Waltham Skeds.

I picked up one of these....I haven't had a chance to get it up...I'm hoping that I can mount it this weekend.

http://tinyurl.com/yj5j68r

ETA: It got a lot of reviews...and he's got a couple of articles written about building this antenna. I was going to try to build it myself....but I didn't really understand it yet...so I just picked it up...it was only 22 bucks. It cost me a dollar for the PVC and 5 bucks for the antenna mount.

I picked up one of these....I haven't had a chance to get it up...I'm hoping that I can mount it this weekend.

ETA: It got a lot of reviews...and he's got a couple of articles written about building this antenna. I was going to try to build it myself....but I didn't really understand it yet...so I just picked it up...it was only 22 bucks. It cost me a dollar for the PVC and 5 bucks for the antenna mount.

Really!?!? That looks great. There's a roll-up version tuned for no PVC pipe that I could hang from a tree; also $22! I noticed in another thread that Squelch has a Diamond X50. I was considering going to the candy store this weekend to blow the $99 onon the Diamond, but now you got me thinking.

Really!?!? That looks great. There's a roll-up version tuned for no PVC pipe that I could hang from a tree; also $22! I noticed in another thread that Squelch has a Diamond X50. I was considering going to the candy store this weekend to blow the $99 onon the Diamond, but now you got me thinking.

I've got 2 Diamond X50's up for over 12 years and they work great.

I just ordered the fixed (PCV pipe) version and the roll-up version for portable/camping. I love building stuff.

This antenna's designer is Ed Fong of UC Berkeley in CA. He also makes them himself. The guy is NOT out to make money on these antennas. He noticed I ordered one of each type so he emailed me just to tell me he was shipping them together and nocking 1$ off the 4$ shipping! He's obviously in it just to contribute to amateur radio. I emailed him back telling him it is people like him that make amateur radio great. Here's his reply:

Thanks for the complements. Yes, it takes about 30-40 minutes to make one of these antennas. When it arrives, you will see it. On the base station, think about drilling the hold, mounting the connector, cutting the coax, splicing the coax, soldering the coax, cutting the wire, the stubs, etc. I have my daughter do as much as she can. She also has her friends come over and they can make some money. In the end, I put it all together.

Thanks for the complements.

Ed Fong

Awesome. Just awesome.

I hung mine up yesterday....I did some checking...and while I can't get as far as I can with my Ringo Ranger...the SWR meter shows very good results.. I can hit the local 70cm machines, but I'm not getting a response from any of the repeaters that are out away from me... I'm thinking that they just don't push out enough to get back to me...

Things are very clear when getting people talking back to me. I was able to key up the Paxton repeater from this antenna...but I couldn't get me to talk on it.. I was listening on the other radio...I could talk on my Ringo and hear on the Icom (attached to this antenna) but I couldn't talk on the Icom and hear on the Yaesu.

I just ordered the fixed (PCV pipe) version and the roll-up version for portable/camping. I love building stuff.

Let me know how it works out, I may get one for use in my pop-up camper.

I haven't tried the roll-up version, but the one to go in the PVC pipe seems to work great. With the squelch down and 60W I've hit worcester and Paxton which are both over 50 miles away.

The roll-up version is different construction with lighter twin-lead, but it comes with a BNC on its 4' long tail and a BNC-SMA adapter...all for $22 + $2 shipping. The guy's clearly not in it to make $.