War in Ukraine hardware photos megatsunami

Boris

Son of Kalashnikov
NES Member
I'm also on another Ukrainian shooters/collectors/diggers forum. It's in Ukrainian/Russian, so no competition to NES, but they got some really nice hardware pics for anyone who loves to spend time with a jar of vaseline and comblock galleries. The name is Reitbert.info. There is nothing in English so it's not in competition to NES. I'd love to re-post some photos here (hosted at another place) The hardware photos are from the current war with Russia over the Eastern territory. The landscape/weather is very much like Indiana (from what I know), lots of open spaces, lots of vegetation, continental climate without quick changes in weather, not too different from New England really, not like AZ or FL, for example.

As a backstory, according to what I believe is true (because pro-Russian/Putins will tell you otherwise) in 2014 lots of people got pissed off at their .gov, this culminated in about 100 people shot during protests and pro-Russian president fleeing the country, calling on Putin to intervene with Russian troops. Russia occupied Crimea with lots of troops. In many other regions, Russian-paid agents tried to take control over local .gov In two districts they succeeded. Since then they had a real shooting war. Initially everything up to aviation was used, many planes/helis shot down (including that Malaisian Boing [frown]) At this point there suppose to be a cease fire and no fly zone (to even drones) and any weapons higher than 80mm. The "peace" is still breached on daily basis, people die, civs die. The "separatists" receive most of their arms and ammo from Russia (which Putin denies) up to the most modern equipment like tanks and electronic warfare setups, also troops, both regular and "volunteers"/ reservists which make the backbone of the "separatists" side. On Uki side, in 2014, the army was in total crap condition. They did away with draft (unlike Russia) and most equipment/ training was just pathetic. Since then they made big strides in trying to rebuild the army, lots of help from NATO, including US in training, but also training with other NATO states like the Balts and Poles (same enemy [laugh])

So equipment wise, you can see a lot of comblock hardware together with non-issued setups/hardware. Most of it came from volunteers. Some real oldies like Mosins and Maxims from WWI ... yes, I (one). The interesting thing is, at this point it's basically a trench warfare, yes, hello trenches and everything that goes with them, raids, snipers etc., just no crazy charges over no man's land ... for most part, because some were known to happen with heavy casualties.

I'll try to post more pics every day or every other day. Just a request, please please please don't quote entire post with all the pictures, leave the picture you must talk about, but not the whole post.

Supressors seem to be very popular, not as much for the sound as flash itself. I've seen videos when a sniper is bated to respond while the area is recorded. Video is reviewed to find where the flash came from. Then sniper gets pummeled from HMGs. I suspect similar is true for small arms, hence lots of flash suppressors?

1g59fl.jpg

50cal, popular choice with some parts very new, some very old.

2v3sn6v.jpg

zntvmg.jpg

APS, Stechkin.

1pa2kz.jpg

x36ae9.jpg

vyp5ba.jpg

2872fs8.jpg

Maxims.

2j4biiv.jpg

ZOMG, Scorpion in a wild:

208fa5j.jpg

2v3sn6v.jpg

I shot more than my share of full auto and single shot at everything from paper to steel on the ole "Ma Deuce" in 20 years Army but WTH...I wonder what the kick is like on THAT thing???

- - - Updated - - -

Boris, what side are we looking at? The Russian backed rebels, or does the Ukrainian army have a militia helping them?

[laugh2] This...Spent some time in Bosnia back in the 90's and was ready to buy stock in Nike....

I'm pretty positive that most of that was counterfeit Chinese goods. I never heard of Nike until I got to US. The thing to dream about was Adidas, Puma and Arena ... I bet you never heard of that brand [laugh]

Boris, what side are we looking at? The Russian backed rebels, or does the Ukrainian army have a militia helping them?

These are all Ukrainian armed forces. As I said, their supply even todays isn't great, so many wear boots of their own purchase or something that volunteers were able to get and send to the front lines. Same deal with clothing, lots of surplus. There was a video from a few years back when some separatists tried to cross an open field in broad day light and were all shot to pieces. One of them lost his boots. Good boots are hard to come by, especially in the winter and especially when they were practically new. [hmmm]

In terms of help, US never provided lethal aid or even something more useful like night vision. A lot of it was purchased in Europe or US and smuggled in. I also see some Barrets and Remis, not sure how those got in. They have been pretty resourceful in setting up small shops to do accurizing of existing equipment or something as trivial as doing camo patterns in the field.

2rnk9is.jpg

syw7wn.jpg

2u5duac.jpg

Just speculating here, but Id assume theres gotta be a fairly sizable group of TCNs that have made their way to Ukraine to fight the Russians?

Godspeed to those tough, young Ukrainian Men. There is something very AMERICAN about them.
~Matt

Are those home made silencers?
And I feel like we should start a group buy to donate boots or something for these guys?

I'm pretty positive that most of that was counterfeit Chinese goods. I never heard of Nike until I got to US. The thing to dream about was Adidas, Puma and Arena ... I bet you never heard of that brand [laugh]

LOL...You're right. Never did hear of Arena. And thanks for FIFM on the track suit nomenclature ( Nike is to track suits like Sheet Rock is to any gypsum wall board)...Adidas and Puma were the go to thing...1 Rep point for technical exactness awarded. And keep the pics coming...Some interesting set ups the boys are working with..

Mosin Nagant without the huge bayonet... [sad2]

16gx2fn.jpg

NES vacation?

I don't know the exact number, but many people, especially new, frequently get killed or maimed in less glorious ways like from sniper bullet. Here is a Russian POM2, tripwire in a wild. A big part of being there isn't about killing the enemy but survival.

1q1gnt.jpg

Are those home made silencers?
And I feel like we should start a group buy to donate boots or something for these guys?

I don't know exactly how it works, civilian gun ownership is still very restrictive, but there are shops that accurize various rifles and also modify guns in small batches, so it's not quiet home made, but there are many short runs that go to trials and war.

These are batch of reworked DShKs, a Soviet 50bmg gun that was turned into a more precise single shot/semi. From what I gather, most engagement take place at 500yards to 1500 yards distance. Not quiet the range for SVDs, but 12.7mm armor piercer will go through 18 inches of concrete. There are also accurized 14.5mm "sniper" guns.

2pood2x.jpg

14mx99x.jpg

This is one of the examples of the other side, Russian long range sniper rifle DXL-4 (http://lobaevarms.ru/products/sverhdalnobojnaya-snajperskaya-vintovka-dxl-4/)

2dwhxsn.jpg

116t4b6.jpg

Going back to DShK conversions, basically the tripod/cradle contains the monster spring that manages recoil and cycling on full auto.

1yqujl.jpg

I'm not sure how these are converted, but looks like there is no cradle, hence it becomes a semi and trigger is probably some double stage that ultimately pushes against spade grips to fire.

mn19ie.jpg

nvtb3t.jpg

note a hammer on the table in the last pic [laugh] ... universal comblock tool [laugh]

Last edited:
50 bmg sniper rifles, that's soooo last decade [laugh] 14.5 is in [shocked]

se3h1t.jpg

[video=youtube_share;Xq2o9kW_VZo]http://youtu.be/Xq2o9kW_VZo[/video]

counter-snipers and their bait

2zzriiv.jpg

2ldbm37.jpg

So WTF happened to all the former soviet hardware? Sold off to Africa?

Probably, and also US. They have shortage of comblock ammo and actually some Baltic state sold them a bunch from their reserves (they are on NATO standard) I believe that they buy some ammo from Bulgaria as well, but it's not cheap.

11vh289.jpg

sq4cqo.jpg

esuu03.jpg

24f9ydc.jpg

wi7d4z.jpg

24ezyh5.jpg

33etyxh.jpg

126g4n6.jpg

14.5 mm again

15ry6ae.jpg

264pc01.png

Snipex 50BMG

11r86r8.jpg

Z008, kind of like a AR clone, but magwell is part of the upper, more of a HK clone AR look-alike

zlw8w5.jpg

Probably, and also US. They have shortage of comblock ammo and actually some Baltic state sold them a bunch from their reserves (they are on NATO standard) I believe that they buy some ammo from Bulgaria as well, but it's not cheap.

11vh289.jpg

That RPG setup looks interesting. Looks like they are remote firing them?

Back
Top Bottom