What did you do in the reloading room recently?

The .223 Remington die that I use to size the .380 Auto brass sizes to about .371" mid length. With a .355" bullet seated the mouth mic's at .372". You do see a slight ring where the base of the bullet is, but it in no way adversely affects the functioning of the round.
I don't have a complete .380 Auto die set and no other sizer die that I possess allows for proper grip of the bullet.
To be honest, I'd rather have the .001" diameter variation instead of risking movement of the bullet seating deeper during chambering due to light case grip.

Speaking of which (and I'll throw this in for free), if you ever have any sized .45 Auto cases that allow the bullet to slip right into the case (I've found many R-P nickel-plated cases with this issue), run them into your .308 Winchester sizing die as appropriate, to get them to grip the bullet properly. They will still head space properly when finished. Many will just cull them from the mix, but they can be salvaged, if you want to bother.
Great info, thanks.

You guys will never believe this, but I went into the reloading room recently and made some ammo.
600 rounds of 9mm to be exact.

then I did some maintenance my XL650, I greased the fittings and the main shaft, vacuumed up all the crud on the shell plate area. Then disassembled the powder drop and polished the inside of the cone.
Supisidly it helps with more consistent powder drops. I haven’t had any real problems but figured it couldn’t hurt.

No, sorry. I would guess that I used Longshot or HS-6, so probably in the 950 fps area. I'd have to dig through my stash and see what data I listed, if any of these reloads remain.

I did shoot a few in 10mm Auto, but only recovered a few bullets. They expanded similarly, but some had petals broken off. I presume this is due to the higher velocity.

If you're ever down my way, come shoot some. You'll need to bring your own milk jugs or other target medium.
You are fortunate to purchase these HHPs. They are about as scarce as primers these days.

You guys will never believe this, but I went into the reloading room recently and made some ammo.
600 rounds of 9mm to be exact.

then I did some maintenance my XL650, I greased the fittings and the main shaft, vacuumed up all the crud on the shell plate area. Then disassembled the powder drop and polished the inside of the cone.
Supisidly it helps with more consistent powder drops. I haven’t had any real problems but figured it couldn’t hurt.
Nice. I need to clean my 750. Reloaded around d 4K rounds without cleaning. I am thinking it will be one of my winter projects.

While all powders are not the same, I reloaded all 4K rounds with N320, and the Dillon powder drop is amazingly accurate with that powder.

Nice. I need to clean my 750. Reloaded around d 4K rounds without cleaning. I am thinking it will be one of my winter projects.

While all powders are not the same, I reloaded all 4K rounds with N320, and the Dillon powder drop is amazingly accurate with that powder.
you clean your presses? Geez I don’t think I’ve ever legit cleaned one of my presses. I just sweep off the rogue spent primers and keep the ram lubed.
And a red one. Gives the reloading room some Christmas spirit; red, green and blue.
he has some red too. He’s just too ashamed to post it.

The first 10 shotshells loaded by me. Crimp ranges from "pretty good" to pinhole in the center (shot is visible). I tweaked a little but still getting a feel for the adjustments of the MEC 600jr. What do you guys think ? Any suggestions ? Remington gun club hulls with claybuster (waa12 equiv) wads. 1 1/8 of number 9 shot over RedDot.

20201112_175625.jpg 20201112_175557.jpg

Last edited:
The first 10 shotshells loaded my me. Crimp ranges from "pretty good" to pinhole in the center (shot is visible). I tweaked a little but still getting a feel for the adjustments of the MEC 600jr. What do you guys think ? Any suggestions ? Remington gun club hulls with claybuster (waa12 equiv) wads. 1 1/8 of number 9 shot over RedDot.

View attachment 410702View attachment 410703
Look good to me. I’ve seen much worse from the factory.

The first 10 shotshells loaded my me. Crimp ranges from "pretty good" to pinhole in the center (shot is visible). I tweaked a little but still getting a feel for the adjustments of the MEC 600jr. What do you guys think ? Any suggestions ? Remington gun club hulls with claybuster (waa12 equiv) wads. 1 1/8 of number 9 shot over RedDot.

View attachment 410702View attachment 410703

They look great!
If you want to seal up the center, drip a small drop of wax from a birthday candle in the center.......if you can still buy birthday candles in MA. [laugh]

Went through a bucket of my own generated live pick ups from years of shooting and sorted out a bunch of good live ammo.

NOTE: I never, EVER fire anything that was found on a range......those go in another bucket to be pulled for components.

Ended up with about 200 9mm, a gallon ziplock full of .308 and a few large handfuls of 8mm( from the beltfeds) a baggie full of .45acp, and a baggie full of various headstamp 5.56 and a handful of 22LR.

That’s a good idea. I used to use the old clip lamp to get it done.
I’ve heard of guys mounting their sizer on a plate of aluminum and then resting a clothes iron on the side of the plate too. That would piss the wife off when she ironed some carnauba red into her favorite dress 😂

Back
Top Bottom