• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What did you do in the reloading room recently?

Smelted the last of my dirty pure lead at 49lbs. Then smelted 50lbs of clip on wheel weights throw a pound of 95 solder in that's what is in the pic. That leaves me 249lbs pure, 100lbs flashing and 40lbs of plumbing ingots. 50lbs of lino type and 25lbs of mono. And 10lbs of pewter time to figure out what cocktail to make probably hytek the ww and go from there
you have the base for many blends.
Plus selling off if needed.

Update on my Evo's vacation to Mk7 in Florida. I mailed my press off to Mk7 for a rebuild a few weeks ago and it came back last week. If you read my earlier posts (Mark7 Evolution - Tuning & Troubleshooting) my machine is one of the earlier ones and I had all manner of issues. I had some time over the weekend to finish setting up and after some initial tweaking I ran 50 rounds through the press late last night. 48 of the 50 dropped into the cases checker without issue. The other 2 only sat high by less than a 1/32" but did seat if I pushed on them. However, both of those rounds plunked tested in my barrel without issue, so I call that a pass. The new powder dropper is great and fine tuning is much easier. Once set up I checked a few rounds and it was spot on. Overall the press feels great and I think it's fair to say it's working as expected and far better than before. I simply never got 50 rounds in a row off the machine that all case checked before!

Attached a few photos of my set up. I build a 1" tube ceiling hanger with some stock I had laying around so I could get the case feeder and MrBulletfeeder off the press. I found with all that extra height up high on the press the whole press would vibrate when I cranked on the handle. This is in part due to table set up, but I'm too lazy to bend over any more and as this is an old Hamilton Drafting Table it will go up and down via an electric motor. Really handle for looking at something down low on the press! The concrete block add stability and the green tie downs lock the blocks to the base, but still allow the table top to go up and down. Normally the table top is in the all the way down positions. After initial testing this set up seems to be working fine.

I'm very happy with all the help I received from Misty and Tom of Mk7. Customer service was/is top notch and they went the extra mile to get my press up and running. Just wish that more companies would follow Mk7's lead on customer service. Thanks again Mk7!

Attachments

• Press_1.jpg
    Press_1.jpg
    208.3 KB · Views: 13
  • Press_2.jpg
    Press_2.jpg
    230 KB · Views: 13
Update on my Evo's vacation to Mk7 in Florida. I mailed my press off to Mk7 for a rebuild a few weeks ago and it came back last week. If you read my earlier posts (Mark7 Evolution - Tuning & Troubleshooting) my machine is one of the earlier ones and I had all manner of issues. I had some time over the weekend to finish setting up and after some initial tweaking I ran 50 rounds through the press late last night. 48 of the 50 dropped into the cases checker without issue. The other 2 only sat high by less than a 1/32" but did seat if I pushed on them. However, both of those rounds plunked tested in my barrel without issue, so I call that a pass. The new powder dropper is great and fine tuning is much easier. Once set up I checked a few rounds and it was spot on. Overall the press feels great and I think it's fair to say it's working as expected and far better than before. I simply never got 50 rounds in a row off the machine that all case checked before!

Attached a few photos of my set up. I build a 1" tube ceiling hanger with some stock I had laying around so I could get the case feeder and MrBulletfeeder off the press. I found with all that extra height up high on the press the whole press would vibrate when I cranked on the handle. This is in part due to table set up, but I'm too lazy to bend over any more and as this is an old Hamilton Drafting Table it will go up and down via an electric motor. Really handle for looking at something down low on the press! The concrete block add stability and the green tie downs lock the blocks to the base, but still allow the table top to go up and down. Normally the table top is in the all the way down positions. After initial testing this set up seems to be working fine.

I'm very happy with all the help I received from Misty and Tom of Mk7. Customer service was/is top notch and they went the extra mile to get my press up and running. Just wish that more companies would follow Mk7's lead on customer service. Thanks again Mk7!
for a press running $3000 the CS better be good.
unless it was operator error they also should be a little embarrassed.
i hope your getting a return on that investment?
are you feeding a giggle switch or two?
Not getting tgrough 50 rounds is something i expect from a sub $200 Lee press. Although Lee CS has been great for me.

That Mk7 does look nice though

Last edited:
for a press running $3000 the CS better be good.
unless it was operator error they also should be a little embarrassed.
i hope your getting a return on that investment?
are you feeding a giggle switch or two?
Mine was cheaper as I drank the Cool Aid really early in production. They had lots of little issues and a few big ones.......my press had all of them. I had Dillon 650 for years and it was running like a champ bar the 5 or 6 annoying things that Dillon and aftermarket parts will not fully address....but it was working. The Evo was a bit of a work in progress and unfortunately mine sat in a box as we sold a house, moved, bought and renovated the new place. So almost 2 years later all the kinks are out of the current production model and they rebuild mine will all the upgraded parts. I just needed to get it to FL, they did all the work and paid for return shipping. Keeping in mind it was officially out of warranty...but since I never ran it...it was still new! Yes, I'll be pulling a few happy switches to make up the cost....but as my wife says I'm a gear whore so the Evo is right up my alley!!!

Mine was cheaper as I drank the Cool Aid really early in production. They had lots of little issues and a few big ones.......my press had all of them. I had Dillon 650 for years and it was running like a champ bar the 5 or 6 annoying things that Dillon and aftermarket parts will not fully address....but it was working. The Evo was a bit of a work in progress and unfortunately mine sat in a box as we sold a house, moved, bought and renovated the new place. So almost 2 years later all the kinks are out of the current production model and they rebuild mine will all the upgraded parts. I just needed to get it to FL, they did all the work and paid for return shipping. Keeping in mind it was officially out of warranty...but since I never ran it...it was still new! Yes, I'll be pulling a few happy switches to make up the cost....but as my wife says I'm a gear whore so the Evo is right up my alley!!!
ahh yes gear whore will do it.
my buddy has a 1050 with every automated gizzmo that can be bolted to it. i think at best hes loading 500 rounds a year of 9mm

Loaded up 100 each 357 mag on the new turret. 35 minutes. 😁

Damn is it nice to be able to just pour some powder in the hopper......double check the drop weight.....and just run ammo for a few minutes.

125 grain zero jsp
16 grains of 2400
1.585 oal

Buildng up a hell of a stock of reloads now.

Have not run any 45acp on the turret yet.....figured with my new efficiency I'll run 357 while the dies are set up until I'm low on projos......then switch the dies out for some 45acp.

D52E7CD4-39BB-4DAE-A767-2D19AC86318A.jpeg 3.6lbs out of a 45 cal lee combo mold
45 cal 200 gn Lee R.E.A.L.bullet and 130 gn round ball. Cast from Roof Flashing that test in around 8bhn—-still on the hunt for pure for a 5bhn the lee real load much better with pure lead.
I can fit 4 round ball in a 12g 1 1/8 wad and load them into 2 3/4” shells for just a touch over 1oz
Also good for wrist rockets
The 45 will be stuffed into a percussion cap Hawkens style rifle

My cheap toaster oven is bad on both temp control and consistency - I think for blue you might need a PID controlled convection oven for easily repeatable results.

Broke into the 4lbs of Silhouette to make some test rounds with the new MP mold.
IMG_20200616_095549322_HDR.jpg

First time using Silhouette - stuff meters like a dream about

I loaded a few of Norm's 200 grain rnfp in .45Colt with BE-86 and Trailboss for use in the 1872 Open Top. Accuracy was about the same with each and not quite up to my expectations. Norm makes good bullets so I'm guessing this revolver just doesn't like the short bearing surface of the 200 grain. I'll try some of his 250 and 255 grain and see if they do better.

My cheap toaster oven is bad on both temp control and consistency - I think for blue you might need a PID controlled convection oven for easily repeatable results.

Broke into the 4lbs of Silhouette to make some test rounds with the new MP mold.
View attachment 365808

First time using Silhouette - stuff meters like a dream about
Nice! Are you loving the mould or what?

I tried multiple different approaches. Low temp, high temp. I even baked them for 30-40 minutes. So far Zombie green seems to be my color. I might mix up another batch of blue and try again. I’m using the bullet on the thermocoupler and I’m hitting the 185 C.

I tried multiple different approaches. Low temp, high temp. I even baked them for 30-40 minutes. So far Zombie green seems to be my color. I might mix up another batch of blue and try again. I’m using the bullet on the thermocoupler and I’m hitting the 185 C.
Weird. I would suggest hitting castboolits forum and asking the manufacturer. He’s very active on there and is awesome about responding in a couple hours.
I like zombie green better anyway. Screw the blue.

You are baking for 3 minutes after you hit 185°C?
That's supposed to be the magic number so it should work

Try coating a few, let them dry overnight then warm them up on top of the toaster oven while it comes up to temp.
That should rule out any left over moisture or residual solvent.

I’m late to the game so Pastera covered most of it.

Over baking makes the color darker but if you don’t go too far then it’s still useable just darker.
Re-melting won’t cause issues. The coating dries up and skims off. No residue left over

I’m late to the game so Pastera covered most of it.

Over baking makes the color darker but if you don’t go too far then it’s still useable just darker.
Re-melting won’t cause issues. The coating dries up and skims off. No residue left over

You guys need a casting and coating thread, kind of centralize all the info

I decided to say screw the blue and try kryptonite green. I’ve remelted this lead quite a few times now. Any chance the lead could be bad and that it’s causing future failures
There is a chance but if other colors coat properly with that batch then I doubt contamination is the problem.

Have you tried a new can of acetone? If the can is contaminated then all bets are off.
Remember - product only leaves the container. If you need some to wet a rag, pour it into a small dish, don't just put the rag over the opening to wet it. On a gallon jug this isn't as necessary but on a small container it is easy to get enough contamination to break reactions.

I think the casting / coating gods want me to only shoot green bullets. My batch of kryptonite green came out perfect. The only thing that was different was the container I mixed the color in. So I’m going to use a like container with the blue or red.

I have a general purpose can of acetone and a separate can I only use for mixing so it’s not contaminated. I can live with green bullets.

-Jay

Attachments

• C6906A58-6AB9-42BF-B125-FEFEBC1D6B20.jpeg
    C6906A58-6AB9-42BF-B125-FEFEBC1D6B20.jpeg
    450.8 KB · Views: 7
Took the Henry 357 to a gun club I've never been to yesterday afternoon. An old friend of mine has a membership at a small club and we had not seen each other in about 5 years (both of us have high school seniors this year and have been too busy with our own families for the last few years but that's another story). Anyway out if the blue he calls me and we shot the shit for awhile and decided on a whim to meet at his club. I had a bunch of reloads make up for the Henry and brought that along. His club has a 150 yard berm with a man hole cover hanging from a big frame out there. I took out the Henry and my buddy was immediately in love with it. Commented on how handy it was for length and balance (which I have to admit the second you pick up a steel carbine you just know it is a gun that's meant to be woods carried). Anyway.......I've never stretched the Henry out to 150 but being a manhole cover I figured I may be able to hit it more often than not. Holy crap we went through 100 rounds of my 125 grain reloads and never missed once! Ping ping ping!!! He didn't know I reloaded my own (he's a gun owner but not a shooter if you know what I mean) and didn't even know you could reload ammo. So now he's already talking about how he can sell an old civil war replica rifle that he doesn't use to fund a Henry rifle.🤣

Anyway....it was cool to bring just my reloaded 357 and have some good fun even out to 150 yards.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom