Was I sabotaged???

Checking my cameras and every one is broken... The cards were not fully inserted, and looked to be glued in. Needed pliers to pull out!!! New cards won't insert, and the one that will take a card, won't take pics....

Was I messed with, or some strange malfunction...

They might of been able to find two of them, but no way on the others.
They were well hidden.

Any thoughts, or has this happened to anyone?

Enough information to be suspicious, but not nearly enough to say. Would need to know many more details which you probably should not make public.

Piss anyone off lately?

added: Were they previously okay, or was this the first time you used them (guessing not but still need to ask)?

They have been working fine. Last week had good action at my stands.

No one, except my buddy I go in there with, and my wife, and that's just if something should ever happen to me, she knows where I am.

Sounds to me like the question is not "if" but "who". Where were the cameras (ex. public v.s. private property)? Has anyone else in the area had problems? How good a buddy is your buddy, maybe he told someone? Anything usable on the cards? If it's not your buddy, or someone your buddy told, then it's likely either a landowner or a PETA-Nazi. My guess is the PETA-Nazi.

It's public land, and I would think it's hunted a lot. But to find the same spot as me....
It's just strange, it's way off the beaten path....

I can assure you that it's nobody that I pissed off or my friend pissed off,
he told no one either.

Sounds then like it's a PETA-Nazi, or maybe, but not likely, some other hunter who thinks they "own" the spot. Good luck. As someone said, cameras on cameras is the way to go.

Sounds then like it's a PETA-Nazi, or maybe, but not likely, some other hunter who thinks they "own" the spot. Good luck. As someone said, cameras on cameras is the way to go.

Sadly I agree especially with one camera smashed. It is really pathetic to see what the new level of what passes for "morality" has become.

Why can't people leave stuff that doesn't belong to them alone? It boggles my mind. I see cameras and tree stands on public ground and would never consider touching them. The thought never enters my mind.

If it is Peta freaks be especially careful with your stands. They have been known to loosen fastners and cut straps 3/4 of the way through. You should consider reporting this to Encon for that reason.

Bob

Last edited:
In gonna build what will appear to be a camera box, make some holes and what not on it paint it up and strap it to the tree. Then hide the real one good and hope I find the A Hole...

I should hinge plate the bottom of the box and fill it with dog crap..

sFirst, the only secret that is kept is the one you share with no one. Although your friend is totally trustworthy, there are ways that he could divulge without even intending to, or overtly volunteering.

Second, there is no such place as a secure invulnerable location. Without trying to sound paranoid or tinfoilish, any place at any time is subject to intrusion. A threat can potentially be anywhere, anytime (which is why we CCW BTW) The fact that you found an out of the way place, simply means that someone else just as smart or smarter than you did to.

Third, professionally, I think based on the information that you supplied, it that you were the victim of vandalism and that this should be reported to the authorities. They may or may not dust the cameras for prints, but if they do, they can exclude you, your firend and your spouse. There are known vandals and eco-terrorists in the system. I'd also check my stand and the area around it for booby traps. No, I am not being tinfoilishly paranoid.

In the end, nothing will mot likely come of this, and you may be blown off by LE, but again based on my understanding of the information that supplied here today, you are a victim.

I have a lock box and a cable lock, no one can steal them, but they sure can take a rock and smach them. havent had anyone screw with them yet.

Sorry to hear about your situation, they are expensive i would be pissed. But some people are scumbags.

That definitely sounds like vandalism. Public land is tough to manage. If it were private then you or the landowner could do a lot to prevent that sort of thing. But as it is, I don't know what you could do other than, as suggested, point a camera at a camera, making one obvious and the other extremely well hidden. At least then you can see what is happening (hopefully) and decide how to handle it.

Take a ladder out and put your camera 10ft up in a tree pointing down. You'll still get good pictures of deer, and it harder for people to screw with your cameras. I usually do this when I'm putting up my stand.

I stopped using cameras completely, unless I'm hunting a big deer and want to see it. Usually I'm just meat hunting so I could care less.

Most cameras are crap. Even some high priced cameras are crap.

Last edited:
I agree with the vandalism thought. It really sucks to have this happen. I had a spot that was so secluded eve the deer didn't go there lol!! One morning after walking 45 minutes to my spot. I find it infiltrated by some ma**h*** (yeah I am a ma**h*** too) sitting in my very secluded spot waving at me... I was not a happy camper at all.
no matter how secret secluded or hidden someone somehow will find it.. Good luck man I hope you find out what happened.

Maybe there is another hunter who hunts that area and he doesn't want you there. Maybe he has seen something big and doesn't want you to know about it either. Or some anti hunter. Either way, if you catch them they can be charged with lots of things. Don't call the police call the fish and game. They have more power and jurisdiction and they know all the laws that protect hunters from anti's. If it is another hunter he is just as bad ans an anti and should suffer the same fate.

I had a stand in the woods. 1 mile from anything. I went there one year to reset it so it didn't damage the tree. It was cut down and my climbing sticks were gone. You had a lot of brush to climb through, yet someone still found it. There is no such thing as a secret area unless it's private property and even then you may find a trespasser there.

You know, Im not sure who it is, anti or hunter... Ive been in there every Sunday morning for a month now, and never seen another car or person out there. I go in to hang stands, cut shooting lanes,
and check my cameras. I've always had some nice deer on my cameras. Sunday would've been the one of the last pieces to the deer travel puzzle, changed direction on some cameras so I could get them
from a different angle. Sunday was a key day for my success this year. Oh well, live and learn....
I'll be back out Sunday, cameras in hand.....

My money's on peta nazi's. If it was another hunter, and they didn't want you to shoot "their buck", then they'd probably just take the cards so you couldn't see it. Peta nazi's would be more likely to destroy your camera's so you could never them it again. It could go the other way too, but peta nazi's would do that 100% of the time. A-hole hunters, maybe 20%.

my guess is as good as yours. ive put more cams behind my stands, thicker area in there and got no pics. going on 3 weeks without any pics.... starting to think that someone did something to that area im hunting. still plenty of nuts around, and it does look like something moving around, lots of turned leaves and scat.

Perhaps more than vandalisim: MGL Ch 131 Sec 5C:

http://www.malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartI/TitleXIX/Chapter131/Section5C

PART I
ADMINISTRATION OF THE GOVERNMENT
TITLE XIX
AGRICULTURE AND CONSERVATION
CHAPTER 131 INLAND FISHERIES AND GAME AND OTHER NATURAL RESOURCES
Section 5C Obstruction or interference with lawful taking of fish or wildlife; remedies

Section 5C. No person shall obstruct, interfere with or otherwise prevent the lawful taking of fish or wildlife by another at the locale where such activity is taking place. It shall be a violation of this section for a person to intentionally (1) drive or disturb wildlife or fish for the purpose of interrupting a lawful taking; (2) block, follow, impede or otherwise harass another who is engaged in the lawful taking of fish or wildlife; (3) use natural or artificial visual, aural, olfactory or physical stimulus to effect wildlife in order to hinder or prevent such taking; (4) erect barriers with the intent to deny ingress or egress to areas where the lawful taking of wildlife may occur; (5) interject himself into the line of fire; (6) effect the condition or placement of personal or public property intended for use in the taking of wildlife; or (7) enter or remain upon public lands, or upon private lands without the permission of the owner or his agent, with intent to violate this section. The superior court shall have jurisdiction to issue an injunction to enjoin any such conduct or conspiracy in violation of the provisions of this section. A person who sustains damage as a result of any act which is in violation of this section may bring a civil action for punitive damages. Environmental protection officers and other law enforcement officers with arrest powers shall be authorized to enforce the provisions of this section.

This section shall not apply to the owners of the lands or waters or tenants or other persons acting under the authority of such owners of the lands or waters.

I agree with the vandalism thought. It really sucks to have this happen. I had a spot that was so secluded eve the deer didn't go there lol!! One morning after walking 45 minutes to my spot. I find it infiltrated by some ma**h*** (yeah I am a ma**h*** too) sitting in my very secluded spot waving at me... I was not a happy camper at all.
no matter how secret secluded or hidden someone somehow will find it.. Good luck man I hope you find out what happened.
Twice I have gone to my stands on private land in Mass and had someone sitting in them! If you are to lazy to put up your own stand stay the F home! And what goes through a hunters mind that he thinks it's ok to use someone's setup? I just don't get it? I grew up in Illinois and have hunted since I could walk, Deer hunting is taken VERY seriously out there. This would have been handled very differently.

Stupid question:

Is there any way to stream the cameras? So you can keep a permanent internet feed on them in case something like this happens? Live feed, see who's screwing with your stuff, gotcha!

Perhaps more than vandalisim: MGL Ch 131 Sec 5C:

http://www.malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartI/TitleXIX/Chapter131/Section5C

PART I
ADMINISTRATION OF THE GOVERNMENT
TITLE XIX
AGRICULTURE AND CONSERVATION
CHAPTER 131 INLAND FISHERIES AND GAME AND OTHER NATURAL RESOURCES
Section 5C Obstruction or interference with lawful taking of fish or wildlife; remedies

Section 5C. No person shall obstruct, interfere with or otherwise prevent the lawful taking of fish or wildlife by another at the locale where such activity is taking place. It shall be a violation of this section for a person to intentionally (1) drive or disturb wildlife or fish for the purpose of interrupting a lawful taking; (2) block, follow, impede or otherwise harass another who is engaged in the lawful taking of fish or wildlife; (3) use natural or artificial visual, aural, olfactory or physical stimulus to effect wildlife in order to hinder or prevent such taking; (4) erect barriers with the intent to deny ingress or egress to areas where the lawful taking of wildlife may occur; (5) interject himself into the line of fire; (6) effect the condition or placement of personal or public property intended for use in the taking of wildlife; or (7) enter or remain upon public lands, or upon private lands without the permission of the owner or his agent, with intent to violate this section. The superior court shall have jurisdiction to issue an injunction to enjoin any such conduct or conspiracy in violation of the provisions of this section. A person who sustains damage as a result of any act which is in violation of this section may bring a civil action for punitive damages. Environmental protection officers and other law enforcement officers with arrest powers shall be authorized to enforce the provisions of this section.

This section shall not apply to the owners of the lands or waters or tenants or other persons acting under the authority of such owners of the lands or waters.

PETA nazis, like liberals, don't care what the laws are if they have their own agenda.

My guess woudl be Antis.....

A met a guy once, that when confronted with Anti-Hunters, after a sucessful pheasant hunt, removed one of the birds from the game bag, and bit its head off....

Now, I know that woudl be more difficult with a deer, but it DID make the point, eloquently (if messily).

YMMV

Best of luck with your equipment....

In gonna build what will appear to be a camera box, make some holes and what not on it paint it up and strap it to the tree. Then hide the real one good...

[thumbsup]
...Next evening, the soldier summoned the dog to fetch the Princess again. So he did, and ran as fast as he could; however, not so fast but that the ancient dame watching at the Princess's couch was able to follow them. She saw the dog vanish in a large house; then, thinking to herself: "Now I know what to do", she took out a piece of chalk and made a great white cross on the door. But on his way back the dog chanced to observe the white cross on the door; so he immediately took another piece of chalk, and set crosses on every door throughout the town. Early in the morning came out the King, the Queen, the old court dame, and all the officers of the royal household, every one of them curious to see where the Princess had been. "Here it is!" exclaimed the King, as soon as he saw the first street-door with a cross chalked on it. "My dear, where are your eyes? this is the house!" cried the Queen, seeing the second door bear a cross. "No, this is it surely -- why, here's a cross too!" cried all of them together, on discovering that there were crosses on all the doors. It was evident that their search would be in vain, and they gave it up...
<http://www.kellscraft.com/tinderbox.html>

Back
Top Bottom