W. Virginia Concealed Carry Reciprocity

Monadnock

NES Member
Yesterday, West Virginia Attorney General Patrick Morrisey (R) announced that West Virginia has entered into full concealed handgun reciprocity agreements with both Iowa and New Hampshire. Therefore, West Virginia residents with a valid concealed handgun license (CHL) may now carry a concealed handgun for self-defense in both states.

Nice! Granted getting through NY, MA, CT, RI, MD, DE is still an issue, but now I can CC through PA, WV, KY, TN, NC, and GA to FL. And once in the Gulf area, can move from FL, to AL, MS, and LA. And I can get all the way to Utah on just the NH license. Of course, multiple licenses extend that range.

West Virginia was a bad sticking point in my experience ...not any more [grin]

Is that residents only or will they honor non-res CC permits issued by NH?

Off-hand without digging ...don't have time at the moment, I would say "yes", non-res licenses are valid. DO NOT just take my word for it. Here is a key passage in the "agreement":

Under the new agreements and pursuant to W. Va. Code § 61-7-6a, a valid Iowa or New Hampshire permit or license to possess or carry a handgun is valid in West Virginia for the carrying of a concealed handgun so long as the following conditions are met:

1. The permit or license holder is twenty-one years of age or older;

2. The permit or license is in his or her immediate possession; and

3. The permit or license holder is not a resident of the State of West Virginia.

Here's alink to the text:

West Virginia Reciprocity - Attorney Generals' Office

While that passage does not specifically disallow it, reveiwing the new agreement from New Hampshire's perspective may be the way to go.

This is cool and all, but I have no reason to ever visit WV. At least I know I'll be kosher if I have to bug out of NH when TSHTF and I travel through it to get to SC (if my parents move there before TSHTF), but at that point, I'll likely not GAF about ANY law at that point so....lol.

Back
Top Bottom