Vermont National Forest

Hey Folks

Been checking out some maps, looks like about half the state of Vermont is National Forest. One of my favorite pastimes in SC was doing ruck marches with a more-or-less "combat" loadout. Go into the woods for two days, hike till you drop, then shoot a few rounds type of thing.

Basically need to know where the un-crowded spots in VT are and if anyone is going to have a cow if I shoot some outside of hunting season. I know the federal laws, just didn't know if there are any VT bugaboos or if I'll get "reported" (good reason or no) if some flower-pickin' hippies spot me in the woods. Not that I'm usually spotted. Hehe.

I'm guessing that VT takes it's hunting laws seriously, and would frown on taking an animal out of season, but as I say, it's a guess.

Hiking and shooting should be fine. They are very anti ATV up there, all of the hippies despite their professed love of the woods just walk on dirt roads if they go outside at all. You might get some attention heading off into the woods or leaving a vehicle near a NF around planting and harvest season. Harvest is I believe end of Aug. early Sept. I don't know when people plant.

Taking a game animal out of season is strongly frowned upon, but then again I've never known anyone to get brought up on poaching charges in my 20+ years of living there.

Hiking and shooting should not cause you any problems, but knowingly trespassing will. Please check with the local landowners beforehand. It just might keep a few warning shots from going in your direction.

I didn't read it that the OP was looking to take game outside of hunting season, just that he wanted to shoot in the woods off season. I believe shooting in the woods off season is frowned upon or at least attracts attention in some places. Not a problem in VT.

Back
Top Bottom