What did you do in the reloading room recently?

I'll PM you. You know we can discuss vendors that ship ANY type of jellyfish to MA.
You're going to want some nice rubber gloves too..... TRUST ME

Loaded a hundred 38-40s for my antique 92 src for a well needed range day.

That's a caliber not many shoot. I had some cast bullets, ideally suited for .38-40, but no one shoots them, so I topped some .40 S&W with the LRNFPs as a plinking load.

On another note, if you don't buy the reasonably-priced Prvi 7.62x54R ammo for a supply of boxer-primed brass, you might want to obtain some Albanian surplus 54R. Not a profound revelation by any stretch, but it is brass cased and utilizes the .217" diameter berdan primer (which is available in the USA). Might give you another option for reloaders of this caliber...

Two 8x57mm cases with two Albanian (brass) 54Rs and Russian (CWSC) 54Rs:

6.47mm primers (most 54R surplus) and .217" from 8mm & Albanian 54R:

Last edited:
Saturday and Sunday - Resized, trimmed, cut the crimp and chamfered about 2k once fired 556 cases. Next weekend is 308 case prep. At times like this I really want to get a Giraud... :) I may have to make that happen, would have cut the time way down.

So I was just looking at the Giraud web site, when did they come up with the induction heater for the annealer. Now that is interesting.

Last edited:
Tumbled a few hundred 30 carbine cases today. Been tumbling since 2, need to take them out and sort through the cases.

I had a bad day today.
My tumbler died.......
...... It's been about 12 good years and countless rounds tumbled. She finally quit on me. The didn't shake the way she did when she was young. All the signs were there. I saw it coming but I always that it couldn't happen to her.
Very sad day.

30-06 brass prep 500 cases. Resized and tumbled the lube off. Now to trim and inside/outside chamfer. Have the RCBS trimmer hooked up to my drill - can't justify a Giraud or Gracey for calibers I only shoot a couple of times a year.

I had a bad day today.
My tumbler died.......
...... It's been about 12 good years and countless rounds tumbled. She finally quit on me. The didn't shake the way she did when she was young. All the signs were there. I saw it coming but I always that it couldn't happen to her.
Very sad day.

That's a very sad day in the reloading room...RIP....

I had a bad day today.
My tumbler died.......
Very sad day.

Sorry for your loss.

Saturday and Sunday - Resized, trimmed, cut the crimp and chamfered about 2k once fired 556 cases. Next weekend is 308 case prep. At times like this I really want to get a Giraud... :) I may have to make that happen, would have cut the time way down.

So I was just looking at the Giraud web site, when did they come up with the induction heater for the annealer. Now that is interesting.

I can't believe i didn't know about induction annealer first.It doesn't appear to be available yet. I find using one of these makes the fIame more consistent.even though the small tanks aneal a riDricoulious number of cases
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0009PUQAK?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00

And since this thread is still going heres what i did the other week, sinced then i've had no time for reloading or shooting...working and working on range.this is the second public forum i've posted these in So it's just bragging at this point. Heres 250lbs of DIY cast and copper plated.

14 8.5lb bags of .223. Aprox. 13,800 projectiles. http://s1339.photobucket.com/user/M...150905_012909_zpsjy8qnrgj.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

13 8.5lb bags of .45 aprox 3350 projectiles. http://s1339.photobucket.com/user/M...150907_224902_zps6dr5vzt3.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

4 7.5lb bags of 9mm approx 1700 projectiles. http://s1339.photobucket.com/user/M...150908_213022_zpsssnhv26a.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

Close up .45 http://s1339.photobucket.com/user/M...150905_200334_zpsmqj6dwpy.jpg.html?sort=3&o=5

Last edited:
Finally had my dad over the other night to give me a hand with his sawzall and modify my bench to mount my new Lee classic cast single stage press.

View attachment 147073
And here's a crappy panoramic photo of my reloading bench setup. I don't think I've posted a photo before:
View attachment 147074

It appears that it was a press flex issue regarding the sizing and trimming issues I had with the tri way trimmer. I got 3 cases last night to trim within 0.001" of each other!
Full update in the "I hate case trimming thread": http://www.northeastshooters.com/vb...-I-HATE-CASE-TRIMMING!!?p=4667661#post4667661

Packed it all up over the weekend and threw away the crappy desk I had my press and powder measure mounted to. Wife and I are putting our condo on the market and I don't want random people knowing my business.

Packed it all up over the weekend and threw away the crappy desk I had my press and powder measure mounted to. Wife and I are putting our condo on the market and I don't want random people knowing my business.

You can just give me all of your reloading components for safe keeping....[wink]

Finally shot the Lehigh Defense 78 and 110 grain Blackout rounds I made up to test months ago. I was kind of surprised that the best load for my pistol seems to be shorter from max load than I expected. Got home and threw a bunch of brass in the tumbler. Read this thread and remembered I promised my wife the tumbler would be out of the kitchen before she got home. She should be home a few minutes ago. I have to go empty and move a tumbler real quick...

I made some adjusting knobs for my Dillon 550B powder measure bars. I looked for some of those press on plastic knob thingies at several hardware stores but no go. As I was getting ready to leave Lowes, I spied a drawer in the hardware area that had wooden wheels you'd use if you were making a wooden car or truck, about 2 inches in diameter. They came in a bag of four for $2.50..what the hell, I bought them.

Got home, found a drill size just under the width of the flats of the adjusting bolt head, and using the predrilled hole for the axle as a guide, I drilled a hole about 2/3rds of the way through the center of it, and pressed it on over the bolt head, slicker'n snot. Voila...nice wooden adjusting wheels. No more futzing with that wrench back there.

Pics:

Hole drilled:

IMG_2926_zpsp9amic9q.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Mounted on powder bar:

IMG_2928_zpsmqr4rodk.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:
I made some adjusting knobs for my Dillon 550B powder measure bars. I looked for some of those press on plastic knob thingies at several hardware stores but no go. As I was getting ready to leave Lowes, I spied a drawer in the hardware area that had wooden wheels you'd use if you were making a wooden car or truck, about 2 inches in diameter. They came in a bag of four for $2.50..what the hell, I bought them.

Got home, found a drill size just under the width of the flats of the adjusting bolt head, and using the predrilled hole for the axle as a guide, I drilled a hole about 2/3rds of the way through the center of it, and pressed it on over the bolt head, slicker'n snot. Voila...nice wooden adjusting wheels. No more futzing with that wrench back there.

Pics:

Hole drilled:

IMG_2926_zpsp9amic9q.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Mounted on powder bar:

IMG_2928_zpsmqr4rodk.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Nice...... I set up a LEE pro 1000 in 38split, cranked out 100 rounds. Was not happy with a few things and did some upgrades. Press feels so much smoother , primers fed with no issue for the next 200 rounds.

Made another 50 rounds of 7.5x55 Swiss. 40 gr of IMR-4064, Hornady 168 gr BTHP @ ~2.855". Definitely softer than the GP11 ammo.

Nice...... I set up a LEE pro 1000 in 38split, cranked out 100 rounds. Was not happy with a few things and did some upgrades. Press feels so much smoother , primers fed with no issue for the next 200 rounds.

Yeah...I love tinkering to make things easier...I'm sure even the best reloading machines can have little mods done that make life easier. I have a few more things I want to do on the 550B. This one with the knob is one I've been thinking about doing since I got the machine this past summer.

I have been reloading some 38sp today but don't want to run too many before I get a chance to test what I have loaded so far (about 25 rounds). I was going to go to the range today but it was too warm here in the shop and cold outside. I drive right by the range on the way home from work so I will toss my revolver in the car in the morning and pop off some rounds tomorrow afternoon and see if they behave correctly.

Last edited:
First time loading .357 Mag
Hornady 158gr XTP HP
Titegroup 5.7gr
COL 1.58
Loaded up 25, brought them to Sippican today and they were awesome. No primer flattening and some pretty good flame action.
Loading up another 250 this week in preparation for some pumpkin killing.

First time loading .357 Mag
Hornady 158gr XTP HP
Titegroup 5.7gr
COL 1.58
Loaded up 25, brought them to Sippican today and they were awesome. No primer flattening and some pretty good flame action.
Loading up another 250 this week in preparation for some pumpkin killing.

Nice! 357 was the first caliber I reloaded last year. Get your hands on some 2400, 296, or H110 if you want flames lol. The XTPs are great bullets. To save a few $ try Zero bullets that you can get for $103/1000.

Yeah...I love tinkering to make things easier...I'm sure even the best reloading machines can have little mods done that make life easier. I have a few more things I want to do on the 550B. This one with the knob is one I've been thinking about doing since I got the machine this past summer.

I have been reloading some 38sp today but don't want to run too many before I get a chance to test what I have loaded so far (about 25 rounds). I was going to go to the range today but it was too warm here in the shop and cold outside. I drive right by the range on the way home from work so I will toss my revolver in the car in the morning and pop off some rounds tomorrow afternoon and see if they behave correctly.

I found my little 38spl load that works ....it's a target load. 158gn cast SWC 3.0 grains of CLAYS

Back
Top Bottom