Webley Mark VI (1918)

I have been wanting one of these since I first saw "Lawrence of Arabia" as a kid. I had stopped at in at a LGS yesterday and did so again today to look at an old S&W again that I was thinking of buying. As the owner was getting out the S&W he looked up at me and said,"You might be interested in the Webley I just took in and haven't put in the case yet." I was figuring it would be a WWII Mark IV 38 but then he pulled this up. I was no longer interested in the S&W.

It is a Mark VI Webley dated 1918 in very good condition. It has initial UK proof marks but then it also bears the early Australian Defence Department acceptance proofs of the board arrow in the D which was used from WWI until the late 1920's. There are no British out of service proofs, no UK export marks or import marks. It is all matching, has an excellent bright bore and is in excellent working order, with the exception of a broken barrel latch spring which I have already ordered from Numrich. It also bears the later Australian Defence Department marks of the broad arrow between 2 D's that was used between the late 1920's and the 1960's. So it is safe to say, the gun most likely saw service in both world wars.
Next to the later DD mark, are a set of numbers, 2 over 1389. I imagine that is some unit number or rack number but have not be able to confirm that yet.

The only "bad" part of the gun is that it has the common shaved cylinder so that it can accept the 45 Auto Rim or the lightly loaded 45 ACP with moon clips. The older gentleman that traded this in had bought it back in the 1950's from an ad in the back of a magazine. I am glad he took care of it and I am glad I stopped in a second day in a row. Thanks for looking.

View attachment 39987View attachment 39988View attachment 39989View attachment 39990View attachment 39991View attachment 39992View attachment 39993View attachment 39994View attachment 39995

Last edited:
Shame about the shaved cylinder, but look at the bright side: it's not an uncommon change to find on these, and the ammo is probably much more affordable. Congratulations!

Shame about the shaved cylinder, but look at the bright side: it's not an uncommon change to find on these, and the ammo is probably much more affordable. Congratulations!

Yeah... I wasn't sure how to check for a shaved cylinder until I got back home and looked it up. But it came with 4 rounds of 45 Auto Rim and a 45 ACP half moon clip so I figured it most likely was. I will have to load up some light 45 ACP and give it a try once I have the new barrel latch spring installed.

Next to the later DD mark, are a set of numbers, 2 over 1389. I imagine that is some unit number or rack number but have not be able to confirm that yet.

My best guess is the 2 is the Military District Number and the 1389 an inventory number similar to markings on many No1 MkIII's

Nice piece

Last edited:
Now you just need a bullwhip, fedora and a man purse and you'll be GTG. [smile]

Whipping2_zps413da639.gif

Nice Webley. What was the old S&W you were looking at (the S&W collector asked anxiously)?
It was an old top break in 38 S&W and it was pre 1898. I forget the exact model but it was in good shape and I liked it so I was going back to get the model number and research it some more. But... I got distracted and never looked at the Smith again. It may still be my next purchase. If I decide against it do you want me to let you know and where it is?

The Mark VI Webley (in original .455 caliber) is definitely on my list. I've lusted after them ever since picking up the .38/200 Webley - Albion manufacture - this year.

My first WWII pistol was an Albion I picked up in 1996. It is pictured below. It is of course the only Scottish made gun I own.

My best guess is the 2 is the Military District Number and the 1389 an inventory number similar to markings on many No1 MkIII's

Nice piece

Could be the 2nd Military District (New South Wales) but the only references to marks for those had the MD after the 2. Perhaps an earlier or later means of marking? More research is needed.

LOL.. not exactly what I was picturing in my mind!

I dug out my other British revolvers for a family photo and with the two Webleys side be side for a size comparison. I had not realised how much bigger the MK VI until I saw one in person.

Webley Mark VI (1918)
Webley Mark IV 38 (1945, War Finish)
Enfield No. 2 Mk. 1** (Albion Motor Co., 1943)

View attachment 40078View attachment 40076View attachment 40077

Last edited:
I scored a WWI Webley holster to compliment the Mark VI. It has the name "G. E. Bishop" written in it and the broad arrow with either a '15 or a '16. It is hard to tell what the last number is. I would love to be able to look up a history of a British Officer named GE Bishop but have not made an effort yet. It will have to wait to a later date. Thanks for looking.

View attachment 42882View attachment 42886View attachment 42887View attachment 42885

Last edited:
Good luck; I'd guess a whole lot of effort would be needed to find a GE Bishop, as it's a pretty common name. I googled it for fun, and immediately found a private and a sergeant. So that's two down...

Remember that you've got the ANZAC and Canadian officers, too.

Beautiful holster, though, and a perfect companion for your Webley.

Good luck; I'd guess a whole lot of effort would be needed to find a GE Bishop, as it's a pretty common name. I googled it for fun, and immediately found a private and a sergeant. So that's two down...

Remember that you've got the ANZAC and Canadian officers, too.

Beautiful holster, though, and a perfect companion for your Webley.

Yes.. the holster does not really match the gun. The holster came direct (via an auction site) from London and is arrow proofed so it was a British Army holster. The gun as mentioned is was sent direct to the Aussies and saw service with them in both wars. I will have to try and find out if the Aussies made their own hoslters for the Webleys or if they just took the UK holsters with the guns. I will have to research that and see what the Aussies used for holsters for their Mk IV's. But it will do for now and the price was right. :)

I was also hoping GE Bishops would not be common. The enlisted men used a different holster than the Officers, that is so British isn't it? So as you know, the enlisted GE Bishops can be elimenated.

Pilgram, Nice Mark VI. That holster, I believe would be a correct holster for WWII issue. While your gun is a 1917, from what I can see, the gun either saw service in that holster during WWII or the holster was mated with the gun post war by some one. I would guess your Mk VI saw service in WWII in that holster.

JuergenG, that does look exactly the same. These holsters have the thickest leather I have seen on a holster. Do we get to see the gun that fits into it? :)

Those holster saw use in WWI & WWII.I love the Brit. revolver's.

Attachments

• DSCN2246.jpg
    DSCN2246.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 12
JuergenG, that does look exactly the same. These holsters have the thickest leather I have seen on a holster. Do we get to see the gun that fits into it? :)

I had posted a pic of the revolver some years ago. That was when I bought it and it came with a Pachmayr rubber grip.....eeek.
In April of 2010 when we visited S&W I was lucky to get a repro straight out of production of the Classics series and have mounted
it since. Last year I lucked out again and two well worn original grips followed me home from an estate sale. No new pics, though.
The revolver likely went through Canadian hands and ended up in Britain later. It fits the revolver quite snugly.

SWHE2ndModelR.jpg

SWHE2ndModelL.jpg

I had posted a pic of the revolver some years ago. That was when I bought it and it came with a Pachmayr rubber grip.....eeek.
In April of 2010 when we visited S&W I was lucky to get a repro straight out of production of the Classics series and have mounted
it since. Last year I lucked out again and two well worn original grips followed me home from an estate sale. No new pics, though.
The revolver likely went through Canadian hands and ended up in Britain later. It fits the revolver quite snugly.

Thanks for posting those pics. You have to love the path these guns travel. From Conn. to Canada to Britain to Germany.

From [STRIKE=undefined]Conn.[/STRIKE] MA to Canada to Britain to Germany.

'cause it ain't no Pony[wink]
That said, Colt revos are seriously underrepresented in my collection, there are none nil, zilch, nada and
that won't change anytime soon due to budget constraints.
Q: Were there any other COLT revolvers officially in U.S. service from WWI up to September of 1945,
other than the M1917?

'cause it ain't no Pony[wink]
That said, Colt revos are seriously underrepresented in my collection, there are none nil, zilch, nada and
that won't change anytime soon due to budget constraints.
Q: Were there any other COLT revolvers officially in U.S. service from WWI up to September of 1945,
other than the M1917?

Yeah that is what I meant.... MA. :)

Is that old Smith military proofed? I am thinking since it is in 455 that it would be.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom