Want a 'mint' 1903 Springfield?

Rileys in Hooksett has an 03, not an 03A2, but a real nice 03 for $750.00. She matches from end to end. Low serial # also. Much nicer than that Auction. jp

Heck, my CMP '03 is cleaner than that. It was an arsenal refinish in '44 and I don't think it fired a shot between when it left the arsenal and I got it. Judging by the condition and the cosmoline, mine never saw daylight between '44 and '04.

Yeah this one doesn't look too minty. It seems like it has a lot of finish pitting that has been parked over if I'm not mistaken (barrel and receiver look particularly bad in the up close photos)

I don't know if anyone here picked it up, but at the "dealer who shall not be named" a widow brought in a 1903 A3 that was all original and and in brand new never issued condition reciever and barrel match, etc. The stock did not have a scratch on it, the bolt and barrel were still full of cosmo and perfect catouches, and it guaged out perectly. I heard it went or $450.00 [crying]..I hope that person realizes what they have.....

Last edited:
The question is, why didn't you grab it?

I found my 03 from a board member. Well used, worn finish, but mechanically in great shape. Serial is in the range of the last 4000 or so made before they switched to 03A3s. 1910 barrel that has been used but still has strong rifling and isn't dark (somewhere I read that this barrel may well be correct because the late number receivers were made as spares/replacements?). Stock has a few very small repairs but is in great shape.

Last edited:
Oh, that's a long story my friend......but the fact that I just put out a nice chunk of change for a Garand has something to do with it. Besides I have one A3 in similar condition and I really did not need another. However had the circumstances been different I would have adopted it...

My friend's father has his arsenal rebuilt 03 that was issued to him as a B-29 crewman in WWII. He brought it home as well as another crew members unfired where it sits today. His son has one and the other is hung over his fireplace.
I'm sorry I didn't pick up a CMP when I had the chance.

Back
Top Bottom