What is a Good Position?

This is what I did and from my Marine Training and Combat Rifle Training, I hope it helps someone. I am not trying to preach/brag, only give info to someone who may be able to use it.

Natural Point of Aim is where the rifle falls AFTER the recoil and BEFORE you take Muscles to make adjustments to get back on the target.
I would walk up to the Firing Point, close my eyes, line my shoulders to face the target (Off Hand), Plant my feet and feel for the good turf. I would then raise the weapon to my shoulder and get into a body fit, the rifle would be across the front of my chest and was NEVER held outward by muscles that would grow tired long before the relay was half over. I would have my forward arm on the Collar(M16) to the rear of the Forestock. Cradling the collar between my thumb and first finger, my hand would end up close to the Ejection port and this is where you must be careful not to allow a rd to bounce off of your hand and back in and jam, to prevent this keep your fingers extended or tightly curled. My forward elbow was tucked into my body and MY BONES were doing the supporting and not my Muscles. The bottom of the 20 rd magazine would be less than a 1/2 inch from arm. My right hand would be pulling the weapon into my shoulder. My eyes are still closed and I would then wiggle the rifle up and down and left to right and then let it fall back to its NATURAL Position. I would open my eyes and see where I was on my target. I would adjust my feet and nothing else and then close my eyes and wiggle the rifle again and repeat the process until I was 6 o'clock on my target, NATURALLY. Why 6 o'clock? It is far easier to bring the SIGHT up to the target than it is to have the target hidden behind the front of your firearm and you have to search for it, Time is usually too critical to be wasting it.
This is what the Prep period was used for, to find a good position and be ready. Once in a Solid, Good Position, I would NOT move my feet, I was there for duration. What a good NATURAL POINT of AIM does for you is allows your rifle to fall naturally onto your target and you save a 1/2 a second or so on each shot by not having to do Target Searching or dressing. It also eliminates the chance of CROSS FIRING and giving points to the other guy, unless you have a Great Natural Point of Aim on their target instead of yours.
Natural Point of Aim and a Good position is essential to HIGH Scores.
In Every Position my nose was up tight against the Charging Handle. I had the same Sight Weld.
I would then amuse myself by looking down the firing line and see how many NUTs were moving about, talking and not taking the time allocated to build a good position or after they had a good positio would get out of it and go back to their stool or whatever. Every level of matches, I saw this and I would wonder how they ever got this far. They were usually the ones Wailing at the Wailing Wall and talking about all of the What Ifs.

It is what you learn after you know it all, that counts.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom