Visiting Springfield Armory today

Not a lot to see their unfortunately. When I went out that way I planned a road trip because of the distance. I went by the Smith & Wesson plant, Springfield Armory, New England Air Museum in Windsor Locks CT, original Colt factory and the surrounding area of Hartford.

SA NHS? It's cool. They have some videos about the history. Less than 20% of their arms are on display at any one time, but the historical progression of firearm technology (and how they were produced) they show isn't equaled.

While Eli Whitnet is credited with inventing mass production, SANHS makes a good case that they were the originators and he copied it from them.

The United States Department of War sponsored the development of interchangeable parts for guns produced at the arsenals at Springfield, Massachusetts and Harpers Ferry, Virginia (now West Virginia) in the early decades of the 19th century, finally achieving reliable interchangeability by about 1850.[2] This period coincided with the development of machine tools, with the armories designing and building many of their own. Some of the methods employed were a system of gauges for checking dimensions of the various parts and jigs and fixtures for guiding the machine tools and properly holding and aligning the work pieces.

This system came to be known as armory practice or the American system of manufacturing, which spread throughout New England aided by skilled mechanics from the armories who were instrumental in transferring the technology to the sewing machines manufacturers and other industries such as machine tools, harvesting machines and bicycles.

Singer Manufacturing Co., at one time the largest sewing machine manufacturer, did not achieve interchangeable parts until the late 1880s, around the same time Cyrus McCormick adopted modern manufacturing practices in making harvesting machines.[2]

Last edited:
I took my son there a few years ago and thought it was pretty cool. It takes less than a couple hours to see everything. We went right after I ordered my first M1 Garand.

One thing to note, it sits on a college campus so it is a GFZ. Sadly ironic.

I've been there 3x over the last few years, and I find it fascinating. There are not only lots of cool guns from throughout American history (and some other countries too, as I remember), but interesting displays of early American industry and its practices. The gun industry was one of the sparks of the industrial revolution.

Finally making the visit to SA today.

Every time I'm out that way on the Pike and see the sign, I say to myself that I have to make time for a visit one day. It's about 2 hours from my house.

Somehow convinced the girlfriend to go with me... I'm not sure if she knows what she's getting herself into. We're heading out shortly.

Anyone else been? Unfortunately I've read that the upper room is off-limits these days.

They had a great exhibit last year when they did the famous guns of the movies. They had movie props, rubber guns and actual rifles and pistols from many different famous movies. They also had tv screens showing clips from the movies where the actors had the gun. I don't know if they are ever going to do it again, but it was a pretty cool idea for an exhibit.

The Springfield Armory was highlighted on Chronicle Boston this week. So I'd expect there will be an uptick in interest.
Looked like most of the collection is not on exhibit. They said the have the largest collection of confederate rifles in the country but it looked like those were out of the publics view.

I started my college degrees at STCC and my son went there as an 7 grade field trip ( pretty awesome though they tried to fire the teacher).

the fence around the STCC campus, and the SA museum, is made from melted down Revolutionary was cannons. The BLDG across the street that is now a technology park, has some of the nicest barrel vaulted ceilings throughout the building that was used to support the machinery used to produce the weapons.

Sadly, it is in a lousy neighborhood. There is a small section down the street in the Springfield museum for Indian motorcycles whose plant was just up the street as well.

Red Rose Pizza pretty good toto, on Main Street.

The Springfield Armory was highlighted on Chronicle Boston this week. So I'd expect there will be an uptick in interest.
Looked like most of the collection is not on exhibit. They said the have the largest collection of confederate rifles in the country but it looked like those were out of the publics view.
It's the second largest small arms collection in the world, but only one of five is on display at any time.

I'm back.

The Museum was a little underwhelming. Wish there was more than just the displays, or a way to get up closer to some of the guns. Some highlights, the pre-production Garand shop models and Garands with 1, 2 and 3million S/Ns. Noticed many of the other display Garands had their serial numbers ground off.

As a 1903 shooter/collector, seeing the Rod bayonet model was interesting as were some of the development models that ultimately became the 1903. The 1903 trench devices were also worth looking at.

I also enjoyed looking at the M16A1 model they had displayed - I love the retro ARs.

On the other side was the Blanchard stock lathe along with other shop and machining tools.

Springfield is a hole. A lot of abandoned buildings and urban decay. Back in the day, it must have been a nice area as were many old Mill Cities. We attempted to stop downtown for Lunch, got out of the car, looked around and I said NFW. Ended up seeing some other non-firearm related sites out in that neck of the woods before heading home.

Last edited:
A little of topic but does anyone know what happened to the gun display at Heritage Muesam?

My Mother worked there in 1943 while waiting for her uptake date for the Navy. She had some interesting stories.

DSCF0495_zps8b6862d3.jpg

If you are ever offered the opportunity to go upstairs drop everything and take it! I was there for several hours and saw maybe 10% For your viewing pleasure:
One of many rows of rolling vaults:

More to follow. Photobucket sucks!

Last edited:
If you are ever offered the opportunity to go upstairs drop everything and take it! I was there for several hours and saw maybe 10% For your viewing pleasure:
One of many rows of rolling vaults:

More to follow. Photobucket sucks!

So your saying, when the zombies come nes is taking over Springfield?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Sorry. I don't mean to hijack this thread, but thought a lot of you would appreciate the pics from upstairs. They could easily charge money for those tours!

Can you still arrange private tours for small groups? I did this with a scout troop about 12 years ago.

I asked for a tour upstairs when I went with my son a couple years ago and was told that they no longer offer them. Doesn't hurt to inquire though. Maybe they would with a small group and an advanced reservation.

Back
Top Bottom