• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Well, yesterday in the mail

MrsWildweasel

NES Member
We got a copy of the Minuteman Magazine and on the cover is one of our esteemed members. Low and behold it is Centermass181. Also a very nice article on him on being a Sgt. Audie Murphy Club inductee.

Here is the article....
Centermass Inducted Into the Sergeant Audie Murphy Club
By Capt.Stephen Rooney, Company D, 1st Battalion, 181st Infantry Regiment.

Sgt. Audie Murphy once said, " You lead from the front." That's exactly where you will find Sgt. Centermass, a squad leader in Celta Company, 1st Battalion, 181st Infantry Regiment based in Baghdad, Iraq. Centermass is one of a few noncommissioned officers in a brigade of more than 3500 Soldiers who will soon be inducted into the prestigious Sergeant Audie Murphy Club after meeting the daunting challenge of the Sergeant Audie Murphy Board.

Accordianf to Forces Command Regulation 215-7 and Training & Doctrine Command Regulation 600-14, the SAMC is an elite organization of NCO's whose demonstrated performance and inherent leadership qualities and abilities are characterized by those of Sergeant Audie Murphy.

The purpose of induction into the SAMC is a means of recognizing those NCO's who have contributed significantly to the development of a professional NCO COrp and a combat ready Army Members exemplify leadership characterized by personal concern for the needs, training, development and welfare of Soldiers and concern for families of Soldiers.

The abbreviated SAMC history reveals that the original club was started at Ft. Hood,Texas, early in 1986. The club spread in 1991 to III Corp, and in 1993, it was FORSCOM-wide. Finally, in 1994, at a Segeant Major of the Army conference, the Sergeant Audie Murphy Club spread Army wide. All commands, including the National Guard and Reserves, would retain the selection process for their own NCO's. There are not quotas for the SAMC; the final selection board does not select the candidates if they do not meet the required standards.

"Sgt.Centermass was extremely impressive," said Command Sgt. Maj. Drew Craig, Sgt. Maj. of the 720th Military Police Battalion, and also a member of the SAMC, "He stood out amongst a talented, competitive and well prepared field."

Centermass was first asked to compete in the board by his platoon sergeant,Sgt. 1st Class Michael Lawson. " When you need something done, whatever it may be, you go to Centermass," he said.
Cont.

Cont.
1st Sgt. Richard Sheehan, long admirer of Centermass's talent, made it easy. "You're competing," said Sheehan.

Centermass, busy conducting personal security details for the U.S. Embassy Chief of Mission, as well as numerous combat patrols in and around Baghdad, felt that it was an opportunity to show younger Soldiers the value of competition.

"Every Soldier has the responsibility to compete in every task the undertake," Centermass said. "Competitive Soldiers ensure mission success."

Of course, all NCOs, regardless of their qualifications, have to be tested before marching into the qualification board against several other well-trained and motivated NCOs.
Next was the battalion board, led by Craig.

"The boards definitely became progressively harder as I moved forward." says Centermass. "While the company board was focused on soldiering skills and mission- specific tasks, the battalion board really gave me an idea of what the actual Sergeant Audie Murphy Board would be like."

When competing for the induction into the SAMC, the NCO does not compete against other NCOs, like he or she would during other boards,but rather the impossibly high standards set by Murphy. A soldier in the famous 15th Infantry regiment of the 3rd Infantry Division, Murphy was wounded three times as he fought in nine major campaigns across North Africa, Sicily, Italy, France and Germany during World War II. Given a battlefield commission for his courage and leadership ability, he was credited with killing more than 240 of the enemy, while wounded and capturing many others. His citations included every Medal for Valor that America gives, including the Medal of Honor, and numerous medals and decorations from France and Belgium. By the end of the war, Lieutenant Murphy was the most decorated Soldier in American History.

" The process of preparing for the SAMC develops NCO knowledge and makes them a better leader." says Craig. "The SAMC is unique
in that it separates an average NCO from a superb NCO. A superb NCO goes beyond his regular duties and does them without being asked. He is truly the "Backbone of the Army."

To do well, NCOs have to memorize and recite verbatim the Soldier's Creed, the NCO Creed, Sgt. Audie Murphy's biography and the history of the club. Then there are dozens of Iraq-based situational questions focusing on ethics,leadership, training and tactics. The highly- decorated and previously inducted command sergeants major use an array of tactics to test the candidate; interruptions,distractions and unanticipated questions are used throughout the board.

"I was in there for an hour." said Centermass. "They attacked my confidence and judgement. The came at me from all sides with some tough questions, expecting intelligent answers."

When told by the Command Sgt. Maj.Bernard McPherson, 18th Military Police Brigade, that he passed and would be inducted, Centermass was justifiably, "thrilled, ecstatic, relieved." he said. "While we spend lots of time preparing for tactical missions, I spent every available minute over the last three weeks preparing for this board.

Congrats, Centermass.[grin]

Congratulations !
usa2.gif

This article also appears in the March issue of "YANKEE DOINGS", the official publication of thr "Yankee Division Veterans Association". If you noticed the shoulder patch Dan wears, it currently represents the 26th Yankee Infantry Regiment. The 26th Yankee Division was deactivated years ago, being reactivated as a Brigade just prior to Dan's unit being mobilized. Dan's accomplishment not just brings great honor to himself, but he honors all those that have worn the "YD" in the past and the future. Anyone that knows Dan, know he lives by NCO Creed, the first paragraph of the Creed says it all. "No one is more professional than I. I am a Noncommissioned Officer, a leader of soldiers. As a Noncommissioned Officer, I realize that I am a member of a time honored corps, which is known as "The Backbone of the Army". I am proud of the Corps of Noncommissioned Officers and will at all times conduct myself so as to bring credit upon the Corps, the Military Service and my country regardless of the situation in which I find myself......."

Hubby had served in sons unit under the YD patch, when son went in they were under the rainbow patch, and just before they came home from Iraq,it changed back to the YD.[grin] It was actually reactivated a year and a half ago. Sons unit at their official Welcome Home had the changing of the colors.

thanks for all the kind words everyone. weve got another canidate here, hes heading to the BDE board in the next week or so. Id like to wish him good luck as well, again hes from 3rd platoon, and no others from the rest of the company.

Little hard to study yesterday, with the IDF, but hes coming along nicely.

Congrats! That's a hell of a thing to achieve in garrison, never mind a combat zone!
Good luck to the other troop, too!

Yes the update follows, SSG Burke, aka BurkaMagurka, has attended, passed and is pending induction into the club as well. Congrats to SSG Burke. Our platoon is the only one to send Soldiers to this board and be inducted!
We got the bejesus rocketed out of us last week, while he was studying, he left half way through the week, and missed some of the attacks, but still, under the constant threat of rockets and mortars was able to focus and pass the board. Though I still tease him for leaving in the middle of the attack. heh heh.
Congrats to SSG Burke.

Back
Top Bottom