Vibratory case cleaner is toast

I guess I put the kibosh on my case cleaner asking about putting oxidized brass through it, it crapped out today. Actually, I think I've been overloading it. Any recommendations on a new one? I was using the RCBS smaller model. Is the Dillon CV-2001 decent? I also plan to replace the motor on the RCBS with a MUCH larger electric motor. I'm thinking 1/2 HP. What other options are there for Vibratory cleaners?

I have 2 tumblers. One is a Hornady tumbler that no longer works. It crapped out on me. I contacted Hornady when it died and they said to simply "buy a new one." Not too bad for customer support.... NOT!!!!

So I bought the Dillon CV-2001 and this thing rocks. You can throw 1000 cases in without a problem and it cleans much faster than the Hornady. This tumbler has much more power and is noticeably better made. Plus, if this one dies I'll just call Dillon up and get it fixed or replace and NOT have to buy a new one.

I've never been a fan of vibratory cleaners when using dry medium. As for tumblers, I've had a Thumblers Model B for [censored; a lot] years and it continues to work like the day I acquired it.

The world is divided into two classes of people (here we go again): those who have a fetish for clean, shiny cases that look like factory new, and those who don't. I'm in the former group.

Plus, if this one dies I'll just call Dillon up and get it fixed or replace and NOT have to buy a new one.

Dillon's No Questions Asked Replacement policy only applies to the their presses and press parts. The scales, tumblers, etc. are not covered. As per their website...

All the electrical/electronic components of Dillon equipment are covered by a one-year warranty from date of purchase.

While the Dillon tumbler is probably the best out there, it isn't covered for life. I recently got a decent deal on a Lyman 2500 Pro Magnum from Natchez a few months back.

http://www.natchezss.com/category.c...8&subCategory=478&catLevel=2&prodID=LY7631692

It holds more cases then the normal sized tumblers. So far I'm happy with it. Hope to get five years out of it as I do tend to overload at times.

I have a Lyman that works fine. I had a Frankford that was cheap but did not last so I went back to Lyman. I like corn cob. It may not clean a really bad case as well or as fast, it puts a nice shine on a clean case.

I have a Lyman tumbler. I got it from some guy on Ebay who was selling off his fathers reloading stuff. He said it was used, but when it got here, it was brand new. I paid $30 for it, and it's been a very good tumbler for me.

i just bought a Frankford Arsenal from Midway..Nothing fancy or anything like that but it works fine..
I've got one of these that I've had for 3-4 years. A couple guys on GTR said they had problems with the older model motors burning out. Although mine is a newer model as a precaution I only use it outside in the winter which makes the motor run cooler. I pretty much do most of my shooting and reloading in the winter anyway. It's not a good idea to tumble brass indoors anyway because of the media building up lead from the old brass. For me the FA tumbler was a better choice because I couldn't justify the cost of a Dillon one.

I've never been a fan of vibratory cleaners when using dry medium. As for tumblers, I've had a Thumblers Model B for [censored; a lot] years and it continues to work like the day I acquired it.

The world is divided into two classes of people (here we go again): those who have a fetish for clean, shiny cases that look like factory new, and those who don't. I'm in the former group.

I've had a Thumblers for the better part of 25 years and it still works fine,the only thing I've had to replace is the padded washer for the lid that goes under the wing nut

My Lyman is 20+ years old and is still working fine. Taking the bottom shield off to clean out the dust and add some oil to the bearings every so often is a good idea, as well.

Taking the bottom shield off to clean out the dust and add some oil to the bearings every so often is a good idea, as well.

My Lyman 1200 was purchased about five years ago. It was a totally sealed unit with no access to any bearings at all.

I got a dillon 2001 for Xmass. The thing is great and it cleans quicker and better and a ton more at a time. Cannot say enought about it. I also have the Frankford one and it does pretty good for small jobs, but I find I do nto use it very often.

One question to ask yourself is "how much do you shoot and reload?" I shoot 400-1000 rounds a week so I need the biggest tumbler I can get my hands on.

Pete

One question to ask yourself is "how much do you shoot and reload?" I shoot 400-1000 rounds a week so I need the biggest tumbler I can get my hands on.

Pete

I don't shoot even half that, but only have certain time available to reload. When I do have time, I like to reload EVERYTHING. I also like to have a "stash" of components on hand, and that includes clean brass, so yeah, I guess I need a bigger tumbler.

I'm in the process of replacing the motor on my RCBS. Need to fabricate a mount for the replacement motor. The "Executive" model, when finished will sport a 1/3 HP two speed motor with automatic time off from 1 to 5 hours. This will become my backup.

My Lyman took a beating from probably overloading with rifle cases. If all you are using is pistol calibers, the smaller ones will do the trick. The large Dillon's are great for the bigger cases.

Had a FA that crapped out after less than a year. Just bought a replacement. Lyman at Nick's in Palmer for like 59 bucks. We'll see how long it takes to trash this one.

Back
Top Bottom