Want to replace my .45

Xak

It will replace my Sig P220. I want a gun with rails to attach a light for home defense and was hoping to get one with a 5" barrel. I was thinking of just getting a newer P220 with rails, but then I saw a S&W 1911 with rails in a store.

Any thoughts on the S&W 1911PD Tactical Rail Series? The one I saw was beautiful, and under $1000.

Any other suggestions?

Last edited:
You can add the rail to almost any 1911 for short $, as long as the dustcover is of the original design. Greg

The PD Tactical is an amazing gun. I have one in Stainless with a TLR-2 on it. This gun is by far my most reliable gun out of all my .45s. I've thrown all sorts of ammo at it, and nothing makes it hiccup. Very good choice. My 2 cents....

1911DK

i recently purchased a 1911DK, i've noticed that it does not like SWC ammo.
my reloads or factory loads.. it does like RN"s... i have 2 other S&W 45
autos and they will shoot most anything.... is this the norm for 1911's
or is it just my gun....

whats your experience...

JimB

I have to assume (I hate that word) for a moment that you practiced diligently with your P220 and achieved a level of proficiency with it, and by that I mean taking the weapon from a secure location and fire. Now you are contemplating going over to a handgun with a totally different manual of arms. Kindly remember that if you choose a 1911 style pistol that you will need to invest time to learn the new manual of arms whether you carry outside the home or not. There is more to buying a new gun with a different manual of arms than you are used to and simply running a few boxes of ammo at the range. Since you plan to use this weapon for home defense, you must also be willing to put in the requisite practice time, that in my estimation is a major factor in deciding whether or not to purchase a new firearm for defensive purposes.

Since this is not a carry gun but a home defense gun, you basically have three Conditions in which to keep your 1911 in: 1,2,3. I think that most who keep a 1911 for home defense choose either Condition 1 (locked and cocked) or Condition 3 (empty chamber, rack the slide to chamber a round). This is much different from your P220 where you pick up pistol, aim and pull trigger. Please remember that it takes thousands of repetitions for an action to become instinctive muscle memory.

Please bear that in mind...because if things get dicey, you don't want to present your weapon and revert to the P220 manual of arms. Also, you need to find some way to practice with the light. It will be a different experience.

1911's are cool and arguably the ultimate fighting handgun, but they do require a higher degree of diligence with regard to their manual of arms. It's one thing to go to the range and use one as a "fun gun" and quite another to use one for "serious social purposes."

Best wishes to you,

Mark L.

Back
Top Bottom