Waiting on my Stag Upper. Anything I should uprgrade prior to assembly?

This is my first AR and I don't need to hear the "shoudl have bought a Colt, LMT, etc instead of Stag."

I got the group buy on complete Stag uppers from Pete @ Legal Transfers. Here is the link for what it comes with http://ar15sa.fatcow.com/store/page2.html

Its the 2nd item down, below the lower parts kit. I am still trying to find a lower. Is it worth doing gas blocks, free float conversions, rails, etc? I would like to do a sight of some type, not sure which one yet. I just don't want to put it together and then find out I should have done some upgrades prior to assy. I haven't got it yet, but hope to in a few weeks. Now the wait is up to 18-20 weeks, when I ordered it was only 6-8 weeks estimated.

This isn't just a range gun. I need it to be reliable if personal protection would be needed and we all know the zombies are coming!! I am thinking of a skeleton stock just because I like them.

I'm still a newb in the AR world and I almost ordered the same kit. I think that it's a good way to start. I think many here will stay Stag make an excellent product. As for the accessories you mention, many say free float is the way to go. I haven't gotten that far yet, so I cannot comment. But I think you are on the right track. What I like best about the AR is you can try something and if you don't like it, swap it with something else.

ps. I have the ACE skeleton stock and I like it alot.

Extractor spring and buffer. The stock spring is a four coil when it should be a five coil, and the buffer is blue when it should be black.

-DM-

Get magpul followers for any of your magazines if your shooting anything heavier than 55gr. since Stags dont have the m4 feedramps.

As I have stated in many threads, get the gas key properly staked. Many FTF/FTE problems can be traced to the gas keys coming loose and thus causing the action to not cycle properly.

Remove the heatshields and get either a DD Omega or a Troy Industries MRF-DI for a rail system. These rails are nice in that you don't need to see an armorer to install them.

Get a good quality sling (Such as the VCAS), really good light, a quality optic and some ammo to practice with. Up to personal preference but you may consider a vertical for grip.

Another thing you may wish to replace for comfort is the grip to a MIAD. Me and my wife love ours. Also, since you live up north REALLY think about getting a Magpul Enhanced Trigger Guard. Lets you shoot the AR with gloves on.

There is nothing overall wrong with a Stag. They make some really good reliable products. You just need to do some minor upgrades to make it more reliable is all. Down the road you may want to look at getting a 1/7" chrome barrel with the M4 feedramps but again, its NOT mandatory.

Last edited:
Thanks guys for the input. Is there anything I can't do myself? I am not a gunsmith and have no experience doing a build. I have a local gun store that I wont' mention, but there have been many reports of their sub par gunsmithing. I don't need that. I figure I can gather all the parts and then do it all at once hopefully. The main thing for me is just getting the upper in hand and then finding a stripped lower. +

What about a gas block? I don't think the upper comes with one installed on it. It does come w/ a follower on the mag though. Doesn't specify the manufacturer, but its green.

I live on the South Shore so location is a big things for gunsmithing. I know there has to be someone around the south shore that does it properly if I need it.

Last edited:
I also bought from Pete in the group buy, MA compliant of course [sad]. If you are looking for a stripped lower give John at JDL Sales a call. Also check with him for stocks as well, he has a pretty good selection. He had Stag stripped lowers for a really good price. (he did just a few days ago and still might) I bought my stripped lower from Pete since I was up in his area and it went together in well under an hour and that was my first one. I'm now working on numbers 2 & 3, but they will take a little while as parts have become very scarce and or priced more than I will spend. (I'm in no rush) Figure I'll do one dedicated .22lr and one more 5.56. Good luck and keep us posted.

As for the gas block, it is the front sight post. Unless you want to change that out at a later date and go with a flip front as well as the MI flip BUIS. After you shoot it a while you will start to see what you want to change, then the BRD will set in.

Last edited:
I might change it out now while I'm there. It comes with a flip up rear sight already installed according to the website.

I was thinking JDL and I saw his post, but he is all the way in Springfield, thats a long ride for me. If all else fails I may have to travel out there. My local FFL would probably have a problem doing the transfer for me, in fact I know they would.

I could buy the parts from JDL and have them shipped to me I suppose, other than the lower correct? Its my understanding that complete rifles and lower receivers have to go thru FFL dealers, but thats all.

Last edited:
Its my understanding that complete rifles and lower receivers have to go thru FFL dealers, but thats all.

That is correct. Although it could be worth the ride if he still has a stripped lower in stock at what he was advertising them for. They are going for over $200 on AR15.com for the same thing and while you are there you can check out all the toys.

That is correct. Although it could be worth the ride if he still has a stripped lower in stock at what he was advertising them for. They are going for over $200 on AR15.com for the same thing and while you are there you can check out all the toys.

I may have to. I don't even have the upper yet and I'm trying to get it all together and do it once so I can enjoy it and keep the zombies away. I was thinking of trying that 4 seasons place in Woburn and see what they have. Its a lot closer than Springfiled and he seems to have good reviews on here.

Hey welcome to NEShooters. I believe I have met you before, you have a turbo mustang I believe?

Anyway, i have built quite a few AR15's and for the most part they are very user freindly. Nothing needs to be upgraded before assembly, since everything will be equally accesssable afterward. This will guide you in assembling it, http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=4&t=226782

If you have any problems im sure either someone on here, or Zero Hour Arms in Easton can help you out.

Good luck with your build!

Thanks bird, your own NEMS right? If you are then obviously I have the same screen name on there too.

I'll try Zero Arms. Easton is closer than Woburn and a lot closer than Springfield. Maybe Zero Arms would be willing to have a lower shipped there. Thanks.

Thanks bird, your own NEMS right? If you are then obviously I have the same screen name on there too.

I'll try Zero Arms. Easton is closer than Woburn and a lot closer than Springfield. Maybe Zero Arms would be willing to have a lower shipped there. Thanks.

Yes sir and i believe you were on Rekless back in the day as well.

Its a nice little store with good people. They will definately do the transfer for you.

Good Luck!

nothing wrong with a Stag!

BTW, I doubt you'd have heard that here...

Stag AR's don't get the best accolades on ar15.com and m4carbine.com. They are always criticized for their flaws and people always say for a little more money you can get a LMT, Colt or Noveske. I thought the Stag upper group buy and a stripped lower were a good price.

I haven't heard it here.

Fbird I was on Reckless too, I posted pics of my turbo on there I think. I'll try Zero Arms and see if he will do the transfer. Any suggestions on a quality gun smith in the southern MA area? I would prefer to go locally than have to ship it out or travel 2 hours, i.e. Springfield. I know JDL is well regarded on here, but he is just too far for me to go.

Stag AR's don't get the best accolades on ar15.com and m4carbine.com. They are always criticized for their flaws and people always say for a little more money you can get a LMT, Colt or Noveske. I thought the Stag upper group buy and a stripped lower were a good price.

I haven't heard it here. .
You have to realize that alot of the Ar15.com and m4carbine.com are quite frankly..... SNOBS!

they'll call any component not made by Larue Tactical, LMT, or Noveske junk, and any optic other than a $1200 Leopold scope or a an ACOG garbage. They are both a good source of information but their oppinions are to be taken with a grain of salt.

You have to realize that alot of the Ar15.com and m4carbine.com are quite frankly..... SNOBS!

they'll call any component not made by Larue Tactical, LMT, or Noveske junk, and any optic other than a $1200 Leopold scope or a an ACOG garbage. They are both a good source of information but their oppinions are to be taken with a grain of salt.

Yeah I've been noticing that. Its almost like they think that if it costs the most money then its the best. I'm not doing this on a budget or being cheap, but if I can do a couple simple upgrades to a Stag kit and get a reliable and accurate gun thats fine with me. I figure if Stag was so low quality then the group buy Pete @ Legal Transfers has going wouldn't have gotten as big as it did.

Like anything else, you get what you pay for. Even Derek and a couple other well respected members have said about optics = no such thing as cheap and good. If you have the choose between a $150 Highpoint or a S&W M&P handgun to protect your life, which would you choose? When your life depends on reliability would you entrust it to the cheapest gun you could find?

You must also have to take into account the makeup of members on M4C vs here. For the most part members here are rec. shooters while over at m4C their membership are soldiers in active war zones, trainers from established schools as well as private security personnel stationed here and abroad.

In regards to Stag, the target market for them is clearly recreational. All you need to see is just from what is offered in their uppers (no M4 feedramps, no ind. HPT/MPI testing). If your target audience are those who require extremely high reliability from their weapons then you would need to put those features/tests on it.

I have first hand experience why such a small feature as the M4 feedramps are needed.
When I had my RRA M4gery I would get LOTS of Failure to Feeds whenever I fired the weapon as fast as I could pull my trigger. I read/hear/seen multiple horror stories all over the net, range and from shooting friends about DPMS's quality control.

That said, on M4C the Stag is not badmouthed as being below quality in terms of QC but rather in the aspects that make it a much more reliable weapon when your getting your ass shot at. If you read a lot more into M4C you will see that newcomers such as S&W and Charles Daly Defense get recommendations as well as a great starting point for a personal defense weapon.

An article you may wish to check out is one by Rob Sloyer "Oh No! I Bought a BM/RRA/Stag Before I Knew Better!" But right now the links he has listed are not working because the articles he is refrencing are on a site who is down.

First of all, it's important to note that the below only really applies to guns intended for defensive, or offensive, purposes. If you really only ever intended your rifle as a plinker there isn't much need to do any of the below because the worst thing that will ever happen if your rifle fails to function will be that it will end your day at the range and several coke-cans will be spared that day.

He then lists ways to prep a Stag/BM/RRA for harder use. A person over at M4C.net is trying it out with great success and ignoring the people who go 'should have gotten a LMT'.

Last edited:
I read the Sloyer link recently and I know price does mean quality in some cases. Someday maybe a barrel upgrade will be in the works, but now the parts are almost impossible to get so I want to upgrade what I can and then just get it together. Will I ever need it for self defense, probably not, but I keep all my guns ready for the day if it comes and my AR will be no different.

I believe he is referring to the Stag kit you pic'd in your link (the second one down) which when you order it from Pete you hopefully told him you need it in post-ban configuration. He might have asked when you ordered it since it was being shipped to MA.

oh yah I did. He called me the next day to find out for sure what I needed and to make sure I knew at the time it was 6-8 weeks. I then told him it was for MA. I just want to get it and assemble the gun and start using it. I am very excited as its my first AR.

I think for the most part, starting the AR bug now. Not so good. I ordered Stag model 2 MassCom on halloween. I got it in 2 weeks. On nov 2 I got email from stag saying order by the 5th or it will be several weeks out. Just made it. Fourseasons in wouburn is by far the best prices for your average AR needs. ZeroHour is a great little store, more for the assult weapon type guns. I stopped by there Saturday jan 3rd. was amassed at the prices $$$$$$. they have a lot of preban stuff. Really do you need a flash surpressor and bayo lug??? For a zombie gun.......a standard AR with iron sights and maybe a flash light mount is all you need. take five magazines and your AR of choice run it through some panic fire test. I just bough the S&W AR15FT with the rails and bull barrel.
For me though, if i needed to grab 1 gun for zombie control my polytech ak would be first. functions never has failed me, mags feed everything I can jam into it. I do not have enough personal time with my new ARs to really compare.

Thing about the pre-bans is that your gun is not neutered and not have to worry about 'is my gun in compliance' BS.

As far as prices go, pre-bans are very much supply-demand item. They command a premium in AWB-states for a reason.

Thing about the pre-bans is that your gun is not neutered and not have to worry about 'is my gun in compliance' BS.

As far as prices go, pre-bans are very much supply-demand item. They command a premium in AWB-states for a reason.

All the pre bans I've seen are between $1500-$2000 here in MA.

I think for the most part, starting the AR bug now. Not so good. I ordered Stag model 2 MassCom on halloween. I got it in 2 weeks. On nov 2 I got email from stag saying order by the 5th or it will be several weeks out. Just made it. Fourseasons in wouburn is by far the best prices for your average AR needs. ZeroHour is a great little store, more for the assult weapon type guns. I stopped by there Saturday jan 3rd. was amassed at the prices $$$$$$. they have a lot of preban stuff. Really do you need a flash surpressor and bayo lug??? For a zombie gun.......a standard AR with iron sights and maybe a flash light mount is all you need. take five magazines and your AR of choice run it through some panic fire test. I just bough the S&W AR15FT with the rails and bull barrel.
For me though, if i needed to grab 1 gun for zombie control my polytech ak would be first. functions never has failed me, mags feed everything I can jam into it. I do not have enough personal time with my new ARs to really compare.

I was there Saturday too. Picked up a stripped lower from them. Little more than I wanted to pay, but he had them and I didn't have to deal w/ transfer fees at an FFL. You don't need the bayo lug, flash suppressor or the collapseable stock. Its just that if you have them you are limited to your choice of components. I don't care about the collapseable stock, but I like the flash suppressor.

Back
Top Bottom