Very nice early 1903 but the rear sight

I was watching this auction all week and wanted to point out something that I found in picture #19. I actually missed the auction closing because I wanted to wait until the last minute and had an issue with my smart phone. But the selling bid is pretty close to what I would have felt comfortable paying.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=455282944

The stock looks correct but does not have the inspector cartouche.

What had me on the fence about paying more than 1k, is picture #19.

If you look at the receiver picture (#19) and directly right of it, you can see part of the rear sight assembly. If you look carefully at the hash marks on the windage adjustments you can see two little dimples on either side of the windage adjustment. With these older sight bases they can become worn out and move freely. Sometimes people will take a punch and stamp two dimples in the groove to lock it in place. The base is forever locked into place. Now no one really wants to shoot these LN 1903s especially "mostly" or all correct ones. But for me that's hard to get past because the rear sight assembly is ruined and needs to be replaced. You wont notice unless you really look but I guess I over analyze these things. If you see this in a gunshop or show, and most sellers wont even notice you might be able to point it out and help negotiate a better deal as well.

I have a friend that's an collector of 1903s (for many decades) and also a gunsmith. He points these things out to me from time to time that he's seen in his years of buying and selling these guns and I thought I'd take the time to share whatever I learn from him especially if I find it in an online auction.

Not trying to come off as a know it all just like to share a piece of what I thought was good tip to look for and pay it forward.

All the best! Let me know what you guys think about this.

I'd also like to point out I contacted the owner while the auction was still going on to ask some questions. Very very friendly, polite and professional. To me that's incredibly important, sometimes a gun shop owner can be just as shady as a used car salesman. When I find one that's friendly and will chit-chat with you for a few minutes I just really appreciate that. Not that it has any bearing on this auction. I just thought a friendly and courteous seller is worth mentioning.

I've examined one even earlier than this (40,xxx s/n) and it has the proper cartouches on the stock so this must be a replacement. Doesn't look like there's any proof mark on the underside of the stock either as there should be.

Now his wording about the stock is interesting, he describes it as 'correct' not 'original'. Subtle but important distinction. Its a nice gun tho and probably priced about right at the end. I'm kind of wary about the coloration on a couple of the other parts too but overall a nice early 03.

Historically, did soldiers adjust more commonly for windage by mechanically moving rear sights or visually compensating their front sight picture? Sometimes a design feature is disabled in the field and that has collector value too.

Many of the trapdoor rifles with the buffinton sights had their windage pinned so soldiers couldn't move it in the field. Mine did and I had to drill out the pin with a dremel to restore it. Thankfully they did this from underneath so its not visible when the sight is installed.

I think the stock is a replacement. I believe that S/N should be a no bolt stock. And since it's marked 22. I think it was a Hoffer Thompson 22. This was pointed out to me by a more experienced collector.

I haven't seen the pinned rear sight before but anything is possible when you know as little as me. Just when I get to a point I feel "fairly" comfortable about 1903s something new pops up and brings me down several notches. Fate's way of keeping me from becoming arrogant.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom