Weird primer seating in new brass....

drgrant

NES Member
I was farting around with my RCBS Rockchucker loading up some .45 ACP...

I had a bag of new winchester brass and some win large pistol primers.

When I was belling / seating primers, I noticed that every now and then it would seem like a primer would be high or didn't feel the same as the others, and I'd have to either apply a bit more force or put it back in the press and put the priming nub thing back in. I'm guessing it's because the pockets on the win brass aren't all uniform, or something to that effect. I imagine it won't be as big of a deal next time around.... Is this normal?

-Mike

Mike, Contrary to what others have experienced- I find that most brass has certain characteristics. Winchester .45ACP pockets seem to be fairly tight and take a fair amount of force relative to say R&P (easy) or Federal (moderate). It doesn't give the distinctive "seated" feel I like sometimes. Usually it's only like this when using once fired Winchester. I tend to sort brass when reloading just for this reason. I'm doing a batch of 9mm now and it doesn't seem to be much on an issue not sorting.... I just need to watch out for damn beridian primers!!

Mike,

I've never loaded new Winchester .45 ACP brass, but I have loaded new Winchester .44 Special, and I experienced what you're talking about only with CCI primers. Winchester primers seemed to go in much easier.

I'm doing a batch of 9mm now and it doesn't seem to be much on an issue not sorting.... I just need to watch out for damn beridian primers!!

Watch out for boxer-primed brass-plated steel cases. S&B uses these, and they look exactly like solid brass.

Mike,

I've never loaded new Winchester .45 ACP brass, but I have loaded new Winchester .44 Special, and I experienced what you're talking about only with CCI primers. Winchester primers seemed to go in much easier.

Watch out for boxer-primed brass-plated steel cases. S&B uses these, and they look exactly like solid brass.

For any brass that I am not familiar with (like range pick up brass) I have one of those
last year Red Sox schedule refrigerator magnets that I keep by the bench and I give all
'brass' a magnet test before it goes in the vibrator. I spread out the brass on the bench
and pass the magnet over it slowly and it hasn't failed me yet picking out the steel cases.

PS: I've been loading Mil .45 ACP brass the last couple of days and that is an adventure
unto itself, even after sorting by manufacture. I almost think you have to sort by date
as well not to get some surprises. I then reloaded some .45AR in some new Starline brass
and it was absolute heaven compared to the Mil stuff (hell).

Last edited:

I've heard that as well... good reminder. Is there any difference in appearance between S&B brass and S&B brass plated? Is it more common in certain calibers? I usually sort my .45ACP brass but not 9mm.

Thanks!

I've only seen it in 9mm. Blue Northern had a case of it, and it started showing up at my range.

I can see no difference between the S&B all-brass and S&B brass-plated cases. I taped a strong rare earth magnet to the drop tube coming out of my case feeder. Steel cases will hang up in front of it, and I can push an extra case in the top of the column to force the case by the magnet so I can remove it.

I've had that same problem and it was because the bolt on the shell plate had loosened up, causing it to have a little play.

For any brass that I am not familiar with (like range pick up brass) I have one of those
last year Red Sox schedule refrigerator magnets that I keep by the bench and I give all
'brass' a magnet test before it goes in the vibrator. I spread out the brass on the bench
and pass the magnet over it slowly and it hasn't failed me yet picking out the steel cases.

PS: I've been loading Mil .45 ACP brass the last couple of days and that is an adventure
unto itself, even after sorting by manufacture. I almost think you have to sort by date
as well not to get some surprises. I then reloaded some .45AR in some new Starline brass
and it was absolute heaven compared to the Mil stuff (hell).
With Mil brass you have to ream the primer pocket to knock of the primer crimp.

Mike,

A sort of an update.... I found some winchester brass yesterday, what looked to be once fired, seemed to do the same thing with WLP. Not really a big deal just a nit I noticed. Seems to be like 65% or so seem mostly normal but every now and then you get a tighter pocket.

I had some S+B .45 brass in that lot, priming those seemed worse than just about anything, although it wasn't impossible, the two or three S+B .45 cases seemed to need a firm push to get the primer flush. The other
headstamps in the mix were about average, although rem brass seemed like it was the easiest to prime.

-Mike

Thanks I will be using that exact idea in my next session. I wish I had thought of something so simple.

The only problem I have had with S&B brass is that some tend to have tight flash holes.
No problem with Win. brass, but look out for the NT head stamp because they have small primer pockets.

The dozen or so S+B brass I primed were all a bitch to seat. I thought I was
going to set off a primer. Remington and Federal seemed to go in the
easiest.

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom