WHAT , i thought mosins where unstopable!

mac1911

NES Member
Well by design the trigger spring/sear is pretty well doomed by design, its just a matter of how many rounds does it take.

now time to buy some replacements

any tips on good quality parts before i do something silly like get a Timney

Ouch. At least since 37,000,000 were made, there should be a replacement out there somewhere, heh.
There was a karma on a Mosin Timney trigger a bit back. ebay has one for $88 which is the lowest I've seen.

I remember Mosins priced about the same as that Timney trigger, LOL.

Hey Mac, be sure you get the right parts so that you don't affect the collector value. [smile]

I remember Mosins priced about the same as that Timney trigger, LOL.

Hey Mac, be sure you get the right parts so that you don't affect the collector value. [smile]

Collector value.... I make mother Russia proud shoot rifle till no shoot!

I think the bolt polishing, sight mods and re crown ruined any collector value...but as a re arsenal bulk surplus shooter it's more than doubled in price since I picked it up.

Also the bore looks better and better after each round of cast loads I run through it. I'm thinking of getting some lapping compound and embedding it into some bullets and fire lap it a bit.

Last edited:
Meh. Simple rifle for the hordes of Russians. It function, not pretty but it works. But like anything mechanical it will fail. I even jammed a full auto ak47 overseas. I bet you can find a part pretty easy.

Meh. Simple rifle for the hordes of Russians. It function, not pretty but it works. But like anything mechanical it will fail. I even jammed a full auto ak47 overseas. I bet you can find a part pretty easy.

just posting for fun..... if you shoot it they will break eventually......... AK jam what did you do use Brass cased US ammo [laugh2]

At anytime did you try to change the sear spring shape ? The only time I have seen this failure was after someone tried to change the tension as per several Finnish bulletins. There are two people selling Finnish trigger set on the e-bay site.

Good luck.

89054555.jpg

At anytime did you try to change the sear spring shape ? The only time I have seen this failure was after someone tried to change the tension as per several Finnish bulletins. There are two people selling Finnish trigger set on the e-bay site.

Good luck.

89054555.jpg

Nope no mods on this one. I put a bit of lapping compound on the mating serfaces about 6 years ago and that smoothed things up a bit.
If you look at the break with a magX glass it looks as if theres either a slight void or maybe some deteriation "inside" the metal.
I know i put about 2500 rounds on this since i bought it. Plus the last year or so i put another 800 cast loads trying to find some accuracy with this old bore.

Collector value.... I make mother Russia proud shoot rifle till no shoot!

I think the bolt polishing, sight mods and re crown ruined any collector value...but as a re arsenal bulk surplus shooter it's more than doubled in price since I picked it up.

Also the bore looks better and better after each round of cast loads I run through it. I'm thinking of getting some lapping compound and embedding it into some bullets and fire lap it a bit.

My coworker in Germany grew up in East Germany and had mandatory service in the army. They periodically had to qualify at the range with their Mosins. They'd shoot the bare minimum number of shots and carry the Mosins into the woods for a smoke. As long as they were out of sight they did not get asked to do anything. So there might be a reason those re-arsenal Mosins don't look like they were used much.

Fortunately it's an inexpensive part. Just some careful fitting. I have seen many that have been worked on in some basement that were not safe to handle after the work.

MosinTriggerMod2_zpsavjbw54f.jpg

MosinTriggermod_zpslc4wfi8c.jpg

mosin23_zpsrobzqli4.jpg

I don't play with the triggers to much.
A little dykem and see how the contact is. Then a ever so light hit with either fine polishing compound or my super fine stone. For my so far the easiest ,quickest and good enough for me method is just using lapping compound on the needed contact areas. It almost always improves the feel generally gets rid of any high snagging bits.
I don't change sear angles or attempt to remove every tool mark.

Last edited:

Hello,

I've come across some that were not properly heat-treated. They'd been hardened but not tempered, and they were brittle.

One trick is to have smooth surfaces, no sharp angles on contact surfaces. This helps.

Regards,

Josh

Hello,

I've come across some that were not properly heat-treated. They'd been hardened but not tempered, and they were brittle.

One trick is to have smooth surfaces, no sharp angles on contact surfaces. This helps.

Regards,

Josh

Thank you, I tried posting a response to your email for the trigger kit. I will have to pass at the moment. Funds need to build back up. The mosin has been rotated to the rear as far as projects/repairs go for a,little bit.

But... but how will the comrade behind you pick up your Mosin and carry on for glorious motherland?

oh, right. The bayonet.

No Timney! Rifle is fine!

The direction I'm going lately with most projects this thing will end up with red field Olympic sights, custom trigger and some sort of custom stock... and I will be shooting cast bullets at 200 yards with it[rofl][rolleyes]

UPDATE: I ordered a complete 91/30 trigger set and added a FINN trigger. The fin trigger I bought dropped right in and works very well. It's not the lightest of triggers but I liked the noticeable difference right from the beginning of a "2 stage trigger" take up on the first stage is stout but smooth. The second stage is nice and crisp.
The overall pull is a bit heavy but something I'm used to.
I think with a little use and a little polishing it will be very nice. I polished my previous trigger and went from 8lbs to 5lbs with just a light polish job.

Back
Top Bottom