• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Water Chestnut Pull

tuna

NES Member
The US Fish and Wildlife Service will be pulling water chestnut from the following bodies of water on the below dates:

July 28 - Oxford Marsh of Chicopee River or Great Pond in Hatfield (details TBD)
July 31 - Forge Pond, Granby
Aug 1 - TBD

They are also looking to get volunteers next week for Russell Cove in Hadley.

I know that there is a lot of indecision in these dates, but events change rapidly due to immediate needs and resources at the time.

For more information, please contact:
Cynthia Boettner
Silvio O Conte National Fish and Wildlife Refuge
413-548-8002 x 8115
[email protected]

I'll update this thread as I get more details.

For those who don't know about water chestnut, it is a HIGHLY invasive plant that can quickly take over a pond, preventing that body's use for fishing, boating or swimming. The seeds, which are truly evil alien looking things, sprout up to 7 rosettes, which float on the water. These 7 rosettes each drop up to 10 seeds (that's 70 from a single seed) that can survive for up to 12 years before growing. The good news is that these seeds are a "one and done" deal, so by pulling the plants out of the water, especially before they drop their seeds, we can make a huge dent toward control and eradication of these pests.

The US FWS has canoes available, but you must have been through the official training in order to use them. You may, however, bring your own canoe, kayak or boat - any and all help is appreciated.

wc overgrowth.jpg wc rosette.jpg wc seed.jpg

It is not the water chestnut that you find in Chinese food.

That said, I "think" the leaves are edible, I wouldn't want to mess with the seeds trying to crack them - it looks like a sure way to start bleeding.

I don't have any new dates for the pulls - but if you find it while out fishing, please let Cynthia know (her contact info is in the OP).

New dates for invasive species pulls:

8/13 - Water Chestnut pull - site to be determined
8/14 - 8/15 - Invasive species pull - type and location to be determined
Week of 8/20 - 8/27 - repull of water chestnut in locations already visited once.

For more information, please contact:
Cynthia Boettner
Silvio O Conte National Fish and Wildlife Refuge
413-548-8002 x 8115
[email protected]

Back
Top Bottom