Water Storage FAQ

Also for those that have wells, have someway to either power it or have a hand pump so you can access it.

Good point. However depending on the circumstances, that water may have become contaminated, and you should plan for a clean water supply on hand. From everything I have read, 1 gallon/person/day will be sufficient to sustain your water intake needs. That will include drinking and cooking water.

It is just another way to have access to water, and of course you should take appropriate measures to insure it is safe.

We learned early on when we had no power, or phones for about a week. It was also summertime and a freak thunderstorm did the whole town in. I have learned alot, so we are probably pretty well prepared for most anything. We just picked up another small generator that will power our pellet stove if need be.[wink]

Yes, when you've got a well (as I do) you become very aware of power outages, particularly those that last for more than an hour or so. One error in the piece (a very common one) is the bit about water beds in apartments. I've had a water bed for close to 40 years, then majority of that time in an upstairs bedroom. When I first got it, a lot of landlords wouldn't allow them, primarily because they didn't know anything about them. Do the math for yourself. If you've got a 15-20 people milling around at a party in a small area, the load is greater than a waterbed. When we first got ours (while in a 2nd floor apartment), a friend who was a building inspector said that if any landlords claimed their buildings wouldn't take the load, he'd come over and red tag them immediately.

Ken

Back
Top Bottom