Westfield 300 yd prone - April 5

Anyone have any interest in shooting a 300 Yd Prone Match at Westfield , MA on Sunday April 5. Leaving Early morning Sunday from Stoneham, to Exit #3? on the Mass. Turnpike. Last I shot the match it was 40 rds. Iron/Service and 40 Any/Any and a 20 rd Service. I am debating going, but if I could split expenses (gas and toll) with someone, I'd GO! Any Interest??

Westfield Match

Ok, I went to the Match. Weather was windy and there seemed more attention to Range Safety, as a result of the "Machine-gun incident". Now they have a legal disclaimer to sign.

Only problem was the confusing "Squading", with 2 men on each point for a total of 2 relays ( 1 shoots while 1 pulls pit duty). Except, two points had 3 men on their two points. So everyone on the line and in the pits, had to wait around for these "3RD" men to shoot their turn. Is it ME? or does it make sense to open another separate point for these 2 shooters or maybe have 3 legitimate Relays??? WTF OVER!! So At the End of the Match, one of these "3RD" Men was the only one shooting, while everyone was jaw-jacking behind the line or waiting for the pits to open. Made for a long day. Of course, the Last "3RD" guy shooting looked like a problem child, when the problem was really the Match Director's decision to run it that way.

DIST, I hope that in spite of the fact that you didn't like the way the match was squaded you had a good time. I've shot the match many times and it is a lot of fun. The 3rd person on a relay is usually due to either there being an odd number of shooters, too many for the range for two relays, or the match directors making sure that there is someone watching the action. After the incident you spoke of, they are going to be a bit more careful. Was there only an extra on one relay or both? You may have not liked the "long day" but show up on a day when there are more than two relays and you are in the pits for the last relay...sounds like today wasn't that bad!

wsc

Yes Highscore, I am familiar with the concept, and I have shot the match off and on going back as far as 14 years? In fact, I was a Member at Westfield for a short period of time in the 1990's. But as I observed, there were 2 "Extra" men, so I don't understand Why they didn't just set up ONE Extra Point, to preserve TWO Relays. The Match Director did shoot, but Oversight could have been handled by the Club Officials Observing or other interested non-shooters.

I don't mind long days. Because a long day on the range is better than longer days anywhere else. BUT, Lets have some purpose behind it. The range was not 100% occupied, so Why not set up the One additional Point?

For the record, I think the Match finished at about 3:45 -4:00PM, with a start time of 8:00AM. Even with the 2 hour commute (each way) - I do enjoy the Match held in Westfield.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom