• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

DIY learning to waterfowl hunt

sjohnston0311

NES Member
I've been wanting to start duck (and goose) hunting for a few years now but I really don't know where to start. Did anybody else learn on their own? It seems like all of the guides in the (MA) area focus on sea ducks and the general consensus seems to be that they taste like ass, so I really have no interest. Do I need to drop big money on duck/goose decoys? Do I need a dog/boat or is there a way to do without? How suitable would an 870 Fieldmaster/Wingmaster be as an entry level duck/goose gun?

I've gone just a few times. Don't have to have a boat, Do need waders though. You're going to have to go in the water to retrieve and you need to keep dry. I don't have decoys or anything. I usually waited until deer season was winding down as that's my preferred game and the lakes/ponds had some ice on them by that point. Then I would hit a river or stream. The running water didn't freeze over and so ducks seemed to congregate there. Geese tend to be in the fields unless there's snow/ice over them. That's my observation anyway.

One thing I will offer.... Pattern your gun so you know what you're working with and let them come in...

I can't claim to be an expert, but success is possible for the novice...

I've gone just a few times. Don't have to have a boat, Do need waders though. You're going to have to go in the water to retrieve and you need to keep dry. I don't have decoys or anything. I usually waited until deer season was winding down as that's my preferred game and the lakes/ponds had some ice on them by that point. Then I would hit a river or stream. The running water didn't freeze over and so ducks seemed to congregate there. Geese tend to be in the fields unless there's snow/ice over them. That's my observation anyway.

One thing I will offer.... Pattern your gun so you know what you're working with and let them come in...

I can't claim to be an expert, but success is possible for the novice...
Exactly the kind of info I was looking for. Thank you.

I was wondering if people hunted them along smaller rivers and streams as opposed to just on larger ponds and whatnot. Is it a matter of just sitting hidden along the riverbank and calling? Do you scout beforehand?

If you want to meet up someday later in the season when there is a bit of frost in the air, let me know. I can take you to a few central MA areas (I am more familiar with). No dog but have a canoe and decoys.

I was wondering if people hunted them along smaller rivers and streams as opposed to just on larger ponds and whatnot. Is it a matter of just sitting hidden along the riverbank and calling? Do you scout beforehand?
I found a couple of spots I went to during deer season actually. Walking around hunting deer, which can also hang out along river banks because the understory gets thick there. So more of an accident actually - or luck. Whatever... But it's not why I was there. There is a swamp I hunt that gets good and flooded out during wet years like this one as the river rises above its banks... I've seen ducks in there when that happens. This will probably be a good year for that spot.

I've never scouted for waterfowl. It's just been something I've stumbled upon while chasing deer.

'Jump shooting' ducks when you sneak up on them from the undercuts and creek bends can be done easily without much gear. Like the OP said, you'll need a pair of waders and a shotgun (limited to 3 shells) at the minimum. It's actually pretty fun and exciting to have them explode up and out from nowhere.

Yes, that's what we did. Found some spots by looking at MWA maps or just driving around scouting. My brother and I used to hunt in a swampy area accessed by canoe from some exit off the Mass pike around Grafton, can't remember where exactly. My brother and a friend had scouted it out and found some old abandoned blinds which we fixed up. We started out by hunting with his friend who had a boat, a decent Black Lab retriever and some decoys but eventually bought a dozen decoys and went ourselves. We would just canoe out to get ducks when we didn't have a dog. We also hunted some on the Nissitissit in Pepperell and I have hunted some swampy areas in an MWA in the Groveland/Georgetown area. I am not that familiar with the South Shore so can't give you any advice there.

Back
Top Bottom