What is Moly Coating?

What is Moly Coating? I am currently looking at purchasing a used firearm that has been Moly coated. What are the advantages and disadvantages of Moly coating on a handgun. I tried looking this up elsewhere, but could not find much info. Thanks

Attributes of Molybdenum

• [*=left]Good Machinability
    [*=left]Corrosion Resistance
    [*=left]Low Thermal Expansion
    [*=left]Excellent Strength and Stiffness at High Temperature
    [*=left]Excellent Thermal Conductivity
    [*=left]Ductility
    [*=left]Easily Fabricated
    [*=left]Low Emissivity
    [*=left]Electrical Resistivity
    [*=left]Low Vapor Pressure
Common Applications

• [*=left]Filaments
    [*=left]Contacts
    [*=left]Heat Shields
    [*=left]Jet Tabs
    [*=left]Rocket Nozzles
    [*=left]Brazing Fixtures
    [*=left]Boring Bars
    [*=left]Tools
    [*=left]Missle Parts The only thing I have used with Moly is grease
    [*=left] Hope this helps.

http://www.johnnorrellarms.com/molyresin_about.asp

The thermally cured coatings are formulated from a phenolic resin base and molybdenum disulfide (a superior lubricant) with an exclusive blend of additives that create a phenolic coating that is a hard, durable, chemical and heat resistant state-of-the-art finish.

molybdenum disulfide suspended in phenolic resin binder.

phenolic resin is one of the earliest polymers first used in the beginning of 20th century. main component of famous bakelite. Although still in use it has been mostly supplanted by more modern performance polymers.

it's just another coating in the group of other similar specialized coatings that performs adequately but neither excels nor lacks behind it's competition.

i wouldn't worry about getting a gun finished with it. afterall it's all about the gun and not the coating it has painted on, right? :)

Last edited:
I've heard of moly-coated bullets (I used to do it), but never a completely moly-coated gun.
It's usually a powder substance that gets imbedded in bullets by tumbling action. It's comes off on your hands when it's touched. Just don't see how they'd do a whole gun in it, and not sure I'd want to own it.

I've read many people moly coat USGI mags. The moly dry lube coating works good. Thinking of moly coating a few mags.

Back
Top Bottom