Walther, Do I trust it again?

I haven't been shooting long, a little over a year and a half. But I've never had a gun break before.

Today while at the range my Walther PPS trigger failed to reset. It went bang, but no more.... I removed the mag, and racked the slide a few times until it did reset ( 3 times before reset ) and went to pull the trigger. Holy crap, my 10 lb mass trigger ( which until now was a smooth tolerable 10 lbs ) was now at least 15+ lbs of creepy, grindy [puke]. It goes click ( dry fire ) but does not reset. Even after a good cleaning, it will still not reset with any regularity.

The gun a has been returned to the dealer where I purchased for repair, which knowing them will be done promptly and well.

But, This is my CCW. As I would assume most PPS's are. I'm quite honestly a bit pissed that my $600+ gun that takes $50+ mags has broken with the I clean/take care of my firearms.

I really do love the gun, little recoil, conceals very well, the right capacity and firepower (imho)

But, it needs to go BANG when I tell it to....

Would YOU trust it?

After it is repaired, give it a nice test run.

If it functions properly with no issues, I would trust it.

I also use a PPS for a primary carry. I have experienced the non-reset, after the H disconnector replacement, turned out to be some large foreign material was stuck in there a REALLY good cleaning got it working right.

As far as trusting it... To me trust is a a rather strong word to use for any mechanical device. All mechanical devices are prone to failure at any given to for a myriad of reasons. Up until today one would assume you trusted it?

I clean and function check the PPS as needed, I do everything within reason to ensure proper operation. However when if I ever need to press the bang switch in a time of need, personal opinion is any gun is prone to mechanical failure/operation at any time.

Do I "trust" any gun, no. In my short time with firearms I have seen some crazy things.. How about the thumb safety on a new 1K+ S&W 1911 breaking right off...

Do I feel yours will be reliable enough to act properly when returned to proper operation yes.

But, it needs to go BANG when I tell it to....

Would YOU trust it?

I had one that did it right out of the box needless to say went back to the trusty g26 and sold that pos

It sounds like yours has had more than a few rounds through it. When I first got mine (brand new), I took it to the range and had a couple of failure to enter/eject/return to battery, but a thorough cleaning, it's never given me any problems. Hopefully I never have to find out whether or not I can "trust" it.

FWIW, my Sig P226 has gone click when I expected a bang on a few occasions. Put the ammo back in and it did fire, so it wasn't a defective round. Any mechanical device can malfunction at any time, there is no perfect device that will work 100% of the time.

...there is no perfect device that will work 100% of the time.

Although the "Glock torture" video that was posted here last year was rather impressive.

Couldn't find it, but found this one regarding a good trigger pull gone bad on a Glock, so don't feel bad about your Walther.

P.S. The music made me ROFL while they filmed the Glock behind the truck, and if you've never heard a pistol make sounds like a frog, watch after the credits...

Last edited by a moderator:
FWIW, my Sig P226 has gone click when I expected a bang on a few occasions. Put the ammo back in and it did fire, so it wasn't a defective round. Any mechanical device can malfunction at any time, there is no perfect device that will work 100% of the time.

Your gun is broken or you were using bad ammo. When something like a P226 doesn't fire when it is supposed to, something is seriously wrong. Even a "few times" is a few times too many, IMO.

Anything can fail, certainly, but if you are experiencing intermittent failures with any decent handgun, and it's not the ammo, then something is definitely wrong with the gun.

-Mike

I also use a PPS for a primary carry. I have experienced the non-reset, after the H disconnecter replacement, turned out to be some large foreign material was stuck in there a REALLY good cleaning got it working right.

As far as trusting it... To me trust is a a rather strong word to use for any mechanical device. All mechanical devices are prone to failure at any given to for a myriad of reasons. Up until today one would assume you trusted it?

I clean and function check the PPS as needed, I do everything within reason to ensure proper operation. However when if I ever need to press the bang switch in a time of need, personal opinion is any gun is prone to mechanical failure/operation at any time.

Do I "trust" any gun, no. In my short time with firearms I have seen some crazy things.. How about the thumb safety on a new 1K+ S&W 1911 breaking right off...

Do I feel yours will be reliable enough to act properly when returned to proper operation yes.

I realized "trust" is probably a silly word to use. I also realize, that I'm most defiantly over reacting as this happened on a very difficult and sad weekend ( family issues ) and I was at the range trying to enjoy myself for a bit.

But, I do think we all put our "trust" in mechanical things. Stepped on your brakes lately? If you did not have a high level of "trust" in them you probably wouldn't ride in that car. Certainly its not blind "trust or "faith" proper maintains and service are required to maintain proper function and service. When this maintenance and service is done on a quality mechanical whatever I do expect it to work.

I'm over reacting, I know. ( it drives my wife nuts!!)

I work VERY hard for my money, I work a LOT of overtime to be able to afford the few firearms I have.

Wow, now I'm ranting and over reacting....

sorry all. drb

Sorry you had such a sad weekend, hopefully the week gets better for you.

I hear what you have to say and I understand it. Personally I "trust" no one and nothing. You asked would I trust it.. I answered as honestly as I could.

Great comparison on the car brakes, whats funny is personally I check on my firearm WAY more often than checking ANY safety part of the car. My cars brake system has a backup emergency braking system therefore when it fails I understand what I can do to overcome the mechanical failure, in time of need I feel confident I know how to use it... Will it yield the same results, likely not......

Do I have a plan for when god forbid I have to defend myself or my family and I have a FTE/FTF etc etc.. Hell no is it something I have considered yes.

I do not think you are over reacting at all, you paid good money for a device that should go BANG when instructed to, not arguing that point at all. No doubt is there a reasonable expectation for somewhat simple mechanical devices work when called upon!!!

On a side note my PPS trigger is now almost nice LOL Used some Weapon shield LIthi-Grease on some of the trigger points, with the S-Disconnector... NIGHT and DAY difference!!! When I goto the range I'm lubing this sucker up:)

I realized "trust" is probably a silly word to use.

But, I do think we all put our "trust" in mechanical things. Stepped on your brakes lately?

Back
Top Bottom