• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Walmart - Federal 40S&W Champion, Anyone Try This Ammo Yet???????

I was at Walmart tonite and all they had in 40S&W was Federal Champion? It is only $12.50 per box of 50. The model number on the box is WM5223 and for some reason it is not listed on Federal's website either. I picked up 2 boxes.

Has anybody used this stuff yet? How did it shoot compared to other target ammo like WWB? I read on another forum that it is just Blazer Brass in a new box made just for Walmart but that is the only info that I can find about this ammo. It very well may be since it is the exact same price. Any feedback or info is appreciated.

Last edited:
I bought some federal stuff from walmart.. black and red box?? I can go look, but if its the same, it worked fine in my glock, and hubbys browning..I thought I paid closer to 9 for it though..

Yes it is the black and red box. I think the 9mm was around $9.00 per box, but the 40S&W was $12.50. Glad to hear it worked well for you. It's reasonably priced so I'm hoping to go back for more soon.

Just read that someone contacted Federal and they said that it is the same bullet and load as American Eagle loaded only for Walmart. That is why the model number starts with WM for "WalMart

This is great because at my local gun shop the cheapest box of 50 round target ammo in 40S&W costs $25.00, that means I can get 100 rounds for the price of 50. Federal seems to make quality ammo from the reviews I have read.

I have fired the American Eagle ammo. Worked great with my M&P 40 Compact.

I just bought some the WM Federal ammo. Will let ya know how it fires next time I get to the range.

I picked up the 6 box limit of the red and black box Federal 9mm a couple of weeks ago at the Walpole Wal-Mart - it shot great!...and for $8.97 per box of 50 - can't beat it!

The salesman at the time said it was new and he had never seen it before.

Hope to be seeing more it it

Went back to Wally's tonight and tried to clean them out. They had 9 boxes left of the 40S&W Federal. I said I'll take all of them. The lady in that department didn't have a clue about caliber size and said "I don't know anything about ammo" and stood their like she couldn't do anything for me, like I should come back or something? I then said "it's very simple, it says 40S&W on the box", she then said "well your going to have to come around the counter and show me" Duuuhhhhhh?????? What a dummy! The person in charge of the ammo doesn't know how to read a box?

Anyway, she said I could only get 5 boxes. I said "the sign in front of you says 6 boxes allowed" She then picked up the phone and called a manager to ask them because she insisted that 5 boxes was the limit. The manager told her it was 6 also. Geez how stupid can you be, the sign says 6 boxes. At this point I knew she wasn't going do me a favor and give me all 9 boxes. She was on some kind of power trip already. She also dropped a couple boxes on the floor when she tried picking up all 6 boxes to put them next to the register. Yeah lady, they are kind of heavy! So she rang me up and I went out to my car and put them in the trunk. I then went back into the store about 10 minutes later and nobody was in the ammo department. So I grabbed the guy working in electronics and asked him if he could get me some ammo, he said "sure no problem". We walked over to the ammo and he was trying to open the cabinet but didn't have the right key. He then paged someone to help and guess who comes walking over, yeah the brilliant ammo Nazi. She says "he can't buy any, I just sold him 6 boxes". I then said " yeah I know but this store is a half hour ride for me and I am just going to come back tommorow morning to buy the other 3 boxes so it would save me some gas and time with the same outcome." The guy from electronics says "yeah it's all right, we can take care of you". Then the lady said " no way not happening, I don't care how far you have to drive, yada yada yada" I said " it's not like it's a state law or anything, it's just a store rule". I also said " the State of Massachussetts says that I can carry a concealed Large Capacity Fire Arm but you won't let me buy a couple extra boxes of ammo that I am going to get either way?" She wasn't having it and I left. So I guess i'll be heading back tommorow morning. Keep in mind this all happened at 9:50pm tonight, 10 minutes before they were closing. I was very polite to her the whole time and she gave me nothing but attitude. She must be anti gun or something? So stupid. Oh Well, rant over lol,,,,,,

Glad to hear that this ammo works good. I can't believe the price especially these days. It's like half price compared to almost anything else out there. Dick's is getting $21.00 for a box of Remington UMC 40S&W. I will be shooting this Federal Champion from now on! I suggest others get out there and get some soon as it just came out and is specificaly made for WalMart. Handgun ammo is very hard to come by around my area at any WalMart so I am usually stuck paying $25.00 a box at the gun shop or $21.00 at Dick's if they even have any.

Last edited:
I like to wear my george bush "loves my guns" shirt when I go to walmart. At least they had ammo. Plymouth WM near me right next to dicks niether has had any selection of ammo each time I go. Why is it that the box is relabeled for walmart? Do you think it could be factory seconds, inconsistant bullet weights???

Yeah, I made 3 trips to two different W-Marts and got 18 boxes of the .40. That about shoots the bottom out of my ammo budget though.

Yes its good stuff
In Michigan its $14 for a box of 50 at WalMarts ( found it on sale at Gander Mountain over christmas 2010 and bought all they had at $11 a box )
I cant reload it for that price
I buy it by the case 1000 rnds at a time
burns cleaner than Winchester or Remington and for range ammo I like the price
I buy the 180 grn tmj
had 1 mishap with a primer pocket
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1238848628647.28518.1752210443
its good ammo and I use it all the time the price is right

I never understood ammo restrictions. If its so popular that your selling out of it so fast that you need a limit, that should be a clue. STOCK A TON OF IT.

You do realize this thread is two years old, right?

Honestly, nope. Not even sure how I came to find it honestly.[laugh]

I would have continued to be blissfully ignorant had you not said something. [rofl]

ETA: ah, now I see...john9469 dug it up. I used his post to put a date on the thread, but never looked at the date of the first post.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom