Value of M1 Garand? Input greatly appreciated.

I'm not very knowledgeable on these guns and am considering buying one. What would you figure the value is of a post-war M1 Garand with a serial number in the high 280,000s. A clear coat has been applied to the stock and the barrel has been replaced with a 1944 match grade barrel, which doesn't make a lot of sense to me, but apparently that's what it says on the barrel, and that's what I've been told by the store selling. Any ideas. I really appreciate any input. The action seems to be in relatively good condition, but the barrel and sights have mild to moderate wear as does the stock. Thanks.

I have no idea what they go for on the free market but take a look at a Garand from the CMP as a comparison.

Note that unless you drive to the store you will be buying it sight unseen, and wait several months for it. However, I'm very happy with my service grade H&R from the CMP.

Wherever you buy one from you still want to get registered with the CMP so you can buy some Greek surplus .30-06 while there is still some to buy.

PS: Welcome to the forum.

Welcome to NES.

First off, a number in the 280,000's is not post war but most likely just barely pre-war or early wartime production. I don't have my book handy to check for sure.

Most early rifles were re-barreled at one time or another so that is not a biggy.

Garands are going for a lot of money these days so it is hard to set a price without seeing it. What are they asking for it?

Last edited:
Can you not fire regular 30-06 in these rifles? Please excuse my ignorance.

I have no idea what they go for on the free market but take a look at a Garand from the CMP as a comparison.

Note that unless you drive to the store you will be buying it sight unseen, and wait several months for it. However, I'm very happy with my service grade H&R from the CMP.

Wherever you buy one from you still want to get registered with the CMP so you can buy some Greek surplus .30-06 while there is still some to buy.

PS: Welcome to the forum.

Welcome to NES.

First off, a number in the 280,000's is not post war but most likely just barely pre-war of early wartime production. I don't have my book handy to check for sure.

Most early rifles were re-barreled at one time or another so that is not a biggy.

Garands are going for a lot of money these days so it is hard to set a price without seeing it. What are they asking for it?

Thanks for the welcome. They're asking about $1300.

Can you not fire regular 30-06 in these rifles? Please excuse my ignorance.

If you haven't modified the gas system you shouldn't. Commercial ammo is usually loaded hotter and can damage the operating rod. See this link.

Besides, the Greek surplus is cheaper than what you can buy in the store (for now anyways).

highway robbery. It would be cheaper to drive to CMP and pick one up.

Thanks for all the input, and so quickly! I really appreciate it. In any case, I thought the price was a little steep given the condition. I also didn't realize that you couldn't shoot commercial 30-06 of which I already have a surplus.

I'm not very knowledgeable on these guns and am considering buying one. What would you figure the value is of a post-war M1 Garand with a serial number in the high 280,000s. A clear coat has been applied to the stock and the barrel has been replaced with a 1944 match grade barrel, which doesn't make a lot of sense to me, but apparently that's what it says on the barrel, and that's what I've been told by the store selling. Any ideas. I really appreciate any input. The action seems to be in relatively good condition, but the barrel and sights have mild to moderate wear as does the stock. Thanks.

That doesn't make a lot of sense to me either. A replacement barrel is normal, but I'd like to know what they mean by "match grade".

Sounds like a typical rebuilt M1 with a ruined stock. $650
The parts that are on the rifle are what would determine the value. If there are any early parts (flush-nut sights, etc.) it could be worth more than your average rebuild, but you would need reference books to determine that.

I have to agree with the "Highway Robbery" comment above. For that amount of money you could by two Garands at the CMP. It may take a little longer to get from the CMP, but you know right up front that it will be a shooter and in the condition they specify. If there's something wrong with it, they will make it right. Never ran into a seller that would back a firearm sale like that. Yeah, there are a few requirements for the CMP, but it's well worth it.

In the condition your indicating and the price you've stated, I'd pass without a second thought.

I agree that it is a rebuilt rifle with a ruined stock. I'd have to replace the stock, which would be another 100 - 200 bucks. I also didn't like the way they were very vague about the rebuilt barrel. thanks again. I'll look elsewhere for a better deal.

My grandfather used to have 3 M1 Garand rifles that were used in competition shooting. I've seen some "Match" grade barrels. Typically this means that the chamber is cut to minimum dimentional specs rather than the standard military chamber specs to improve accuracy.

If the barrel is stamped "Match" then it is not a replaced GI barrel but an aftermarket replacement. It may have other target/competition modifications as well. "Leading the stock" was another common modification.

Back
Top Bottom