in progress! LOL! ;)

You should slug your barrel and reload your ammo yourself if you want any certainty. Otherwise, mass produced ammo is just that, buy what you can and shoot it until your skills are better than the ammo.

I am wondering what 7.62X39 ammo would be best for targets? something relatively accurate and all without "breaking the bank"!

I assume I can translate your request as for "cheap, cheap ammo that still works".[grin]

I was at the range last night and someone came in and was shooting an SKS with Brown Bear. It's Russian, steel-cased (a gray color), and apparently new...not surplus stuff. He went through at least 40-50 rounds with no issues, clanking the 100yd steel plates over and over. I've seen this brand before at my online ammo dealer in various rifle calibers. I just checked now and 7.62X39 is available for as low as $0.21 per round in large quantities. I don't own an AK/SKS/Mini-30/etc., but this seems damn cheap to me.

+1 for Brown Bear, I have shot loads of it out of my SKS and AK without issue, it is steel cased and not reloadable but for the price its great stuff, accuracy is adequate but its sure not match quality by any stretch of the imagination...

Purchased 7.62x39?

Yugoslavic m67 if you don't mind cleaning your guns after shooting corrosive ammunition. It's by far the most accurate 7.62x39 that I've ever shot. Period. It's what I use in my AKs.

buy it by the crate and get one of these. Your magazines will pound down those SKS stripper clips.

tl-k060-m.jpg

Last edited:

short answer: the kind that goes bang.

Purchased 7.62x39?

Yugoslavic m67 if you don't mind cleaning your guns after shooting corrosive ammunition. It's by far the most accurate 7.62x39 that I've ever shot. Period. It's what I use in my AKs.

buy it by the crate and get one of these. Your magazines will pound down those SKS stripper clips.

tl-k060-m.jpg

the long answer. not for the lazy guys who don't like cleaning. you're supposed to clean an AK? i don't think i've done anything to mine, maybe i'll douse it in brake cleaner soon. [laugh]

Yugoslavic m67 if you don't mind cleaning your guns after shooting corrosive ammunition. It's by far the most accurate 7.62x39 that I've ever shot.

Same here. I don't know that I've seen much of a difference with all of the new production stuff, but they all seem to have their true believers. (The Romanian Hot Shot stuff is what I'm using now; it seems fine.)

Purchased 7.62x39?

tl-k060-m.jpg

I'll look around and see if I can find any, found a couple places but true to form... "NO ammunition to MA" so I will keep searching! or just go with the Golden Tiger for now. but still looking for that "special" deal for some nice prices!

I only know one person who shoots 7.62x39 for accuracy.

he has one of these http://www.remington.com/products/archived/centerfire/bolt-action/model-799.aspx
He got it cheap at a gun shop that was tired of looking at it. "who the hell wants a 7.62x39 bolt gun"
He claims 1.5" groups with Remington and lapua ammo....says he has squeezed a few sub groups with his handloads but also said the planets where aligned and god was pull the trigger.

I have yet to see him shoot personally yet ?????

If you install a spring loaded firing pin kit you can shoot modern production ammo like Winchester and get great better accuracy than surplus/Russian ammo. Reason behind a spring loaded kit is because commercial 7.62x39 ammo like American Eagle, Winchester, etc, has soft primers and you can wind up with a slam fire if you have original bolt components.

Hornady makes new production 7.62x39 thats ok with original bolts. Its made like the Russian stuff. Steel cased, non corrosive berdan primed, but with Hornady bullets and better powder. Its supposed to be very accurate but expect to pay about $30 for 50 rounds.

The Yugo stuff is considered to be the best military ammo out there but the fact that it has corrosive primers keeps a lot of people from shooting it, because a lot of us get lazy when it comes to cleaning guns.[smile]

Myself I stick to Golden Tiger in an SKS and Romanian Hotshot or Tulammo in an AK. I've got a ratty Chinese code /26\ SKS that I shoot Golden Tiger through. On a good day it keeps up with Garands.[grin]

Back
Top Bottom