Vz46 (Cz46) Fairly Usual Example

Most of you will recognize as a P.38, though. It's a war-time and a post-war pistol, if that makes sense, assembled in Czechoslovakia in 1946 at the Spreewerk Arsenal with mixed parts leftover from WWII. The Czechs individualized their new Vz46 model with a Rampant Lion stamp on the frame and/or barrel.

Mine is rather typical with cyq code (Spreewerk) frame, slide, grips and locking block. The barrel is fnh code (Boehmische Waffenwerke), and the mag jvd code (Erstre Nordboehmische Metallwarenfabrik) and stamped for Mauser. Serial number, 465, is matched on the frame, slide, barrel and locking block.

This one was later issued and marked for the East German Police (VOPO), and the police and Czech Lion stamps were later peened (defaced) to permit for import to the US from a Communist Bloc country, prior to 1968 as there are no import marks. The E/88, E/135 and WaA76 Nazi stamps were allowed to remain.

Unfortunately, there is no Rampant Lion on the top of the barrel, as can be found on some examples. The slide does have a post-war 'S' stamp on the left side (meaning unknown). Trigger guard has the Czech E and Lion on the left, and the 46 year of manufacture on the right. The mag floorplate is not stamped to match, but some are. Overall, it's a 90% gun with that special niche interest. Only 3,000 units were assembled.

Pics, and thanks for looking.

gXXPrCMl.jpg

SBruOjel.jpg

3m0W4cpl.jpg

iV79Dh1l.jpg

Duiw6dbl.jpg

41LiJgtl.jpg

XkcttIil.jpg

pwm1zfdl.jpg

IezlZUfl.jpg

At1n4Ral.jpg

HiklUrtl.jpg

VWHyWf9l.jpg

c3SuvGIl.jpg

D6PKdivl.jpg

qJWvj6Kl.jpg

vOQvZW7l.jpg

For sure an unusual one. Could the "S" stamp could be for Suhl?
Congratulations for another rare bird!

My initial research into the S-stamp revealed a few examples from older posts, in the early 2000's. Back then it was noted that the stamp only appeared on these post-war assembled parts from Spreewerk.

But when I posted most recently on the P.38 Forum, I was informed that a few late-war pistols from Spreewerk also have also been observed with the stamp, and that its meaning is still unknown.

Back
Top Bottom