Walther P38

Will do folks. Thanks. Anything I should concentrate on?

I know that the gun is all matching through out. Mint bore, and has a matching serialized holster

Made by Carl Walther, Zella-Mehlis in 1944. "ac" was the code for Walther at that time.
P.38's were made by Walther, Mauser/Oberndorf and Spreewerk/Sprottau. The Eagle w/ 359 under it is the WaA (Waffenamt) mark.
Your pistol is the 66,087th made by Walther in that year (numbering started at 1 through 9999, then 1a-9999a, 1b......).

Gunny sez
0b4b1ab7.jpg

1944 was a year that they made a ton of these great pistols. They are very common also due to the fact that most early years/variations went East and never came home. Like my pal Juergen says.....Pictures please!

Value is depending of three major criteria: Condition, condition and condition as well as

- unaltered original (no import marks or Russian capture, look for an "X" mark)
- % of original blue
- re-conditioned/buffed/re-blued
- original holster and type thereof
- Vet bring back w/capture papers
- market (currently lower in Germany than in the U.S.)

An ac44 is a run-off-the-mill code, certainly not as much sought as i.e. a 480 code,
a HP (Heerespistole, technical predecessor of the P.38) or a 0 or even 00 series.

Walther wanted to produce 10,000 per month. Total production for 1944 if I remember correctly was around 140,000. Obviously many were lost in the war but the later war specimens are more common (43-44, 45 as we know was a shorter production due to the end of the war)

Back
Top Bottom