What do you think about this Dillon 550 package?

This is from Brian Enos. I would still need to get a tumbler, caliper(s), cleaning media and lubricant but figured I could get that somewhere else. Is this is a good setup? Am I missing anything else or perhaps I should drop something from the list? What about the price?

• RL 550B in 45 ACP/GAP @ $ 406.95
  • Dillon 45 ACP Stainless Case Gage @ $ 12.95
  • Dillon 45 ACP/GAP Carbide 3-Die Set @ $ 60.95
  • 550B - As it should BE - Upgrade @ $ 141.99 ( includes: Strong Mount, Bullet Tray, Aluminum Roller Handle, and Empty Case Bin & Bracket)
  • Bullet Puller @ $ 24.95
  • Primer Flip Tray @ $ 16.95
  • 4-Pack - 2 Small & 2 Large Primer Pickup Tubes @ $ 19.95
  • Eliminator Balance-beam Scale @ $ 54.95
  • 550B Press Instructional DVD @ $ 19.95

Total: 759.59

Thanks

This is from Brian Enos. I would still need to get a tumbler, caliper(s), cleaning media and lubricant but figured I could get that somewhere else. Is this is a good setup? Am I missing anything else or perhaps I should drop something from the list? What about the price?

• 550B - As it should BE - Upgrade @ $ 141.99 ( includes: Strong Mount, Bullet Tray, Aluminum Roller Handle, and Empty Case Bin & Bracket)

Thanks

Don't need the "Upgrade" -141.99
Don't need the extra pickup tubes -19.95
Don't need the DVD -19.95

New total for package: $577.70

Prices seem to be in-line with North Shore Firearms.
Yesterday morning, they had all that stuff in stock. No waiting for the UPS guy.

If you are completely green regarding reloading, I recommend taking the free two part reloading seminar at Kittery Trading Post.

Don't need the "Upgrade" -141.99
Don't need the extra pickup tubes -19.95
Don't need the DVD -19.95

New total for package: $577.70

Prices seem to be in-line with North Shore Firearms.
Yesterday morning, they had all that stuff in stock. No waiting for the UPS guy.

If you are completely green regarding reloading, I recommend taking the free two part reloading seminar at Kittery Trading Post.

Bill,
Did you take the seminar? I went to one and I found that it really didn't explain much.

The videos that someone posted on here explain much more.

If you're only starting with .45 ACP you can forgo the small primer pickup tubes, and get a 4 pack of all large tubes instead. You definitely want
extra tubes as these make runs go faster if you have the tubes all loaded up in advance.

Parts of the upgrade are a matter of preference. You may or may not need the strong mount depending on the bench you have and its height. (Remember that it brings the press off the bench several inches, so it may be too high depending on your bench. ) If you forgo the strong mount, I'd also dump the bullet tray, as the press is then going to be at bench level, and you can just put the bucket of bullets close to it. Roller handle might reduce fatigue over long runs, but I've run a 550 without it, and not really experienced any discomfort.

-Mike

Thanks

I'm confused why the list contains RL 550B in 45 ACP/GAP
and then you have $60 going to the Carbide 3 die set.

Don't you just change the Dies to change calibers?
If so, how is your 550B coming in 45 ACP if you have to buy the dies?

I haven't reloaded yet so maybe I'm missing something.

I too looked at the Brian Enos page and had some questions.

I'm confused why the list contains RL 550B in 45 ACP/GAP
and then you have $60 going to the Carbide 3 die set.

Don't you just change the Dies to change calibers?
If so, how is your 550B coming in 45 ACP if you have to buy the dies?

I haven't reloaded yet so maybe I'm missing something.

I too looked at the Brian Enos page and had some questions.

You need a caliber conversion kit & dies (for each caliber). The base dillon comes with a caliber conversion kit (for one caliber) and NO dies.

Edit:
The caliber conversion kit includes the shell plate, locator buttons, and powder funnel (which expands the case and drops powder) for a specific caliber.

Last edited:

• [STRIKE]Dillon 45 ACP Stainless Case Gage @ $ 12.95[/STRIKE]
  • [STRIKE]550B - As it should BE - Upgrade @ $ 141.99 [/STRIKE]( includes: Strong Mount, Bullet Tray, Aluminum Roller Handle, and Empty Case Bin & Bracket)
  • [STRIKE]Bullet Puller @ $ 24.95[/STRIKE]
  • [STRIKE]4-Pack - 2 Small & 2 Large Primer Pickup Tubes @ $ 19.95[/STRIKE]
  • [STRIKE]550B Press Instructional DVD @ $ 19.95[/STRIKE]

Total: [STRIKE]759.59[/STRIKE] 539.80

Thanks

Here's the list I would go with. Everything else really isn't "as it should be", but just nice little extras. They are absolutely not essential. I would get a bullet puller. However, I got one from Cabela's that looks EXACTLY like the Dillon one, except it's green instead of blue. That, and it's $13.00 cheaper. As far as instructional videos, if you haven't seen these videos from the sticky in the reloading section, you definitely should. I used those when setting up my 550B and learning to use it, and they were perfect for answering every question I had....and they're free. You can get more accessories if you want, and in time you definitely will get more accessories. But if you just want what you need to get up and running, the list above is really all you need.

You need a caliber conversion kit & dies (for each caliber). The base dillon comes with a caliber conversion kit (for one caliber) and NO dies.

Edit:
The caliber conversion kit includes the shell plate, locator buttons, and powder funnel (which expands the case and drops powder) for a specific caliber.

I see. So every caliber needs a conversion kit and dies.

Yup. It also makes life a lot easier to get an extra tool head and powder hopper for each caliber. It's not essential, but it makes caliber changes a heck of a lot faster, as each caliber will have it's own tool head completely setup with dies. You pull 2 pins, swap, insert same 2 pins, and you're done.

Basically yes. Besides the .40/10mm, and .357Mag/.38spl sharing, there may be some other calibers that share a shell plate. But, generally you a unique caliber conversion kit/dies for each caliber you load for (with a Dillon)

Edit:
Here is an example of shellplate sharing between .223 and .380acp.

Last edited:
If you're only starting with .45 ACP you can forgo the small primer pickup tubes, and get a 4 pack of all large tubes instead. You definitely want extra tubes as these make runs go faster if you have the tubes all loaded up in advance.

I am planning on reloading .40 once I get the hang of reloading .45.

Parts of the upgrade are a matter of preference. You may or may not need the strong mount depending on the bench you have and its height. (Remember that it brings the press off the bench several inches, so it may be too high depending on your bench.) If you forgo the strong mount, I'd also dump the bullet tray, as the press is then going to be at bench level, and you can just put the bucket of bullets close to it.

-Mike

Thanks Mike. I wasn't sure whether I should order the strong mount as I don't have a workbench yet. I am not even sure if I am going to build one or buy it some place. I don't have much room so I would actually prefer something that could be wheeled out of the way when not in use.

Here's the list I would go with...
  • [STRIKE]Dillon 45 ACP Stainless Case Gage @ $ 12.95 [/STRIKE]

Isn't a Case Gage recommended?

I just use calipers to check the first round, then to a random spot check now and then. I picked up a used case gauge for 9mm and used it for one reloading session. I didn't really see the point so I haven't used it since. It's all a matter of preference, though.

YES. Mine has been a godsend in .45 ACP.

I've lost track of the number of times the little Midway gauge has saved my ass from possible jams and malfs. I run each round through it before it goes in the box to see if it hangs up or not. Sometimes the gauge will help you spot minor defects in the brass, etc.

This is especially true if you have a lot of "new" range pickup brass which is of unknown quantity/quality.

-Mike

Bill,
Did you take the seminar? I went to one and I found that it really didn't explain much.

Yes, I went to both of them.
The first one, "Intro to Reloading", is a general overview of the process.
I don't recall what they call the second one, but it goes into much more detail.
The instructor demonstrates shot shell and metallic reloading.

I found it useful because I had only reloaded on a single stage back when the earth was flat and they demonstrate on a progressive.

Having been through the seminars, it made the Dillon manual easier to understand while I was setting up my press. Now, after 3 weeks and about 2500 rounds, I'm very comfortable with it.

Kittery Trading Post has the 550b for 369.99 i didn't check what calibers they had because i already have a 550b....[grin] i thought yhat was a good price for the press.

YES. Mine has been a godsend in .45 ACP.

I've lost track of the number of times the little Midway gauge has saved my ass from possible jams and malfs. I run each round through it before it goes in the box to see if it hangs up or not. Sometimes the gauge will help you spot minor defects in the brass, etc.

This is especially true if you have a lot of "new" range pickup brass which is of unknown quantity/quality.

-Mike

Agreed - for 12 bucks you absolutely want to get a case gauge. As drgrant says, at some point you WILL have a round that has a cracked case or some other defect that would otherwise have caused a failure had you not caught it first

Thanks

I'd lose the DVD; all available on youtube.
Never used the bullet puller, more trouble than they're worth.
Get the as-it should-be upgrade. I did mine piece by piece and like the final result. Ditch the balance beam for an electronic scale too. You might think about getting an extra parts kit; cheap money and it won't bring you to a grinding halt waiting for that twenty-five cent spring.

After doing some further research and asking those with more knowledge than myself, I'm reversing my previous position about not needing a case gauge. It would seem that, in my instance, it's not that I haven't needed one, but rather that I haven't needed one yet.

Thanks

I would not purchase the upgrade to start with. I would definitely get the electronic
scale (I have a Dillon and only keep my mechanical as back up) as they are worth the
money. I would definitely get the bullet puller. You will need it. You don't need extra
primer tubes just yet (you will in the future). You do need the case gauge. You don't
need the video (see my PM). The Dillon case lube is very good. I would get a bottle
of it while you are ordering. If you are using only carbide pistol dies than you don't need
to lube your cases but if you do rifle you will need it. You will need a caliper (don't buy
one of the electronic ones or you will go broke on batteries). I have the Dillon dial
caliper one and they are as good as any other. I would recommend the Dillon case
tumbler. I have a 500, the small one, and it is a very nice one. I also have a Lyman
1200 which has served me well and continues to do so after quite a few years. I cracked
the base of my Dillon tumbler (my fault - dropped it) and Dillon replaced it under their
no-BS warranty for free.

On the other hand if money is no object then go for the whole enchilada, but I would start
with the electronic scale versus the mechanical one.

Get your media locally. The media I like is from:

Beede
24 Payton St.
Lowell, MA
978-452-8906
Hours: 9-5 M-F - closed Noon-One

(Tumbling Media)
Andersons Grit'-O'Cobbs 1014

It comes in a fifty pound bag (I think) and it is pretty cheap. You can also pick up
some small bags of walnut media at the local Wally World for cheap. The corn media
at the pet stores is usually ground large and I don't think it does a very good job cleaning
the brass. If you can get a bag that is ground small that would do fine as well.

Never used the bullet puller, more trouble than they're worth.

Dunno about you, but I don't like throwing away bullets, especially expensive ones. In this regard my bullet puller has probably paid for
itself already, although admittedly now I only have to use it once in awhile, I can't imagine not having it around. I have the cheapo RCBS
plastic one, and it works great. If one wants to be real cheap you could probably find a used one in a junk box at a gun store, eg, someplace
like KTP, Rileys, etc.... that has old reloading crap for sale. (I picked up a nice Rockchucker JR press for $35 at KTP)

-Mike

If the as-it-should-be upgrade is a savings over what those parts are individually, get it. I've run a 550 both with and without those items and I wouldn't run without anymore. $141 is fairly short money in the grand scheme.

EVERYBODY NEEDS a good balance scale!!!! NEVER trust an electronic one! I can't emphasize that enough.

I've got everything you've listed here, plus the electric case feeder setup. IMO, it's ALL worth it. The roller handle is a must for long sessions. Much easier on your hand and wrist. Unless your bench is really high off the ground, the strong mount places the press at a much more ergonomic height (I'm 5'10") and the bullet tray is a must have in this instance.

This being said, I went completely berzerk (when do I not?) and bought a removable toolhead, die set, complete powder measure assembly and toolhead stand for about 10 different calibers. Some of it I bought used, most of it was new. At a retail, it's gotta be north of 3 grand.

And it's all worth every penny. I haven't bought factory ammo in years, and the whole rig has paid for itself and then some.

Back
Top Bottom