Value of Imported M1 carbines

40 caliber

NES Member
So I was lurking on another board and I came across a couple M1 carbines. Both appear to be in VGC in the price range of $575 to $625 shipped. They are imported.

With the CMP marketplace gone this appears to be a pretty good price. CMP used to get ~$595 for a service grade shipped. Maybe I am not looking in the right places but I dont see them at this price anymore.

Are imported carbines valued that much lower? I have read there is no difference any more in the value between USGI and imported USGI because of demand.....I understand a pure GI may command a little more because of its history. What are your thoughts?

I think it all comes down to the dreaded import stamp. Plus some companies have been known for importing some ratty looking rifles and after all, they don't inspect and grade them like CMP does.
Myself I'd pay a little more and pick one up at a show or shop. At least you can ask questions about it and check it out before you buy it.

There are some on sale at a large dealer out of state however they are most likely import stamped and the condition of them is the luck of the draw.

I did see one come in at the Marlboro show, Inland receiver,bayo lug, and the wood is in perfect condition. The bore is very good. I did not disassemble the rifle to check if all the parts were Inland however the barrel is. I think, its just a guess, its an early DCMP rifle. I can call the owner and ask what he is asking for it. Just PM me if you are interested. I think it was in the $750 range but I could be wrong.

//
Are imported carbines valued that much lower? I have read there is no difference any more in the value between USGI and imported USGI because of demand.....I understand a pure GI may command a little more because of its history. What are your thoughts?
There were so many M1 Carbines made that most of the ones on the market should really be valued as shooters rather than collector arms. Most of them on the market have the late war mods and are unremarkable except for what they are: a light, easy to handle carbine with low recoil. Every time I pick one up I'm surprised by how handy they are.

Import stamped Carbines used to sell for around $400, but now they seem to sell for $5-600. I paid $600 for a Blue Sky import IBM in really nice shape, and probably overpaid.

So if you want one for a collection, get a DCM/CMP rifle from a collector. If you just want a shooter, some of the imports are fine.

There have been a number of non-imports for sale on the CMP classified forum for between $595-695 (on the low end). I would actually get one of those rather than an import marked carbine from that online dealer. I have picked up really nice import stamped carbines in the past though, but I was able to see & touch them before buying.

The prices I've been seeing lately for the import marked carbines are $450ish on the low end to $800-900 for the Bavarian Rural Police & Forestry ones.

Ash

Don't forget, the Wilmington gun show is coming up in the first week of March.

And if you don't mind the drive, Zero Hour just got a bunch of carbines in from a collector including a few with original sights and no bayonet lug.

Don't forget, the Wilmington gun show is coming up in the first week of March.

And if you don't mind the drive, Zero Hour just got a bunch of carbines in from a collector including a few with original sights and no bayonet lug.

I saw those a few weeks ago (I think they're the same ones). Nice bunch of carbines.

Back
Top Bottom