What did you do in the reloading room recently?

Got it......partially anyway. I'm looking at one of these in 44 - so I am interested in observing this first hand (22" w/ 1:20 w/BS receiver).
I wouldn't mind having one of those. Back when I was in the market for a single shot, I considered several possibilities, most in 45-70. Henry single-shots were sporadically available and thin on the ground back then. Ultimately, I chose not to adopt a new caliber to reload, and I cheaped out and got the CVA Hunter in 44M. I'm not sure how accurate it can be. I haven't figured out how to get better than about 2-3 MOA out of it, but the trigger is surprisingly nice. What I do like better about the Henry, besides the looks, is that it comes with irons. I'd like to have that option.

I have a .30/40 Krag carbine and use the Lyman 311284. It's a 210 grain round nose gascheck and is pretty close to the original in size and shape.
I kick myself for all the 30 cal moulds I’ve flipped over the years.
I had one of those and probably one of each of the most popular designs along with it.

Looks like the 311291 will not chamber in my Marlin unless I load it crimped over the front driving band.
Back to the drawing board.

I have to make a dummy from the Lee 150 grain RNFP later and see if that will work.

I’ve been doing a little reading in the 311291 and hear it’s good as a target bullet in the 30-40 Krag so I might try to load a few for that.
I have Lyman 311467 single cavity if you want to try it out

Looks like the 311291 will not chamber in my Marlin unless I load it crimped over the front driving band.
Back to the drawing board.

I have to make a dummy from the Lee 150 grain RNFP later and see if that will work.

I’ve been doing a little reading in the 311291 and hear it’s good as a target bullet in the 30-40 Krag so I might try to load a few for that.
that 311291 has been around what 100 years!
lots of 30/30s have short throats. Old trick from a old timer for getting your crimp in the crimp grove when your cartridge OAL is a touch to long for throat , cut your CASE length back a bit. Watch your powder charges as your reducing case capacity.

I have a nice mold I picked up from Ranch Dog its a 165 gn flat nose designed for the 30/30 it works well in every 30 cal platform I have ran it through, it will even cycle in the M1` garand.
NOE bought out Ranch Dog I believe

Last edited:
@Michael J. Spangler So I've read in several places that the recommended max velocity (handgun or rifle, in .44 mag anyway) for cast bullets if <1000 fps. Is this typical?
in a nut shell 1000 fps is about the "limit" for a plain based lead bullet.
If your bullet fit is to loose or to tight and your alloy is to soft or to hard you will have problems no matter the velocity.

More details of "what" a lead bullet can handle can be argued still.

Fit is a start
proper alloy/pressure match for obturation
lube and gas checks

this is a great place to start

I will add also that many people want to push the 44mag with cast loads at 44mag velocities. This does not always work well. Also in the Marlins with micro groove rifling. You need to find what works. 366 in 35 rem was only good with slow heavy bullets. I no longer have any lever guns and only loaded briefly for the 35.

Last edited:
that 311291 has been around what 100 years!
lots of 30/30s have short throats. Old trick from a old timer for getting your crimp in the crimp grove when your cartridge OAL is a touch to long for throat , cut your CASE length back a bit. Watch your powder charges as your reducing case capacity.

I have a nice mold I picked up from Ranch Dog its a 165 gn flat nose designed for the 30/30 it works well in every 30 cal platform I have ran it through, it will even cycle in the M1` garand.
NOE bought out Ranch Dog I believe
In all my research the one bullet that kept popping up was a RD design. Everyone loves that bullet. I’m not a big aluminum mould fan or I would have ordered one. I’m waiting to find something nice from MP in brass.

I did think about trimming down some brass just for shits and giggles but the throat in the Marlin is non existent.
The brass would look like the neck on a .357 sig by the time I got it chambered.

in a nut shell 1000 fps is about the "limit" for a plain based lead bullet.
If your bullet fit is to loose or to tight and your alloy is to soft or to hard you will have problems no matter the velocity.

More details of "what" a lead bullet can handle can be argued still.
Interesting, thanks for the link. Clearly I have reading to do. This is the SWC bullet type that I am becoming attached to (from T&B / 240 gn. with the Hi-Tek Black 1035 coating).

They are remarkable - shot about 100 44mag this morning and I don''t think I missed a shot on a 10" steel plate from 50' with the snub.

Untitled.jpg

Interesting, thanks for the link. Clearly I have reading to do. This is the SWC bullet type that I am becoming attached to (from T&B / 240 gn. with the Hi-Tek Black 1035 coating).

They are remarkable - shot about 100 44mag this morning and I don''t think I missed a shot on a 10" steel plate from 50' with the snub.

View attachment 505155
You need to come to the next casting seminar.

If the 311291 is too long for the .30/30, I think that Lee will work. As I said earlier, it looks very much like the Lyman 31141,(now the 311041 to have a 6 digit number) which I used in all my .30 cals until I bought the 311284 for the .30/40. I should get a 311291 for the .308 and .30/06.

Trying to get a submission together for adding Alliant Sport Pistol to the Gordon's propellant library, so I'm documenting as much as I can to send in.

It contains an interesting log tool where you can enter the data, and then compare groups of loads. This is my first 30 shots each of SP with 7.1 and 7.3 gn. behind the same 240gn SWC. Cool to observe the rising average between the groups. Take a look - the "trejectory" seems correct to me. I hope to document right up to the max of ~8.6 gn. for .44 mag. I may never get to the max 1100 fps because they tested with an 8" barrel. But hey, it's all good. :D

Untitled.jpg

You’re welcome to borrow mine if you want. Single cavity but it casts fast.

I’m going to keep my eyes peeled for a 31141 or 311041. Seems like the right bullet for me.

In all my research the one bullet that kept popping up was a RD design. Everyone loves that bullet. I’m not a big aluminum mould fan or I would have ordered one. I’m waiting to find something nice from MP in brass.

I did think about trimming down some brass just for shits and giggles but the throat in the Marlin is non existent.
The brass would look like the neck on a .357 sig by the time I got it chambered.
The brass trim is to get to the crimp grove.
Seems like the cast loads through the marlins tou have to load and crimp past the. Last band anyway to get to feed and chamber.
The flat nose RD seems to cover lots of ground and I love the whack it puts out at 200 yards at 1600 fps.
rifle report - poof meplat hitting the paper SHhhhMack . It makes you giggle.

No there's a few differences in them.
I was going to say...

The similarity in the handle linkage and the beavertail shape could be there because the RCBS 90200 is an older design from the same factory source. Or the factory for the FA unit copied certain aspects of the RCBS one. Be that as it may, I've been completely satisfied with my FA hand primer. Only complaint is fighting logjams in the tray--have to give it a shake. Plated CCI primers are more slippery and do it less. The worst I've seen so far are the Winchester Small Pistol Match primers, which look to be made out of copper. They love to form Roman arches in the tray.

I loaded a few 100 and 200 yard rounds for the 1911 Swiss. Cast bullet and Unique for the 100 and cast bullet and 2400 for the 200. The lowest sight setting is 300 meters so short of finding a taller front sight, reduced loads is the only option.

I loaded a few 100 and 200 yard rounds for the 1911 Swiss. Cast bullet and Unique for the 100 and cast bullet and 2400 for the 200. The lowest sight setting is 300 meters so short of finding a taller front sight, reduced loads is the only option.
You can use epoxy putty to extend it. The modeling type is strong enough to stay put but will snap off when needed.

Loaded a bunch of 38 special with my favorite 359640 mould.

This is the first time loading 38 since I’ve set up my Dillon strong mount. I’m seriously too short to see the tiny powder charge in the cases.
I was barefoot (common short person excuse) maybe some heels are in order for the reloading room.

Loaded a bunch of 38 special with my favorite 359640 mould.

This is the first time loading 38 since I’ve set up my Dillon strong mount. I’m seriously too short to see the tiny powder charge in the cases.
I was barefoot (common short person excuse) maybe some heels are in order for the reloading room.
You can buy a cheap bore scope and mount to your press to see the powder in the case.

View: https://youtu.be/RXKp7RbBQQA

New bench is complete. Press is set up. I ended up using wood screws to screw the press into a spare chunk of wood, and clamped that to the bench, across both the top and the frame.

Loaded fifty 38 spl and 25 6.5x55, seems to work fine. We'll see if it can stand up to sizing 30-06 and 308, though.

Back
Top Bottom