Vermont

I know in vermont gun laws are extremely leinient. But I was wondering if towns and cities are allowed to place restrictions on guns in Vermont? If so, where? Are the rules any different when your in burlington or montpeilor?

Check out Packing.org.

I quoted the relevant portion below. The ONLY thing the towns/cities/munincipalities may add is a discharge ordinance (as in discharging a firearm within the village is prohibited). This ordinance is fairly common. I live in a very small village, and we have it. I'm sure Burlington and Montpelier have it.

I can shoot, if justified to do so, under provisions of the Neccesity Defense (in VT, we can justify commiting a minor crime to prevent a greater crime). This allows me to shoot someone that breaks into my home, or allows me to shoot a rabid animal.

State/local preemption law
Date updated: Aug 23, 2005 @ 7:11 pm

24 V.S.A. § 2295. Authority of municipal and county governments to regulate firearms, ammunition, hunting, fishing and trapping

Except as otherwise provided by law, no town, city or incorporated village, by ordinance, resolution or other enactment, shall directly regulate hunting, fishing and trapping or the possession, ownership, transportation, transfer, sale, purchase, carrying, licensing or registration of traps, firearms, ammunition or components of firearms or ammunition. This section shall not limit the powers conferred upon a town, city or incorporated village under section 2291(8) of this title. The provisions of this section shall supersede any inconsistent provisions of a municipal charter.

(Added 1987, No. 178 (Adj. Sess.), eff. May 9, 1988.)

Here's what section 2291(8) says:

8) To regulate or prohibit the use or discharge, but not possession of, firearms within the municipality or specified portions thereof.

Back
Top Bottom