• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What could go wrong?

Maxrobot

NES Member
Existing security cameras in schools, sending an alert to the company whenever a firearm is detected on campus or at any client sites.

Last edited:
existing security cameras in schools, sending an alert to the company whenever a firearm is detected on campus or at any client sites.

Is that detecting visible firearms or concealed? It don't recall it saying or how the technology even works.....

Considering it is Artificial Intelligence, will they be able to flag someone because they 'fit the profile"?
A hoodie-wearing POC stopped by the police and the authorities could say the AI told them to stop the guy - it wasn't racial profiling on behalf of the cop.

they used it for red sox gate control, google it.

The Red Sox system is a walk-through system, the one in the school uses existing cameras. Doesn’t seem like the same technology.

The article claims to see guns being borne/brandished, not concealed. Or at least doesn’t claim to be able to detect concealed guns.

Is that detecting visible firearms or concealed? It don't recall it saying or how the technology even works.....
"As long as the gun is brandished" Per Zero Eyes media link.

I've had a few people ask about "AI" cameras for weapons detection, mostly wondering if visible light cameras can be effective at detecting concealed handguns.

The answer is no -- not visible light cameras.
Existing security cameras in schools, sending an alert to the company whenever a firearm is detected on campus or at any client sites.
A firm named "Zero Eyes", operating out of Arlington, VA, needs live streams from schools and businessess? Yeah, nothing about that screams "FED!"

While they keep saying OpenThreatDetection is "free for schools and non-profits", Iterate.ai released the source code under the MIT license, making it free for anybody for any use.
Brian Sathianatha said:
“It will connect to existing cameras, it will take those videos from existing cameras and it will look for weapons (guns, knives), or people carrying weapons, or people wearing a Kevlar vest,”
Basically a TensorFlow (machine learning) model trained with 100 guns and an archive of 20K videos of robberies and threats involving guns, knives, masks. I do appreciate that, unlike Zero Eyes, OpenThreatDetection appears to be entirely self-contained, the source code can be run on an isolated machine with no Internet connectivity.

I would imagine installing real security doors and maintaining real security measures would be much more cost effective and more effective in general.

The camera would detect a gun already inside the building.

It would work... i guess for non concealed weapons

The tech is there but

You need someone monitoring the alerts in real time

20-50 bucks a stream is high tho

Back
Top Bottom