W.Lebanon/White River Junction show worth the ride?

Rockrivr1

NES Member
I see that W. Lebanon at the Fireside and White River Junction at CT Valley Auto Auction are both having gun shows this weekend. Seeing they are only 10 minutes apart I'm wondering if it's worth driving an hour and a half to visit them both on one day this weekend? Never been to either so I'm thinking about it. Unless the reviews are that they are both total crap.

I'll be hitting both shows.

One big let down is that I learned yesterday of the passing of Al Straitiff. According to his obituary, he was 71, and suffering from lymphoma.

He was a fixture at many of the shows for years, and was always decent to me. I'll miss seeing him.

Nine bucks for admission? Is that typical?

I haven't been to a gun show since moving to NH, but in AR/TX/LA, it was typically $5 to get in.

Prices have been creeping up as attendance has gone up and down. So have table prices for vendors. Rental fees for the rooms and insurance have gone up that much? Who knows?

Last week's Manchester show was $9 to get in but that was to view 300 x 8' tables. West Leb is only 125 x 6' tables. A little over a third as much display space for the same money. Draw your own conclusions.

Lines out the door at both shows. Couldn't get a parking space at West Lebanon at 9AM. Got in quickly, though. Spent $ at both shows , which is rare. Full review to follow.

Last edited:
Arrived in West Lebanon @ 9AM. No parking spaces to be had, cruised the lot for a minute and found a space. My primary focus at the shows is always getting the deal on reloading brass,tools, etc. for resale. Scored some nice brass right off, oddball and hard to find stuff. Less knife vendors than usual, all tables appeared to be full. No hot sauce vendors were present. Gun prices on the high side, with the usual full retard pricing on .22LR. Also noticed some of the smaller vendors with ammo had high prices as well. What, were those the boxes of ammo that the factory made with solid gold projectiles? There was one reloading vendor I hadn't previously seen; he had some decent stuff but was doing the old "no price on the box or bag" scam. Would have spent some dough there but no price label usually means ass rape so I kept my money. One sad note: I found out that Lew Marston from the Chichester, NH area passed away a couple of weeks ago. His son told me today at the show. Lew was at many of the shows for years, and was a class act and good to deal with.
Hit White River Junction next; the first time I ever saw a line at the new venue was today. Got right in. Bought some brass here and there, but very little else. Guns were high, and .22LR was full retard like in West Leb. Other ammo prices similar. One interesting note was the fact that 3 or 4 women were staffing a BATFE Table; they appeared to be Agents. No idea what they were doing. No hot sauce vendors. It was odd not seeing Al Straitiff and his wife there; you will recall that he passed away on February 19.
Went to Welch's after that; score some good brass and then hit a new place down in Plainfield, NH off of RT12A called Collector's Armory. It is housed in the building that held the old General Store. The guy has some interesting guns, some ammo, and other stuff. He had .300 H&H ammo for $20.00 a box. If you are in the area, it's worth a look.

Over all, it was a good day as my son was along, and we always have a good time. I live 45 minutes away from the show locations, and it was worth the trip for me.

Last edited:
Decided to take a road trip and visit both shows. It was a very nice ride going up Rt. 89. Nice area. Got to the Fireside at 11am and walked around. The show was on the small side but some decent stuff around. Nothing mind blowing in the price range, though I did buy some odds and ends. I went over to the other show and it was pretty similar. Did find a pretty decent deal on 1000 rounds of Blazer 124gr FMJ 9mm for $210. It was a fun day, but I'd probably skip them going forward.

Drove 1.5 hours to the West Lebanon show. Didn't even hear about the White River show... oh well. Got a Arisaka type 99 and a k98k at some great prices so I'm happy

Went to both. Didn't see anything I couldn't live without, but the shows themselves weren't bad.
FR pricing on 22lr, vendors apparently want to take the stuff home again.

Back
Top Bottom