Weird Ammo...

I was out shopping for ammo the other day and came across some nasty looking stuff for handguns that I've never seen before (I'm new to this). I can't remember the name of it, and was pretty expensive.

It was for 40 S&W caliber, (although other calibers are probably available), for defensive purposes. The bullets were hollow-points except inside the hollow there were several small shot-gun type pellets. These pellets were held in place with what looked like a plastic or wax seal.

Has anyone any experience of the stuff? Is it any good for concealed carry or home defense purposes? Oh, and what's the stuff called?

Kinda sounds like a Glaser Safety Slug, or a knockoff of it. By and
large, from a wound ballistics standpoint, most of them suck compared to a
JHP or a even regular FMJ/ball ammo when it comes to terminal performance.

Stick to the major brands.... Win Ranger, Speer Gold Dots, Rem Golden
Sabres.... Fed Tactical.... you should be able to find a loading in one of those
product lines that runs good in your gun. Corbon DPX isn't too bad either
but I hate the lack of variety they have in their offered loadings.

-Mike

FYI there is another type of ammo for what you just described with the exception of being used for safety purpose. Shot shells, I have seen them in sizes from .22lr up to .45lc. They are also referred to as snake loads, for obvious reasons. I actually carry "one" in the pipe when walking my dog on the power lines. The rest are HP's. There are rattlers in this part of the country.

Here is a pic of a .22mag shot shell.
22WMRShotshell.jpg

FYI there is another type of ammo for what you just described with the exception of being used for safety purpose. Shot shells, I have seen them in sizes from .22lr up to .45lc. They are also referred to as snake loads, for obvious reasons. I actually carry "one" in the pipe when walking my dog on the power lines. The rest are HP's. There are rattlers in this part of the country.

Here is a pic of a .22mag shot shell.
22WMRShotshell.jpg

I have some CCI like that in 22LR, works great on med-large size rodents.

The CCI's plastic capsule breaks on the rifling (which seems dumb to me), but supposedly cleans out with a regular cleaning. I don't think it's the kind of thing where I'd want to shoot one of these, then a JHP.

WRT the Glasers, they're designed to have the pellets joined together as one unit, and act like a regular bullet in the barrel, that releases their energy/pellets upon penetrating the target.

The design is menat to give better energy displacement while significantly minimizing overpenetration (even over regular JHPs). So the theory goes.

I'd take a normal JHP anyday.

.45lc shot shells

.45lc shot shells

Could one use these in a .45 ACP revolver such as the S&W 25-2 that takes moon clips or .45 autorim?

45 Colt cartridges are still occasionally fired in .410 bore shotguns by U.S. farmers needing to kill a mule or horse humanely

wich then leads to the question could a .410 shotshell be loaded into the .45ACP revolver?

Out come the micrometers.

Last edited:
Taurus makes a 5 shot that takes a .45LC and a .410. The one I shot kicked about the same with both .45 and .410. You do get a very open pattern with the .410.

Back
Top Bottom