• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What do you load for .44 Mags?

TWtommers

Instructor
NES Member
I like to have a powder puff load for my .44. Sometimes you're letting a new shooter have a go and nothing brings giggling pride like being able to say "I shot a 44 Magnum!!". A full magnum load though is not exactly for everyone so a low power load is nice to have on hand so I can see if they're capable of a full power magnum. I think I have a good powder puff round with a 240 gn soft nose jacketed bullet and 6 gn of Trail Boss. Makes a bang but doesn't snap the way a mag will.

As for me, I'd like to put together a more potent round with easy maintenance. Same bullets as I have them on hand but in addition I also have Unique, Bullseye, and Win 231 powders. I will certainly follow a recipe from one of my manuals but, given those powders, what will burn fairly clean? My 629 is stainless and gums up something fierce with dirty powders. I'd like to put a few more rounds between cleanings.

Any tips on 44 rounds are appreciated.

I use Unique for medium power loads with lead bullets in my .41 and .44 magnums. But you said "clean" so never mind.

If you want full power, look at 2400, H110/W296, or AA9.

I load up some .44 mag mouse farts with 180gn RNFP lead over 6.5gn Red Dot.
For more full power loads it's a 240gn LSWC over 20gn of 2400.

As for the loads being "dirty"....I tried a bunch of different things and settled on what seems to shoot well (for me at least). I can shoot a few hundred rounds through my 4" 629 and the gun certainly does get a bit smoky. Yet, the barrel is fairly clean and a quick hose down with Ballistol and a couple passes with a bore brush and all is good.

Last edited:
I just started loading the 44 not too long ago, currently loading 22gr of 296 under a 240gr Hornandy XTP hollow point for a paractice/plinking round. Haven't really gotten into the heavy stuff yet.

another vote for 2400. also i shoot a lot of lead using 44 regular/special formulas in 44 mag cases. thats to avoid the ring in the chambers from the shorter cases.
Missouri hard lead and mag primers burns clean with no leading

Okay, now an extra stupid question. All of the load data I find for 2400 calls for a Magnum Primer. I have only WInchester Large Pistol Primers for Standard or Magnum Rounds. I'm assuming that this is not going to do the trick. Am I right?

I haven't been able to find the magnum primers locally.

I shoot a 240 gr LSWC with 5.5 Grs of W231 or HP-38. It's a great light load but it does get my 629 a little dirty.

Curtis

This. I use 6.5gr of 231 and it's a pussycat load. It's pretty accurate as well.

As for my other loads I use Accurate #9. I find it much cleaner than 2400. I use 18.0gr with a 240gr Lead Bullet with either the #9 or the 2400.

Last edited:
Okay, now an extra stupid question. All of the load data I find for 2400 calls for a Magnum Primer. I have only WInchester Large Pistol Primers for Standard or Magnum Rounds. I'm assuming that this is not going to do the trick. Am I right?

I haven't been able to find the magnum primers locally.

All the load data I have calls for standard primers with 2400. IIRC, you should be good to go with WLP's to work up the loads with 2400.

I've found 23-24 grains of H110 and a 240gr Hornady XTP to be extremely accurate. I would not go any higher than 25 grains... the cases get a little sticky in the chamber at 25gr.

I've been using VV N110 recently for full power loads - 19.5 grains seems to be a good stout load. For lighter loads I use 22gr of 2400. I use WLP for both. I am going to try some 300-MP soon- that stuff is supposed to be great for fast loads, clean and very accurate. And it's cheap. These are with 240 gr plated bullets.

23 grs of VV N110 behind a 240 grs SJSP. Yep, that's a bit compressed, full power, but will not exceed pressure limits.

Have you chrono'ed them by any chance? That's above VV's published max load. A lot of the other manuals stop at 20gr as well, so 23 seems high.

I've only loaded Hornady 180gr XTP because I got a metric f*ck ton for free when I bought my set up. I worked up a load of 26.5 gr of 2400 that I shot in my Deagle.

Some pics and videos of the load.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just tried power pistol in 44. It worked well shot rather nice.

If you want full boat blast and flash 2400 is a good choice

I use 10 GR of AA5 over a 240gr Keith style hard cast bullet.

I came up with this mainly because it worked well, shot clean and accurate and used powder I already had.

Its not a full power load. Somewhere between a .44 Sp+P and a .44 magnum.

I'm still deciding between 2400 and AA9. My current batch of loads is AA9, but I'm starting to get a little leading with my 240gr hardcast so I know I need to dial it back a little bit. 2400 might be more economical because I'm getting roughly the same velocities with 1gr less of 2400.

Edit: I might try W296 because I use the same powder in .500 Magnum, but I dunno how well that will work with non-GC'd bullets. Everything I've read says you shouldn't download with H110/W296.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom