Verification of Mass. compliant Glocks

P

pbsesq

As a potential buyer, what is the best way to verify that a post-ban Glock listed for sale in Massachusetts (privately) is in fact Mass. compliant? Is it appropriate to get copies of past FA-10s or some type of confirmation that it's in-state legally due to a residency change? Thanks.

As a potential buyer, what is the best way to verify that a post-ban Glock listed for sale in Massachusetts (privately) is in fact Mass. compliant? Is it appropriate to get copies of past FA-10s or some type of confirmation that it's in-state legally due to a residency change? Thanks.

You have nothing to worry about with a private sale. Even if you were buying it from a dealer it is not your responsibility as the buyer to ensure that the gun is "compliant" - you will be doing nothing wrong if you buy a "non-compliant" Glock. The law only prohibits a licensed dealer from transferring a non-roster handgun, and private sales are exempt.

The only "downside" with a non-roster handgun is that in the future, you will not be able to transfer it through a dealer in Mass if you decide to sell it. This is not really a downside because you can usually sell these quite easily in a private sale.

In a private sale you do not need to verify that a firearm is compliant, that is for sales of handguns by Mass. licensed dealers only.

Thanks for the info. , but my question is not if I'm required to verify, but rather, what is the best way to verify (if I choose to do so)? As the thread indicates there can be good reasons to want to verify.

P.S. Still, I thought the weapon had to be in Mass. legally somehow even if it's a private sale.

Thanks again.

If someone possesses it in MA on a LTC, it IS here "legally"!! That is all that a private buyer needs to know.

The list of Glock S/Ns matched with "DOBs" is found on www.glocktalk.com buried in their "stuff you need to know" Sticky. I think we have a reference to the exact thread somewhere here, but not certain. If you use Advanced Search on "GlockTalk" in the Gun Laws forum here perhaps you can find the link.

Yes, I did that strictly out of curiosity on when my guns were made.

ETA: As I was writing this Mike was nice enough to post the link. Thanks!

Like LenS said, if the person is an LTC holder and he owns the gun, it is here legally and may be transferred through private sale. There is no way for you to verify anything beyond that besides the small number of pre-98 Gen 3s. Newer Glocks may have made their way into the state via entirely legal means but there will be no way to 100% verify that, so most dealers will not transfer these firearms. However, it is FULLY LEGAL for you to purchase these Glocks (or any other post 98 noncompliant/non EOPS firearm) from a resident MA LTC holder in a private sale.

Ok, here's one for the gurus: What if that Glock that someone has moved here with happens to come with post-ban hi-cap mags. Those mags are still a felony to possess here, no?

Ok, here's one for the gurus: What if that Glock that someone has moved here with happens to come with post-ban hi-cap mags. Those mags are still a felony to possess here, no?

Yes! Unless the guy is an LEO there is no way he can legally have those mags. And he can't sell/give them to a non-LEO.

Back
Top Bottom