was just wondering

StevieP,

I am going to try my luck with a ground blind too. I unfortunately have my season cut WAY down this year and will only be able to head out for the first time Sat. Due to hunting on public land, I dare not set the blind up prior cause I know that is asking for it to be f'd with. Just curious as to how you go about it. I assume you set up well ahead of time, if not do you set up that same day, and does setting it up pose noise issues etc? Just trying to educate myself the best I can about using mine. I did a dry run, sets up easily enough, just damn fiberglass rods are a PITA to set in the notches, can't imagine what it will be like with cold numb hands and being dark.

Thanks

There are three different spellings and uses of the word pronounced as, "there." They are "there," "they're," and "their." When phrasing a sentence please select the proper one. "...there tree stand" is a good example of improper use.

Cerfur, you have now been properly Srived. [smile]

There are three different spellings and uses of the word pronounced as, "there." They are "there," "they're," and "their." When phrasing a sentence please select the proper one. "...there tree stand" is a good example of improper use.

Gun forum or HS English Class?

You mean ScriVed?
[wink]

Cerfur,
You out a little early aint-ya? Isn't it 30 min prior to sunrise?
I was unloaded and on my phone not hunting ... just like if you are setting up your duck decoys before legal shooting hours... as long as your not shooting your legal.... unless its a pheasant stocked wma. during pheasant season...

And man have you read any of my posts? Proper mechanics is not something I care about or am very good at lol

I was unloaded and on my phone not hunting ... just like if you are setting up your duck decoys before legal shooting hours... as long as your not shooting your legal.... unless its a pheasant stocked wma. during pheasant season...
Thank you for the clarification... I was actually trying to figure this out in the abstracts but like everything, too grey to figure out. Good to know, I will now try to hit my spot extra early to set up, and wait. So if I wanted to, not that I would, but could I legally enter at 4am and not load up till 30 min prior to sun up?
Thanks

Thank you for the clarification... I was actually trying to figure this out in the abstracts but like everything, too grey to figure out. Good to know, I will now try to hit my spot extra early to set up, and wait. So if I wanted to, not that I would, but could I legally enter at 4am and not load up till 30 min prior to sun up?
Thanks
Yup well that's the way myself and everyone I know has always done it

StevieP,

I am going to try my luck with a ground blind too. I unfortunately have my season cut WAY down this year and will only be able to head out for the first time Sat. Due to hunting on public land, I dare not set the blind up prior cause I know that is asking for it to be f'd with. Just curious as to how you go about it. I assume you set up well ahead of time, if not do you set up that same day, and does setting it up pose noise issues etc? Just trying to educate myself the best I can about using mine. I did a dry run, sets up easily enough, just damn fiberglass rods are a PITA to set in the notches, can't imagine what it will be like with cold numb hands and being dark.

Thanks

I set mine up a couple weeks ago. Ameristep Doghouse blind. After I set it up, I "brushed it in" a little with some branches and such. Mine's on public land but nobody's ****ed with it.

After not seeing anything the first couple days, after sitting yesterday morning, I did a slow still hunt around my entire hunting area, and found some deer tracks in the snow right where I set up my blind LAST YEAR! So I sat against a tree in that area last night but got 'winded'. So this morning, even though I said I was in my ground blind, I was actually sitting a few hundred yards away against a different tree, hoping to catch a glimpse of whatever snort/wheezed at me last night.

I think I'm going to Dick's to get a treestand. I need elevation to get a better look around the area, and to keep my scent up and out of the way.

I load my shotgun as soon as I'm off the road and a short walk into the woods. Even if it's 5:30 I load then, as to wait until a half-hour before sunrise, while sitting in a blind, the sound of racking in a shotgun shell carries a long way. Am I being illegal by merely loading the shotgun that early? I figure as long as I don't take a shot before legal time, I'm OK.

I load my shotgun as soon as I'm off the road and a short walk into the woods. Even if it's 5:30 I load then, as to wait until a half-hour before sunrise, while sitting in a blind, the sound of racking in a shotgun shell carries a long way. Am I being illegal by merely loading the shotgun that early? I figure as long as I don't take a shot before legal time, I'm OK.

I honestly don't know the answer to that but I know a lot of folks who load when they step out of there trucks... I think you would really have to piss a epo off to get jammed up for that... just make sure nothing goes bang until shooting light

I set mine up a couple weeks ago. Ameristep Doghouse blind. After I set it up, I "brushed it in" a little with some branches and such. Mine's on public land but nobody's ****ed with it.

After not seeing anything the first couple days, after sitting yesterday morning, I did a slow still hunt around my entire hunting area, and found some deer tracks in the snow right where I set up my blind LAST YEAR! So I sat against a tree in that area last night but got 'winded'. So this morning, even though I said I was in my ground blind, I was actually sitting a few hundred yards away against a different tree, hoping to catch a glimpse of whatever snort/wheezed at me last night.

I think I'm going to Dick's to get a treestand. I need elevation to get a better look around the area, and to keep my scent up and out of the way.
That is the same one I have, grabbed one offline pretty cheap. Sux I can't set mine up ahead of time, but I know it would be messed with. I have already came across hunters in the area I go, who feel no one else but them should be there... on Public land! I will just do my best to get in extra early set up and wait. First time hunting from a blind and am pretty excited. I have done stands, just not in MA, obviously huge advantage however once again can pose issues on public land with other people, and for the most part they suck to set up and take down so having the ability to move is harder. Obviously the better choice to hunt from though.

You can be in the woods whenever you like. I am in 45min to 1hr prior to legal light. And ALWAYS loaded.

Besides, unless the deer walks into you – you won’t see him before legal light. Well, that is not entirely true. I do see them near the road at night. So I guess in some spots it might be possible to see them before legal light. But in the woods it’s very difficult. I’ve had number of deer walk out at legal light and could not shoot because aiming was impossible. Deer are not the only game, which is hard to see. E.g. few weeks ago I was out duck hunting and birds start coming in 10 min prior to legal, but I could not see well enough until roughly 11 min after legal. So I could have been there all night freezing my ass off and wouldn’t be able to shoot until 11 min after legal light. Similar is true at the end of day. I had to let my first ever bear walk because he came in 15 min prior to the end of legal light. Although he was close enough to see with the naked eye – looking through the scope I could not see anything at all. EPOs are hunters too. So they understand the aforementioned. And if they are nearby they would only come by if they hear a shot.

Nice!
What did that set you back after all the extras $300-400 I am guessing?

List was $249 but Dick's had it on-sale for $199 complete with harness. I had a $10 coupon, 300 rewards point bonus, and if I fill out the receipt survey they'll send me another $10 coupon. My wife's been asking what I want for Christmas so she's kicking in $150 too.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Been up here since about 6:00ish. Made some oatmeal raisin cookies yesterday. Not sure if I brought too many, or not enough with me, but I've got one left and about an hour before I've got to start heading back for work. All I've seen was tracks on my way to the tree this morning.

Does anybody else misjudge how tight the straps on your climbers need to be on a regular basis? I feel like half of the time I use it, I'm angled down when I get to the height I want to be at.

You could be fined. I do the same thing btw.

Hate to bust your bubble, But if your firearm is loaded and you are in the woods before legal "Hunting" time, YOU ARE HUNTING. Same goes for coming out of the woods after "Hunting Time". I used to wait along the trail that the "Hunter" would be using to get back to his vehicle, and watch and listen to him work the action and hear rthe shells hit the ground. I did charge them with hunting after hours. So do as you please, but don't bitch when you get "popped".

I unload on way out once legal shooting is over. I do nto do it right at my stand but far before I will encounter anyone else. It takes me about 45 mins to get to my truck from my spot. I have seen ELEO and they usally are pretty good guys. I am not concerned.

Back
Top Bottom